News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Myakka City, FL May 28-29, 2011

Started by oldfudd, May 29, 2011, 10:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfudd

Another successful Appleseed at Myakka City !  Weather was unusually nice for this time of year -- highs in the low 90's with clear skies and low humidity.  We were blessed with a nice breeze for both days, and for the most part shooters were able to stay in the shade under the large canopy provided by the Manatee Gun and Archery Club.  Life was good.

Although we only had 5 shooters on Saturday and 6 on Sunday, they were great.  Alert and wanting to learn.  We experienced a dramatic increase in Redcoat scores from Saturday morning through Sunday morning.  The heat and fatigue from 9 AQTs (2 on Saturday and 7 on Sunday) got to them by Sunday afternoon, and Redcoat scores dropped slightly Sunday afternoon.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the 100 yard KD exercise where they were able to see the positive results of applying their Inches, Minutes and Clicks knowledge to score excellent, adjusted hits on their targets.  Lots of smiles and backslapping. 

Out of 6 shooters, we had 3 Riflemen, with the other three scoring in the high 170s through 190.  I have no doubt that we'll see three additional Riflemen in the near future.  My heartiest congratulations to all !!!

A lot of this improvement was due to the efforts of Sly223 and Stonedog.  Thanks again, guys.

Pictures and additional comments to follow.

Dick

"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

airplanejoe

Ditto to Oldfudd's comments!! Although I was only able to attend on Sunday, I walked away with lots of valuable knowledge.
Today being Memorial Day, I would like to share a thought British writer George Orwell articulated many years ago:
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to visit violence on those who would harm us".

God bless our troops!!

Airplanejoe

StoneDog

This was a great AS.  Excellent instruction, great range, perfect weather and most importantly the attendees brought positive, teachable attitudes.  As an instructor (in training) it was very rewarding to see excellent improvement across the board.  Two of the three Riflemen were first timers (Darrin and Justin) with airplanejoe returning to score Expert a number of times.  As OldFudd mentioned, the three remaining shooters (all under 18) ended the weekend in the 170's to 190's.  They're knocking on the door!!

"...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..."

--Samuel Adams

StoneDog

"...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..."

--Samuel Adams

Sly223

Weather Perfect! :o
Attendance,Quality not quantity. :bow:
The Event, Text book  O0
Pace, ~~:)
I think I may have tried to imagine, a safety issue.There was NONE!
A single chamber flag omission by a youth, and Dad forgot to put the LTR on safe. After a loud WHO'S RIFLE IS THIS? He sheepishly corrected this memory lapse and that was absolutely it. The Father Scored Rifleman on the very next AQT.He got focused quick after that he never looked back. :~However, we kept him in the dark (Fl AS Tradition),Let him know he possessed all the skills but, did not know if the score would reflect! >:D
When I first met Darren,(the Father)He immediately informs me there is no way after his knee surgery, he would be able to participate, After much reassurance, that we are an accommodating, program an all AS's in Fl are run as adaptive.He became a rifle man before he left us.I assure you he and his sons made some memories this weekend they will never forget to be a part of something so special, as another father and remembering times spent with my own father. I too take something very special home.
Thank you to all!
P.S. Early Sat. I was prepping the target line When Ol'Fudd tells me"Your out of uniform",ItsanSKS said you should be wearing this REDHAT"
Words can't explain the emotions I posses, after a very busy year, and a lot of footwork,Don't worry the man wears out the boot,The boot does not wear out this man!

On This Memorial Day that I want to honor Cpt.Issac Davis my hero.This man had boundless energy,even with a wife and four children,he found time. No, he made time to make a range and musterfeild behind his shop, made all of his men cartridge boxes and forged them bayonetts, so that they were as well equipt as the regulars. He also made time as did his men to practice marksmanship,Twice a week. This man is the symbol chosen by A.S. I feel They have chosen well! :bow: O0
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Sly223

Someone,left some Tupperware behind.pm me and we will arrange to get it back to its right ful owner.The good news is I saved the food by eating it and saved the program13 dollars.For an instructor meal ;D
Does anyone know why Fred reimburses 13 dollars?"That's correct! because of the Thirteen colonies" ;D
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

oldfudd

Sly -- don't be too smug about finding the "left" food -- I understand that Fred "charges" you $10 for every pound you put on during an Appleseed . . . .  on the scales Bubba, Appleseed is going to make some money here.   **)
"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

oldfudd

I did want to recognize our new Riflemen by name:  Justin (black T-shirt), Darrin (olive drab T shirt) and Jose (striped shirt).  Actually, these men (all of them) scored multiple Riflemen AQTs.  Great shooting, guys.  My congrats again.   ^:)^

I'm also happy to announce that Stonedog was promoted to IIT3, and as you saw above, I was privileged to present Sly223 with his Red Hat (that he qualified for under the watchful eye of Itsansks at an earlier event).   ~~:)
~ Patrick Henry

Chipshot

The tupperware was ours.  I was too excited to remember it after getting the Rifleman patch, I don't know what the boys' excuse was!

airplanejoe

I felt a degree of guilt about my laconic earlier post, so I'm back. The event was great. My goal when I showed up was to validate my score from last month's Appleseed. Done. Again I brought my AR with an ACOG. New additions were a 1 1/2 inch wide sling and a muzzle brake for which I had traded a trigger module. The wider sling did make a noticeable difference in comfort. The muzzle brake is great for freehand, very little muzzle rise, but at a price: a lot louder than the OEM flash suppressor, it will literaly ratle your teeth. I'm planning on using an AK next time, probably louder. Sorry shooters!!
The staff was super, you can tell that everyone goes overboard to make the shooters succeed; thanks for your help.
For ItsanSKS, I talked with Oldfudd and Sly223 about an orange hat. I explained my situation to them. If you think you can use me in some capacity let me know. Right now I plan to attend (not firm yet) the Appleseed June 25. Like I said before, I'm hooked.

airplanejoe

oldfudd

Airplanejoe -- I'll tell you buddy, if you join this Florida group of instructors, you'll be among the best.  My first AS shoot down here was a couple of months ago, and I realized then just how good they were.  I've continued to learn from them everytime I get the chance to be down here and work with them.

I hope you take the Orange hat, as I'm positive you'll fit right in.  I know I'll look forward to working with you in the future.

Dick

ps -- let me know how well that AK works against an AQT in the hands of a fine Riflemen.   :~
~ Patrick Henry

Sly223

Chipshot, I will have these items with me at the next few events so just let me know O0 The boys should have you back pretty soon.
AirplaneJoe, I did talk with ItsanSKS about your situation,and your in,Bud with out a doubt,all that have known of you have offered there full endorsement as an orange hat,IIT0-Go to the handbook download the manual and turn in your IIT1 PC at the next event even if you plan to shoot the AK, and that will get you going. I did attempt to score rifleman, with my AK, that was before I was a rifleman, will try again soon later this year.
Stonedog, good meeting you sir and great working with you,hope to work with you, that once or twice a year like we discussed.
Ol'Fudd That great meal did put a pound on me but since it was at your house, you owe me ten bucks.You got me and Jenny Craig arguing again! Thanks for everything this entire weekend,on and off the firing line.Always a pleasure and an honor,although I don't know what order.
Folks we are going to have an AS BBQ at MAGR, Myakka, so get the word out to all,Friends and family.3 July 9am-a 5pm dinner and then whenever they kick us out!( ;DThey never kick us out) :~ :--- ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

TomM1Thumb

SLY223, Is it true that Florida has a new Red Hat, and No one as of Yet, has posted a new thread about it?

You know that is just Uncalled for.

Congratulations on You new head wear. Wear it with Pride You earned it!

Tom
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Sly223

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Ratchett

Well that just is not right--Where is itsansks?? ~~:) ~~:)

CONGRATULATIONS SLY!!!

Welcome to the new pay grade, brother!  ;) ..:.. ..:..

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

airplanejoe

Sly223,
I guess I'm forums/internet challenged. I can't find the manual you spoke about in one of your previous postings  :-[

Airplanejoe

Sly223

Airplanejoe,
PM ItsanSKS, have him notify someone to get you IIt0 access,so you can download the manual! O0
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!