News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Rifleman Patch

Started by Rockstrom, May 17, 2011, 02:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockstrom

My father and I were a little confused on the purple rifleman patch. I think you get it if you're a woman, he thinks you need to earn it on a specific date. Which is correct?

Two Wolves

The purple patch is not gender specific. I reciecved mine by qualifying as a rifleman on the anniversary date of April 19th, 1775.

The purple patch is a commemorative for a special lady instructor from Florida. Maybe some one will tell the story. ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Gus

Resurrecting this thread.

Here's what I found regarding the history and reason behind the Purple Patch. It's a good one.

Gus

The purple Rifleman patch was established to honor the former Appleseed instructor Mlle Yottnottin. It may be awarded at the discretion of the Shoot Boss. When awarding this patch, it is recommended the story of the patch be shared, as its important history for Project Appleseed.

SEPTEMBER 4TH 2009

Yesterday one of our best was called home. I learned late yesterday from Willorith that Madam Yotnottin had passed away. She came to an event at Myakka, Florida last year as an attendee along with her boss, Willorith. She liked it so much that she attended a second event, worked hard, got into shape and made Rifleman on the third try. She then set out on the IIT trail and was getting very good at passing on the heritage to her fellow Americans.

Although I only knew her briefly, I came to greatly respect her. She was always very positive and had a habit of wearing something purple - both traits that I personally found most endearing. She was as helpful as she was pleasant to be around. Unlike me, she needed no instruction on leaving her ego at the door as she had none to begin with.

I just served with her last Sunday and she worked closely with a female attendee that we had all tried to assist, but with little effect. Madam Yotnottin took her from a score not worth repeating to the upper 100s in 30 minutes.
As we all shook hands to leave the event last Sunday, I don't suppose that anyone of us didn't expect to be here the next weekend. Words cannot express the sadness I feel. Carpe Diem (seize the day) - you never know when it will be your last.

The light of Liberty has one less hand supporting it today.

Fred had a patch made in her honor. It is the Purple patch. Those that wear it need to know they are representing a wonderful woman with passion and persistence: a true riflewoman. She was the first Appleseed Instructor to pass.
God bless you Madam Yotnottin, may your days be filled with many rewarding hours walking the firing line and evenings chatting with the Founders around the campfire.
"Mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on" - Mark Twain

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper

Mrs. Smith

Thank you, Gus, for bringing this post back to life and sharing the story of the Purple Patch!

:1luvu
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

scuzzy

There was one purple patch in the shoot bosses' box when I finally shot expert. Of course I picked that one. Didn't know the story until about 2 or 3 years later.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

AF5US

Wow.  I had no idea.

Definitely something to share when referencing the purple patch.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleerâ„¢:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Black Knight

Gus, thank you so much for resurrecting this story.  It is a reminder of two very important things: 1) those involved in Appleseed care deeply about others in Appleseed and 2) each person can make a big difference in someone else's life. 
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021