News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR July 2-3 Santa Barbara, CA

Started by Marpat Pippi, July 03, 2011, 11:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marpat Pippi

It was a great event this weekend.  :~ :~

Pictures were delegated to Nero and A.Q.T. Monster ~~:) See Below! ~~:)

The Sun was out and Saturday was hotter  >:Dthan most Santa Barbara folks are used to, but tough weather begets tough participants. I was proud of all of them, as they stuck out the heat, put on their sunscreen, drank their water 8) and all stayed to the end.....and came back the next day. Sunday proved to be improved weather, decreased temperature with a breeze, and  ^:)^POP-Ups  ^:)^magically appeared overnight for SHADE, making for an excellent Day 2.

In celebration of Independence Days (July 2 & 4) we read the Declaration of  Independence and reviewed the Bill of Rights. The quickest way to lose your freedoms is to not know what they are.  Don't forget the 9th Amendment...the Bill of Rights isn't an exhaustive list.

Tom and Edgar were soo close to Riflemen, above 200 :~ :--- :~. Both of them will be back with their ROCs to make it happen, and then hopefully don a handsome shade of orange.

We had a great show of Homeschool Families: :)

Steve brought his family, wife Debbie, and daughters Hannah and Clara.  ..:.. ..:.. ..:..
Kirsten brought her children, Matt, Ashley, and Lauren, and on Sunday Chester (Dad) joined us.
Donna brought her son Argus
Benji and his son Kayote.

most of whom (women and children) were beginning shooters who by the end of the weekend were safely and efficiently handling and operating their rifles, completing transitions and mag changes, and shooting from all positions. 

:--- Many were qualifying as Marksman or Sharpshooter by the end of the weekend.  :~

John and Christine were unfazed by the heat, used to shooting in the CA desert with their Camo-American Flag Decorated ARs.

Gary brought his Granson out to give him some extra exposure to marksmanship and history.

Sara and Tristan joined us from SLO county and showed steady improvement.

Ace and Na, here on summer vacation from Taiwan (where guns are illegal :'() enjoyed "blasting some caps"  ;) and put lots of holes in paper!

Joseph also did a great job improving his marksmanship, and his sister joined us on Sunday to learn how to shoot safely.

All those yoot stuck through to the end of the day, maintained great attitudes and safety, despite the heat, and were deserving of the Luther Blanchard Patch.

:bow: THANK YOU TO ALL OUR VOLUNTEER INSTRUCTORS! :bow:
Mr Pete came up at the last minute  :sos: with his wife and daughter in tote. Nero and American Amazon traveled down from No. Cal. and A.Q.T Monster and L0ck3 joined us from So.Cal. and of course the Handsome Marpat Whittemore. Thanks for all your help in making a great shoot!

Great Histories were told by all and at the end of it all....we added a  ^:)^ Red Hat  ^:)^ to our ranks! Congratulations Nero!

....and a Green Hat ::)...see below.

nerodia

Thanks for all the training, history and time you and all the Appleseed people put in this past weekend. We will definitely be back. I forgot to hand in the personal info/comments page before we left. How can I get it to you?

Nero

OK, here we go with Day One photos:

The calm before - setting up the target line

Morning safety briefing

We have not yet begun to roast  ;D  Day 1 line - right side

Day 1 line - left side (Debbie got the memo about 'no camouflage'  **) )

Seriously, it was awesome to see so many families turn out for some heritage and marksmanship on Independence Day weekend, and stick to it through the heat and dust.  Who says Californians can't persevere?

Day 1 benediction

Our posterity, that's what it's all about

And for those who were too focused to notice, this range is in a bee-oot-iful spot.  A little of Mother Nature's eye candy - right next to the line

Bush poppy - I'd never seen so many in one place

Sticky monkeyflower

Day 2 to follow...
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

Day 2

The fleet is in

Far away, in a land called Appleseed, the natives carry shooting mats to the range atop their heads  **)

Once burnt, twice wise...

...the pop-ups are out in force on Day 2

Got it made in the shade

Some nice prone positions - I do hope there's sunscreen on those legs...

AQT Monster on the big boomer end of the line

Their flags to April's July's breeze unfurled...

Instructors are kept on the run

You know you're an Appleseed family when even the dog has 'ears'

Briefing for the AQT

Some tales of Dangerous Dames

Nero kibitzing on Edgar and Steve

Did you know that becoming a shoot boss turns you into a zebra?  **)

Being promoted to instructor has the same effect

Just putting on an RWVA hat seems to have a zebra-fying result  ^:)^

Seriously, if anyone took pix of the awards from the correctly lit side, would you post 'em?   :wb:

Strike the tents, the party's over, but we'll be back...

The complete album is at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/timoren/SantaBarbara711#
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

American Amazon

This was the 5th shoot at which I acted as a blue hat, my 2nd "away game", and it was another great shoot for me, despite the heat.  (Nero and I went through unprecedented amounts of water and sunscreen!)

I did my usual morning admin, plus carrying targets to shooters, and scoring AQT's.  It was a different experience for me because most of the shooters at my home range (Chabot in Castro Valley) are individual adults with experience, and most of the shooters here were families who had never shot before.  We didn't make any Riflemen   :(  but we did promote Marpat Pippi to Shoot Boss, and my husband Nero to red-hat Instructor!

Pippi had invited me to tell some of the Sunday histories, so I researched Prudence Cummings Wright and Elizabeth Zane, and had a blast telling their stories.

Nero and I also had a great time meeting Marpat Pippi, Marpat Whittemore, AQT Monster, and Lock3 - we'd previously met Mr. Pete - and we all worked together like we'd done it a dozen times before.  Just shows you what great people they are, and what great people Appleseed brings together!   :)

Looking forward to the next time we get to work with the folks we met (but hoping the weather is cooler!),
American Amazon
"We are no ways dispirited here, we possess a spirit that will not be conquered. If our men are all drawn off and we should be attacked, you would find a race of Amazons in America." -Abigail Adams (letter to husband John dated 9/20/1776)

Cal 7.62

Looks like a great time was had by all.  ;)
3 Huzzah's for Pippi.   ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ The green compliments your smile.  :)
Hope to see you on the trail sometime.
Congrats on the new red hat and thanks for sharing the pics Nero.  O0
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

L0ck3

This was a fun and fantastic 'seed.  Great to meet everyone and and congratulations to Nero earning his RED HAT and Marpat Pippi making the GREEN HAT (hilarious Pippi icon).

Cant wait till next SB shoot and see how much everyone has improved, especially with three shooters knocking on the rifleman's badge this weekend.

BTW, the CMP info is at http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm

Thanks.
L0ck3 (Tom)
310-709-5608
I am capital L zero c k three on Appleseed forum and LibertySeed forum.

Every man has a property in his own person. This nobody has a right to, but himself.
--John Locke

Government has no other end, but the preservation of property.
--John Locke

Marpat Pippi

Attention Shooters: I send out a followup email with all kinds of informative goodies in it...if you did not receive it, and would like to...please PM me with your email.

Mr Pete

Words cannot express my admiration of parents that take responsibility for their children's education.  So few in the world take the time to live their values and actually pass them on.  It was great to see so many families enjoying the weekend together.  As the father of a 5 year old I can't wait until we can all go to an Appleseed together.  Argus told me that he was shooting the family rifle and that it will become his.  I felt his excitement.  I have the Ruger 10/22 that my father taught me on when I was his age.

I am glad I came and was able to meet great students and more of my Appleseed family.  I was totally in my instructor's bubble when the gopher snake slithered between my legs.  The Appleseed trail is never boring but it does get hot.  Hats off to all the shooters who steadily improved in spite of the heat and circumstances.

A heart felt congratulations to Nero and Pippi. 

I hope to see you all again on the Appleseed trail,
-Pete
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

nerodia

And we think you and the other Appleseed people are wonderful role models for our children in a day when there are so few real role models around. Thanks for putting so much into this program!

Mr Pete

Shucks...we're just doing what we must.

I forgot to mention that I'm a stay-at-home Dad.  I work nights and volunteer at my daughter's school in addition to being on the school site council.  My admiration comes from the fact that I know what parents are going through and the dedication it takes.  I absolutely understand what they are doing and I take heart that others will do what they must.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

nerodia

Wow - that is fantastic - what a lucky daughter you have!