News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Gardnerville, NV

Started by Chris_H, May 30, 2011, 01:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris_H

We had fun shoot this weekend which the weather kept quite interesting.

We had 16 shooters come out to learn & have fun, and that's what we did.  :)

On Saturday, the weather was fairly chilly with a fair bit of wind. After getting starting Redcoat scores, we jumped into positions, the 6 steps, and the rest. When we broke for lunch, we took some shelter from the wind & some cold, but light, drizzling in the lee of an RV, and talked about the events of April 19th, 1775.

By the end of the day, we had practiced all the fundamentals, and shot 1 AQT. The Redcoats at the end of the day showed marked improvement! Good job everyone!  O0

On Sunday morning, the range was covered with a light layer of snow, and while the wind had lessened, the drop of 20 degrees made up for it.  Over the weekend that is usually considered the "gateway to summer", the term "Winterseed" came to many minds! ;D

Snow & several icy roads caused us to get a bit of a late start, but we began with our Sunday AM Redcoat, then moved through our review of the fundamentals.

We had quite a mix of weather through the day. Snow off & on, breezes picking up & slacking off, & even marble sized hail!

Nonetheless, we continued on, gathering under shelter as necessary, and shot our first AQT of the day right before lunch.

I'm very happy & proud to say that our host Featherblue's wife Susie shot her first Rifleman score on that first AQT of the day - a 219!! She has been a wonderful example of persistence - Way to go!

After sharing more inspiring stories of April 19'th with the shooters we kept on, shooting 3 more AQT's before declining scores made it apparent that fatigue & the weather had finally brought us to the point of diminishing returns. The shooters agreed & so we shot our final Redcoat.

Overall, we had one new rifleman, and 2 returning, with a few others coming quite close. With a bit of practice at home, we'll likely see at least a few more at the next Appleseed here!

I'd like to say "Good job" to everyone, & thank you, especially Featherblue & Susie for providing a great range!

Nero

Thanks to the Nevadans for their hospitality to us border raiders.  (We'll give you credit for the sunny bits and forget the rest of the weather **) )  We'll be back!  O0 Meanwhile, some pix!

Saturday AM.  Volunteers and early birds setting up.

Don't you wish this was your backyard?  :D  Thanks to Terry and Susie for sharing theirs with us.  :bow:

The mountains played hide and seek with us all weekend.

Nature's grand classroom (LayloPro and Chris_H instructing)

Glad that shelter had plenty of 'steady hold factors'.  It was trying to take off towards Salt Lake City.

The full Saturday line  :---

Saturday benediction.  An appropriate remembrance on Memorial Day weekend.  :bow:

Did I say Memorial Day?  What's this then?  :o  (That sign was plastered with snow before we scraped it off...)

Were there any Winterseed patches in that shoot box, Chris?

Now that's 'seeding in style!  O0  But you've gotta come out of there sometime, Eugene and Berneta!  **)

Sunday AM line  :~  (45 minutes after the last shots - the white is almost gone.)

Another 15 minutes.  A little white starts again as Nero watches the line.

Ouch!   $$-0  That's hail!  Eugene runs for it as the stones reach marble size...

First time I've tipped hailstones out of actions while clearing the line... ^:)^

A rifle(wo)man persists!  Congrats to Susie on the well-earned patch!   O0 O0

Strike the tents, the party's over!  But we'll be back - and in the mean time - tacos, not burritos!   ~~:)  **)

For those who never looked down around their feet.  We're also wildflower buffs, so just have to share one bit of Nevada spring winter spring.

(Long-leaf phlox)

(Full album at https://picasaweb.google.com/timoren/GardnervilleAS511#)
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

TrebleShooter

Sounds like it Was a fun shoot! Huzzah for Susie!

oldfudd

Man, those pictures with surrounding scenery were absolutely beautiful.  Wish you could send some mountains and related snow down to sunny, HOT  :P  Florida where we'd put 'em to good use.  Sounds like you all had a great time, too.  Congratulations to all.

Oldfudd
"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

Patriot Gal

What a beautiful venue!!  AND you get all the seasons over one weekend!   :o ;)  Except for the mountains, sounds a bit like Illinois!!!  :D ;D

Great Shoot!  Thanks for posting the pics.
Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Eugene

Great time! Thanks to all! First Appleseed.
I shot expert at Ft Ord in 1965, but the lamps aren't what they used to be. I gave up on the aperture sight and brought out the scoped carbine on Sunday and was encouraged that I could approach 4 min groups with it. Then as Chris mentioned, we got tired and my groups started to open up.
Congratulations to Susie, and thanks to her and Terry for hosting.

Eugene and Berneta

RangeRat

Looks like we missed out on a good one!  Congrats Susie.... Knew you'd get it in fine fashion. O0

For those who've never been to a Gardnerville shoot, Terry and Susie are great hosts and the scenery is second to none.

RR and family (Neo too)

gglovesguns

Yay Susie!!!!  ^:)^

I was feeling sorry I missed the shoot (too broke to go this time), but with that weather, maybe I should be glad I stayed home and that it wasn't me out in that hail! I'm glad you all persisted out there in that weather.  :bow: