News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - 2011 Desert Warrior Sustainment Excercise, AZ National Guard

Started by AZOpie, May 12, 2011, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOpie

Four of our thirteen instructors for the Arizona contingent of Project Appleseed had the honor and privilege to participate in the 2011 Desert Warrior Sustainment Exercise (AKA All Weapons Weekend or AWW) held at the Florence Military Reservation May 6-8, 2011. This event presented several opportunities for the Arizona cadre to build internal camaraderie as a State unit, to utilize shooting skills to 500 meters in an environment other than a formal High Power match, and to continue growing positive relationships with the National Guard in Arizona, following suit with other States.

The Arizona Appleseed team took "Top Team - High Other Services" for the Infantry Trophy Match and Unknown Distance Match. The Infantry Trophy Match consists of a team of 4 shooters firing on 6 targets simultaneously, on four stages - 400, 300, 200, and 100 meters with iron sighted M16A2 rifles. The Unknown Distance Match, also known as the Squad Designated Marksman Match consists of two shooters at a time firing from a single point on targets from 100 to 500 meters. All 4 shooters had 12 minutes total time to fire on 10 targets each, with 15 rounds allocated per shooter.

There were a number of other individual and team matches shot over the course of three days making this a mentally and physically challenging event. Temperatures reached the 100's and little shade was to be had (this is the desert out here), but everyone persevered. Saturday night was the awards ceremony. While opening the ceremony, the Command Sergeant Major took the crowd through some of the history of Lexington and Concord. Sunday morning we had some spontaneous conversation with members of the National Guard about Revolutionary War history while we were waiting our turn to shoot the fire team match.

I have personally shot in many military competitions, but I can honestly say that this one has left the biggest impression on me. We were in the presence of some serious talent on the range last weekend. These men and women put it on the line for us every day and for that I cannot thank them enough. God bless our troops!

AZO

P.S. It sounds like we might have another place to do some Appleseeds and Known Distance shoots very soon.  ^:)^ We're going to need some more voluteers.  :cool2:

Rocket Man

Outstanding.

Love to do a border raid / swap with you fellows one of these days.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Fred

You guys enjoy the well-earned trophies, but don't lose track of where they are - in about 10-12 years, the directors of the new Appleseed Museum on the Washington Mall will be contacting you so they can include them in "The Arizona Room" of the museum.

O0

Possibly to place near the statute of AZOpie... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

AZRedhawk44

Quote from: Fred on May 12, 2011, 09:29:59 AM

Now Fred, don't you go flattering him too much.  He'll get a big head.  Then how will we put busts of him in the 4 corners of the Arizona Room, if he's all disproportionate like that? ;D

This was a LOT of fun, a HUGE privilege and honor to shoot in, and an EXCELLENT test of marksmanship and Appleseed fundamentals.

Ideas are coming from this.  Still percolating in our re-fried little AZ heads out here, but we'll share when they manifest into more concrete shapes.

Rocket Man:  Come on out to Kingman on May 28/29!  Right on the NV/AZ/CA border, and we need a second Red Hat to help run a split line on Sunday... we have access to their KD range out there that's a 1000 yard facility (though we only run to 500).

AZOpie

Quote from: Fred on May 12, 2011, 09:29:59 AM

Oh no, not me! I would want people to come into the room, not run away!  **)

Rocket Man

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on May 12, 2011, 01:56:34 PMRocket Man:  Come on out to Kingman on May 28/29!  Right on the NV/AZ/CA border, and we need a second Red Hat to help run a split line on Sunday... we have access to their KD range out there that's a 1000 yard facility (though we only run to 500).

I'm going to be running Glen Helen that weekend...   :'(  but one of these days I'll make it over there.  Sounds like a nice facility.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

AZOpie

The photographers posted a video comprised of pictures taken during the course of the event.

It's right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmrxuCR_FWo

AZO