News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RBC AAR - Burlington Flats 05-1-1 Sargeant!

Started by kDan, May 10, 2011, 10:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

Just sitting here in VietVet's camper on the windiest hilltop in NY State.  All's well... so far.  Tomorrow we go to KD.  We've made 1 new Rifleman out of five shooters and hope to pull a couple more out sgtrock's dirty red hat tomorrow.

Jay Haich (aka "pocket", pronounced like Hugh Grant would pronouce it) from Connecticut has some sort of mysterious, folding internet communicator that works from mountaintops in the middle of nowhere and he's twisting my arm so here goes the place holder for any and all comers with photos and comments (in particular "Jay Haich").

Btw, we've got a South African, a Canadian, and a guy from Manhattan via China.  Feels kinda like Brooklyn, except the pizza...

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

The Log

We have a little game at CT shoots - it's called, "Guess Jay Haich's Accent." The almost-universal answer is Australian. I recognized his accent right away, but only because I had a roommate once whose parents were from South Africa, so I had heard plenty of it. When he reveals his country of origin, the look on the shooters' faces almost seem to say, "South Africa? Is there a North Africa?" The gods must be crazy.

Good luck to all the RBC shooters. Jay Haich, we'll expect you back on the line right after this little luxe vacation of yours, with additional madness added to your already mad skills.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

Fred

Quote from: kDan on May 10, 2011, 10:48:13 PM
We've made 1 new Rifleman...

So, how many new instructors are you working on?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Nickle

Yup, my thoughts exactly, Fred!!!!

You know, we can put that Canadian to good use in Northern NY or VT, if you talk him into joining the Instructor ranks.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

sgtrock

Not realizing it was the first RBC north of the Mason Dixon (what I was told),

I was more concerned about making sure that everything was set, and that the students were going to have the best instruction possible,,, Day one,, all of the 1st day of P.O.I. was taught and gone over, except the 3rd strike,,,, so it was done on day 2,,,the day was long, but rewarding for all,,, red coat,,, and a lot of squares were shot up on sunday,,, positions were tweaked, tightened, trigger drills, NPOA Drills, cadence drills, were done,, ball and dummy,, carding sights,,, groups got smaller,, The importance of everything that we do was explained, and demonstrated on day one,,, everyone had a great desire to learn,,,

We had PA, CT, NY, VT and Canada represented here,,,   We had one Rifleman accept the Orange hat and he worked the AS Shoot after the RBC, he hails from the Buffalo area and is registered on the forums as Tuscarora, A Marine!!!! He has what it takes and the desire to teach,,, He will researching range opportunities for us in his area,,,  I am sure we will have that dark spot in western NY lit up shortly,,,   

Everyone camped at the club,,, and I think we are pretty much done with pizza for awhile at least I am,,,,

I would like to Thank ,The Burlington Flats Fish and Game Club for hosting this event, and supporting Appleseed to the great extent they do,,,,

To The Students at this shoot,,, I am very grateful for the opportunity it was to serve you,,, it was great camaraderie, it was funny at times through out the week,,, and very instructional for me as well,,, a few nicknames were developed but that will have stay a secret until they who own them, gives it up,,, Right   "Clicky, Clicky",,,, This man had us laughing all the time,,, Just a great individual,,,,

I'll leave room the Shoot Boss to put in a few lines,,, I am still whupped,,

sgtrock

kDan

Stoner beat me to it!  HA!  o well, my post still stands...

We made one new IIT (2?) out of five shooters, and guess what...  he's in the wilderness of western NY state where we no longer have any ranges or very much activity at all for that matter.  Tuscarora looks like a promising Instructor and it looks like we can expect some range reach-outs in the Buffalo / Rochester area.  Very good news indeed. 

Respect to S Allen - we'll be talking about that Canadian Appleseed soon; and to The Corporation - I don't know if it's true but I heard somewhere that you shot a 189 on Friday!;  Jay Haich, besides charming the local waitresses, showed everybody what the word consistency means, shooting about 20 Rifleman scores including a 244 and a FDAQT RF score;  and Alan from Vermont, steady, solid and a reliable shooter as well as a gentleman.  As usual, the best thing about Appleseed is the people you meet, and spending a week with folks like this is a pleasure not to be over-stated.

We went through the RBC POI to the letter.  The KD talk and game of find the instructor in the tire pile were certainly my favorite parts, but of course those who know me also know that if I can talk uninterrupted for two hours and then hide in the bushes - I'm in heaven.  We should all be grateful to SgtRock for providing the range and for really being the motivator behind this whole event.  I was late the first day because of vehicle issues (I no longer have one - Appleseed ate my car) and missed the Mock Appleseed day because of a medical emergency.  SgtRock and Spanner held the fort like the professionals I know them to be.  I also want to thank VietVet for the camper sleep-overs and the Raspberry Danish Twist - sorry I didn't offer you any, brother but I just can't help it - what they do to me those things.

The emergency had nothing to do with the event and took place off campus, but I will go so far as to say that Charlie Hotel has increased the respect I already had for him.  Calverton's very own alumnus and an IIT3 showed up Thursday afternoon and after one sighter group proceeded to shoot a 221 on his first ever FDAQT.  As if that weren't enough, I personally witnessed him seventh stepping the EMT's in the ambulance as he lay strapped to the gurney.  Hardcore.  No it wasn't the calzone that got him this time, but the name "Bloody Curve" has taken on a new meaning to the B flats crew.  Five Eleven!!!

I hope Spanner, SgtRock, VietVet and the shooters have more to add.  I can add more as well if needed.

Big Smile.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

VietVet

My hats off to all involved in this RBC.

Quite an interesting group of both Shooters and Instructors.
Congrats to all, but I must say those 5 Shooters just wouldn't quit. Derek, Steve, Allan, James & Shane kept us entertained not only with their personalities but totally impressed with their persistence.
I can remember sitting there at night and watching them still going at it well after the RBC had ended for the day.

Well lets just say it started on Sunday and they were still going through Friday. Some stayed and did the Appleseed on Saturday and Sunday.   
I need a rest just thinking about it.

It was a great event and I know we all have several new friends. It reminds me of going through regular Army Boot Camp. You leave having several NEW Brothers.

We bonded as did those who met on the hill outside Concord.
As on April 19, 1775 we came from all areas of the Northeast (3 originating from other Countries). We came as 9, we left as 1.

We became a team. I'm sure this is an experience that all will remember forever.

Thanks guys....an honor to be on that team.

Burlington Flats - 05-1-1!

I have photos but by now most should know I still haven't attended the Photo Bucket RBC so I'll forward them to someone that has figured that process out.
Stay tuned....
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Jay Haich

Just a quick post to try and get a few photos up (to show it DID happen). Trying a "new" method and lets see if it works:
http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb375/lynjayhan/RBC%20BFlats%200-5-1-1/

More photos and a commentry to follow...

JH
B-Flats: Zero - Five - One - One
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

CharlieHotel

Great meeting you all, despite my abbreviated visit. I look forward to working with you in the future... Welcome Tuscarora, great to have another Brother amongst us.

SgtRock, My application is on it's way... Thanks for taking care of my Girl for me.
What can I say about KDan other than you don't want him babysitting you when you got Broke ribs... Wouldn't stop makin me laugh. :-/
all kidding aside I owe ya big time brotha...

When we are at Appleseed we are "Livin the Life" Saving America and making a difference, doing what we love!

Charlie Hotel is "Oscar Mike"

CH
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

Tuscarora

Thanks to all who attended, and instructed at the RBC last week.  I had a good time and look forward to spreading some seeds of my own.  See you all soon.

Tusky Out.
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

~Ernest Hemingway

Mph_VT

Things always take me a while.  I don't know if you guys remember that.

When I returned to Vermont I had to hit the ground running and it has been somewhat relentless.  Altho I did feel that running sensation during the RBC also.

I feel bad I didn't get much photography done. I spent so much time shooting that I didn't get much shooting in, but early one of the first mornings I did get some of the range:

Burlington Flats Morning

Range Morning

The camera and the bicycle both semed to fall to the wayside that week.

Jay nice photo of the group at the flag pole.

The week, the RBC had to be one of the most positive experiences I've had in ever so long.

I can't remember  enjoying  such good company as much as the group in Burlington Flats 05.11; Better people cannot be found. Like kDan said 'spending a week with folks like this is a pleasure not to be over-stated. '

The training was excellent, the few times I was able to get out to the range back home I've been hitting 6 minutes at 400 consistently; next to try for 500.

I'm sure there's more I wanted to say but the CRS is really acting up these days.

I hope I run into all you guys again in the days to come.

Burlington Flats 05.11 Sergeant!
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.

Learned Hand

Sir, the gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.             

Ethan Allen

sallen

Hi Everyone,
   I may be a little on the late side, but I wanted to say thanks to everyone. This was well worth the trip down from the Great White North. I definitely learned a lot and hope to get back down in the near future.

Steve

sgtrock

Alan,,,

Nice pictures and glad you could post,, it was great to have you on the line all week,,, I hope to see you at future shoots as well,,, Looking forward to having your Nephew on the line this weekend,,,

Steve,,,

How's everything up in Canada, I hope well,,, Sure would like to see you again at a shoot, we have 3 more shoots scheduled for this year at B-Flats, so if either one of you are in this neck of the woods, feel free to drop in,,, Thanks for all your contributions to this shoot, it is people like yourselves that make it all worthwhile,,,

Take care

sgtrock