News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Winona, MN, May 7-8

Started by Cooper, May 09, 2011, 10:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooper

Placeholder for tonight's AAR post after I escape from work.
Feel free to start posting your comments and pictures!
Cooper

Heavens!  I don't really need to add anything to what Y'all have posted in the last 12 hours.
(Notice that "Y'all?"  I'm practicing for the Washburn, MO shoot next month...)

But add I will!!

What an AWESOME crew of shooters and of instructors!!
Mom4rmhell's DI voice only had to come out once the entire weekend, and that was because the shooters were conversing so excitedly about their last course of fire that they weren't listening to the explanation of their next course of fire!!

And y'all jumped right in chanting the 4 safety rules and safe rifle with gusto and synchrony for Blue Five!!  I knew immediately that we had a GREAT group of shooters to work with!  HUZZAH!!

Megan, Anna, dear Charlotte and Ethan! you are a great inspiration to us over-the-hill folk with your dedication and attentive attitudes.  Maybe America is not yet lost, if there are more youth such as you that will step to save our heritage.  Ethan, you were cheated of a Rifleman's score by your loosening scope; try again it I am confident that you will impress everyone at your next Appleseed.  Charlotte, you are too cute.  (Our designated marksman, she would run up with every target shouting "Cooper! Cooper! Look at this!")  When she insisted on shooting stage one of the AQT offhand, I knelt close by her for safety... when she landed a round in the "V" she could have walked on air...

Grant and AlexZ, you showed such great improvements!  DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE and DRY FIRE some more and you will succeed!  Terry, Bob and Tammy - so great to work with you, and come back for a full weekend soon...  Doug, your reenactment garb is the envy of the upper midwest, or at least our instructor corps; THANKS SO MUCH for lending such a touch of class to our event! Oh, and by the way, with a 50 point improvement between Sat and Sun you are well on your way to earning your patch...

Josh, you're getting there... dry fire and take advantage of your Rifleman Opportunity Card.

Alan, with a 208 you are guaranteed to make the breakthrough with some home practice and another 'seed-- that was my score the Appleseed shoot just before I blasted through my barriers-put the 6 steps of firing the shot together, find your Rifleman's bubble and it will happen.

Steve:  I salute you and your service to our Nation!  You will always be a welcome guest at ANY Appleseed event, and an honored guest at any event I am running.  Be safe in your future deployments as well as your current civil service.  HOOAH!

There is too much else to say, and it's past my bedtime... I'll add some photos below and then go sleep in the prone position.

Cooper

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Blue Five

What an excellent weekend!  The border raiders' mission objective: have fun and teach students.  Mission status: Objective accomplished!  ^:)^

The students were VERY attentive and right on with the safety rules during my safety briefing on Saturday morning.  This has been the first time I have heard all students chant the four safety rules in chorus after I have gone through them once.

Congratulations to our riflemen: Gerad and Jenny!  We hope to see you back in September, or over in La Crosse next month  O0 O0

This was a great group to work with, and it was great having plenty of instructors to have one on one time.

Pictures will be incoming soon.

Blue Five (Nathan)
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

Blue Five

Having some issues with photos...they'll be up soon.
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Blue Five

Sunday's firing line

Another one from Sunday.

Josh and Vee Kay, the two shooter border raiders from Wisconsin  >:D

Huzzah!

Flags in the wind..

Browningman and I deep in conversation and thought with he-who-was-not-there...  **)  :-X

Brad76 with Daniel Morgan's History

Attentive students!

The weekend's instructors minus Brad...he left before we took it.

The Wedding that Never Was, narrated by Cooper.

Prep 10!!

vmt193

Considering that the weatherman was predicting rain and storms for both days, I was extremely happy with what we got.  8)

Yes, an exceptional group of Appleseeders! Picked up on the instruction quickly and all came with great teachable attitudes. When our colonial militiaman Doug walked in the door Saturday morning, I knew we were in for a fun weekend.
I forgto my camera on Saturday but here are a few from Sunday.

Puma Mami - He could use a nice reproduction Pennsylvania rifle for Xmas!  ;)

Gerad receiving a well earned Rifleman patch from SB Cooper.

And a couple of my daughter Jenny who hadn't had a firearm in her hands for 20 years and started off with a 200 on her 1st AQT of the weekend. She kept turning in scores in the high 190s & low 200s until late Sunday afternoon when she pulled it together to overcome some jamming problems and fired a pair AQTs at IIRC 215 & 216.  ^:)^ ^:)^

Her husband Alan managed a 208 even while throwing his very first shot completely off paper, but I think he'll be back to do it right next time!  &)

vmt

Shooter30-06

Congratulations to both Mike and Jenny! 
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

vmt193

Quote from: Shooter30-06 on May 09, 2011, 12:30:27 PM
Congratulations to both Mike and Jenny!

Now I just need to get the other two daughters and their hubbies to the line.  :---

vmt

Blue Five

One more of Douglas...great outfit!!!  O0 O0

Puma Mami

Congratulations to our new riflemen: Gerad and Jenny!

Quote from: vmt193 on May 09, 2011, 12:19:24 PM
...When our colonial militiaman Doug walked in the door Saturday morning, I knew we were in for a fun weekend...Puma Mami - He could use a nice reproduction Pennsylvania rifle for Xmas!  ;)
Yes, Doug definitely needs more stuff for his colonial militiaman/rifleman impression, including an actual wool hat. But it's a start!

I've attached another photo of Doug in his outfit. Thanks to Janelle for letting him get a photo with your musket!

He had also gotten a picture of the instructors similar to the one you guys posted, but looks like he captured more people smiling.

Doug has registered on the forum as "Yodeler," so he will probably be posting his own comments, too.  O0  Sounds like he had fun. He said he got up to 198 for his score. He's on board for the August AS at Hinckley and hoping to get that rifleman patch! We will try to bring a bunch of friends, too.  ;)
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Blue Five

Quote from: Puma Mami on May 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM
He said he got up to 198 for his score.

He was doing everything right when I was watching him and working with him a bit  O0  Make sure he practices and dry fires!!  :)

Shooter30-06

Well Mike, you are ahead of me.  I cannot get my sportsman son on the line for love nor money.  He claims he is busy but I think the real reason is that he cannot come to grips with the fact that his MOTHER is a Rifleman and an IIT.  Maybe I should promise him that I'll bring him to Minnesota so that he can be instructed by the great VMT159!

Shooter30-06

I can shoot a little bit but cannot type - VMT193!

jaguar96

Aftermath you always look so serious!

Blue Five

Quote from: jaguar96 on May 09, 2011, 07:14:25 PM

He was only so serious because us cheeseheads were border raiding...  >:D **)

JFox20

A HUGE thank you to every single one of the instructors this past weekend.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself and yes, getting my rifleman patch was icing on the cake.  The fact that I hadn't even held a gun for about 20 years before this Appleseed and scoring a 215 and 216 on my Sunday afternoon AQT's makes me think it's genetic!  ;D  I was happy to share this weekend with my Dad not only because I know he holds Appleseed near and dear to his heart but also because he's a great Dad and spending time with him in this capacity doesn't happen very often with our busy schedules.

Thanks again to those of you who took the time to show me the path to being a rifleman and more importantly, to get that heritage "seed" planted in my mind.   O0

"Shoot like a girl.... IF you can!"

Puma Mami

He does always look so serious. What would help to cheer you up? -- other than (or perhaps along with) filling those lines this summer  ;)
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

jaguar96

Quote from: Puma Mami on May 09, 2011, 08:06:01 PM
He does always look so serious. What would help to cheer you up? -- other than (or perhaps along with) filling those lines this summer  ;)

That I am not sure.  or how about more instructors?

jaguar96

Quote from: Blue Five on May 09, 2011, 07:15:20 PM

He was only so serious because us cheeseheads were border raiding...  >:D **)
LOL you cheeseheads!!!! oh well at least you have a decent football team! LOL

Blue Five

Quote from: jaguar96 on May 09, 2011, 10:49:36 PM
LOL you cheeseheads!!!! oh well at least you have a decent football team! LOL

;)  >:D

professor gun

I like the militiaman outfit.  Where do you find stuff like that?

Maybe some of us instructors should show up for an Appleseed like that.
Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

Vee Kay

Thanks to all the instructors, this was another fine Appleseed shoot.  Congrats to the two new rifleman and to proud dad vmt193.   :)

Vonnie
Honoring the memory of my ancestor Elisha Simpson, private in the North Carolina Militia and veteran of the American Revolutionary War.

Cooper

Too many photos...
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

gmw

Another couple group photos of the intrepid team of instructors, from a different angle:

Puma Mami

Quote from: professor gun on May 09, 2011, 11:16:40 PM
I like the militiaman outfit.  Where do you find stuff like that?
I made this for my husband, but you can buy stuff like this relatively inexpensively at
http://www.crazycrow.com/rendezvous-clothing-and-accessories
or more expensively (and more accurate to the period) at
http://www.gggodwin.com/CartGenie/prod-600.htm

Here is a handy guide to rifleman garb from a reenactment group in Pennsylvania.
It's actually their requirements for their people to be authentic in their dress.
http://www.donegaltownshipriflemen.org/usa/riflemenclothing.htm

For people wanting to sew an outfit, the pattern for the top is "Missouri River Rifleman's Hunting Frock" (but you have to alter the pattern to get the rounded edges as shown on the pattern front) and for the pants, "Eagle's View Broadfall Front Breeches" (very difficult-to-follow instructions but makes up well). I got a cheap fake-leather pirate hat on Amazon with a wired brim and shaped it to the Colonial style and added trim. The shoes were cut-down cowboy boots with ribbon glued around the cut edge and a piece of leather and some buckles from the fabric store attached by elastic that went under the shoe. The shooting bag I made from part of a 1970s style embroidered fake suede coat and some wooden toggle buttons. Lots of work but it came out nicely!

gmw

Strangely enough, while I feel like I struggled against myself to earn the rifleman moniker, I also have the sense that I have a long way to go.  Still, a wise man once advised me, "celebrate your victories, no matter how small."  Just showing up for the Sunday shoot and walking away with a patch could be considered to be in poor taste, so I saved the victory dance for when I got home!

Thanks to the instructors for volunteering your time to help others learn and grow.  Not to mention putting up with inclement weather, and rockheads like me ;)

Oh, and thanks to kmk for running the hot dog lunch service--much better than the energy bar that I didn't have to consume O0