News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Puryear, TN 4/30-5/1

Started by hornet41, May 02, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornet41

Had a fine group of very attentive shooters. 4 were preregistered but 9 showed up!! The facilities were great with covered shooting bay's, which really helped when the rain came! The club house provided a great place for lunch and history ect.. Unfortunately one gentleman had to leave early Saturday and one shooter did not return for Sunday. However those left were dedicated to learning and made steady improvement over the course of events. I observed  NO muzzle sweeps but we did have two shots fired after the cease fire command. Shooter "owned" up to it and lesson learned!! Luke had an out of battery fire with a Remington 597 that blew the extractor out of the bolt hitting his shooting glasses!! Everyone learned a lesson about eye protection!! Undaunted, he borrowed a 10/22 and continued.
Jason and David made Rifleman on Sunday after chasing the low 200's all afternoon. Shoot4score cracked the whip on the line Sunday and kept the "grind" moving. Austin made great improvement Sunday after learning the joy's of the loop sling!! Everyone made progress and learned a lot. The weather turned against us Sunday but everyone kept at it. Overall a great 'Seed!!
Of course I have to mention all this was under the watchful eye dond who kept things moving while stressing salient points where improvement was required!

dond

After my extended initial instructions and practice sessions, very good groups appeared immediately. We were able to get in two AQTs Saturday with some high scores; 180s, 190s, and even a 205. Unfortunately, the shooter with such a high score failed to return on Sunday because of the impending weather or surely he would have achieved Rifleman status.

While Saturday was a beautiful day, Sunday turned out to be overcast and rainy. A dangerous thunderstorm even threatened to shut us down mid-afternoon, but suddenly shifted its direction. The shooters did their best to apply instructions and scores continued to improve. Finally two earned the Rifleman score. One of these had been to an Appleseed previously and was pleased to accept an Orange Hat.

Although we didn't get to shoot KD because of the weather, the shooters did enjoy the discussion on KD and readily grasped the concepts.

It was very gratifying that the shooters enjoyed the history so much. After the initial presentation, two stated that they wanted to hear more.

Hornet41 and Shoot 4 Score did fine jobs of instructing. And congratulations to Hornet41 for his promotion to IIT3.

Some pictures were taken and I hope they will be included here later.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken