News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Van Etten NY, May 28-29, 2011

Started by gunville, June 03, 2011, 02:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunville

We had two wonderful days for shooting, including the opportunity to KD at 100yds.

The range had to be relocated due to the weather the previous few weeks that prevented haying.  Alan (Imker) was able to come up with an Alternative thanks to Ron R.  We greatly appreciate the hospitality of both Alan and Ron, and thank them for their efforts.

The situation was complicated by a large set of storms that left power out for many of the attendees - it will likely be out for several days for some.

Big Matt was promoted to RH - congratulations to him, he will no doubt be a great contribution to the New York team, especially on L.I.  He ran an excellent line. We hope he enjoyed the country air of the Southern Tier.

KDan SB'ed, riding in from NYC on a Hog - we last saw him riding into the west. We think he'll figure out NYC is to the east sometime later this week.

We orange capped a young man (Eugene), from nearby Spencer, who has all the attributes of rifleman, including overcoming a substantial equipment problem to achieve a patch, learned RSO duties on Sunday, and shot KD with an Wasr.

We had several repeat shooters - great to see some folks from last year!  (The loss of power prevented Cat from adding an inch to all our waistlines) Given the storms and predictions of rain that never materialized I think we had a great showing.
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

BChaffee

It was a great time. I learned a lot, got to hear some great stories, learn a few things about our countries past, and I still have a sun burn.
I didn't quite get rifleman but theres always next time.

kDan

Quote from: gunville on June 03, 2011, 02:51:52 AM
KDan SB'ed, riding in from NYC on a Hog - we last saw him riding into the west. We think he'll figure out NYC is to the east sometime later this week.

I got home on Tuesday evening after quite an adventure in Pennsylvania.  Wow.  Suffice to say not all bikers are sane.  Who knew?

Congratulations, Big Matt on the Red Hat!  Continuing the tradition that NOT ONE Long Island Red Hat (there are now five) has received his Instructor promotion without working at least one event on the mainland.  What do you say, NY, should we require all future NY Instructors to do one on the Island before they get the hat?  Fair is fair.

Congratulations to Gene as well.  At thirteen, I believe he's NYS's youngest IIT.  I know our finger lakes' crew can put you to good work.  Bring your friends out!

Ron was quite the range host.  Thank you sir.  I always enjoy the time I spend in that part of the state and I believe you have been at every event I've spent at Imker's (our traditional Van Etten host) and now your own place.  Thanks for suggesting we go out into the cornfield to shoot 100m.  My apologies for doubting the idea at first.

Gunville needs to be credited with running the event like a true Shoot Boss.  Everything that was dumped on him was handled with dignity and competence.  I mostly stood around wetting the bandana on my head to stay cool.  Your Green Hat is just around the corner, brother.  That light at the end of the tunnel is sunshine, not a train.

Could not reply to this AAR without thanking Imker for making this all possible.  NY state's first range host is still our finest.  baby cows in the backyard...  omg... i can't wait to eat them.

It was good to see b9 again. 

And thanks to the shooters.  We do this for you and all your fellow Americans, but you are the ones that come out and push this whole thing along.   

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout