News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RBC Eureka, KS May 22-29th

Started by 4bfox, April 30, 2011, 10:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4bfox

Rifleman's Boot Camp coming up soon!   ^:)^

May 22-29th at Christian Hills Camp, Eureka, KS...get pre-registered NOW! Range fee INCLUDES breakfast, dorm w/showers/bathrooms, swimming pool and meeting center!

Registration link: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19494.0
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

AdamSelene

The wife and I are pre-registered as of today.

We are looking forward to it, baby and cat sitting is laid on.  We will be there with bells on!
Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.           -Plato

4bfox

OK..talked with camp manager today...everything is a GO! Dorms and Lodge ready, swimming pool will be up and running.  O0

Breakfast and a bunk in the dorm INCLUDED in "range fee"! Breakfast will be kind of a "continental breakfast" (cold cereal, fruit, etc.) PLUS breakfast casserole/scrambled eggs/bacon/sausage/biscuits and gravy/breakfast burrito on rotation. Breakfast is provided Monday-Friday.

Make sure you bring sheets/pillow or sleeping bag...bunks have mattresses. Questions? PM 4bfox!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ksuguy

Is the cost prorated if we can't make it to all days?   I'll probably have to miss the last weekend.   

4bfox

I'm sure we can work something out...

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

4bfox

Don't wait around to pre-reg...this will fill up FAST!

I'd really hate for you to miss this because it sells out!  :wb:

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Grendel

I'm hoping to make it up there for the RBC, if I can get the time off work and get my wife to let me go shoot guns for a week.

Tell me about the KD shooting. What kind of rifle should I bring? I don't have any decent center fire rifles other than my AK-74, which I'm pretty sure would be unsuitable for this. I might be able to borrow an AR perhaps.

4bfox

Our KD will be 300-500 yards. I'm not familiar with the AK-74, don't know what it'll do at those ranges....an AR should be fine.

Maybe someone would care to opine on the AK-74? If you can go to an RBC...GO! It's a LOT OF FUN.

4b

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ksuguy

Ok just confirmed my sign up.  I'll pay you when I get out there Ben.   

The AK74 would probably be ok.  Probably similar to shooting an AR-15.     Also, if you are interested in buying some extra magazines for it, I've got some that I won in a raffle and no rifle to use them with.

I'm not sure which centerfires I'll bring out.  I'm thinking Garand, M1A, FAL, and maybe my K31 if I want to do some bolt gun shooting.   

4bfox

Grendel:

After cruising the 'net a bit tonight, sounds like the AK74 is a LOT more accurate than the AK47....can you set it up for QD sling swivels, so you can use a 1-1/4" web sling on it?

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Grendel

I've got a Bulgarian type sling on it now, it seems to work pretty well for the hasty sling method, but lack the hardware for the loop sling. I've got polymer stocks on it now, so I could probably mount some QD sling posts.

Tech sights makes an AK specific peep sight, not too expensive.

Still, it might just be easier to borrow an AR.

4bfox

LOVE TechSights! On my 10/22, SKS and soon to be on my PSL...

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Grendel

What Tech Sights are you putting on your PSL?

4bfox

WELL....this experiment will use the AK Tech Sights. The PSL uses a lot of AK parts, and I'm going to try to adapt the Tech Sights to fit it. I have an extra receiver cover that I can cut on, and will see how it goes. Sure hope it works, will dramatically improve the iron sights!

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

BrownBessEd

I'm looking foward to a great week.  Not sure if I should attend as a shooter or IIT.

4bfox

If you haven't been to a RBC, I'd attend as a student....and sign up to instruct on the 28-29th.

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

henschman

I sure wish I could make it.  I really enjoyed being a part of the RBC there last summer, but I just started a new job last week... I don't think taking a week off 3 weeks into a new job is such a good idea!

Glad to see you're thinking of going, Grendel.  I'd say get the AR if you can, but definitely bring the AK too.  If it is your only center fire rifle, it would be nice to know what you are capable of with it out to the limits of its effective range. 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

AdamSelene

Grendel, PM me, we will talk calibers and I can bring a centerfire for you.
Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.           -Plato

4bfox

QuoteI sure wish I could make it.  I really enjoyed being a part of the RBC there last summer, but I just started a new job last week... I don't think taking a week off 3 weeks into a new job is such a good idea!

Well, Hensch...would love to have you here, but have to agree with you...it WOULD be a BAD idea to take a week off on a new job!

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Grendel

I got that week off, and I got a guy to agree to sub for me for the show that we have that weekend. However, That's also the week of my 10th anniversary (and doesn't feel a day longer than 15 **)  So we are probably going to go do something if I can get my dad to watch the brat for the week. But I think there's a good chance we'll end up in Eureka for at least the weekend shoot.

I really, really, really want to attend the whole RBC. If it were a week later it would have been perfect.

Old Dog

I have a S&W M&P 15 in 5.45X39 and it is very accurate with the commie surplus ammo.

I have no experience with the AK74 but you should be able to get a good idea of how well you could do with it by shooting it at 25 meters.  What size are your groups?  My AR15 shoots dime sized groups at 25 meters and at 300 yds. the groups are about 4 to 5" wide by 6" tall.

You'll just need to be able to compensate for the changes in distance (not sure how well the rear sights actually move the point of impact at the distances you'll be firing, but you'll find that out when you get your zeroes at the different distances) and any wind.  The 5.45X39 is pretty fast and its a long thin bullet (no clue what the ballistic coefficient is but based on the shape it should be pretty good) that seems to "fly" well.

If it were me, I'd shoot it at 25 meters and if the group was an inch or less, I'd take it and shoot it.  Just remember the commie surplus ammo is corrosive (the Wolf, Tula, etc. is not, so I've read) and you'll need to clean your rifle based on methods/timing for corrosive ammo.

Good luck with it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

4bfox

That's kinda what I thought about the AK74....haven't shot one, but theoretically it should do 4 MOA....depending on the sights, etc. Thanks for the input!

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ksuguy

Quote from: 4bfox on May 11, 2011, 09:04:15 AM
That's kinda what I thought about the AK74....haven't shot one, but theoretically it should do 4 MOA....depending on the sights, etc. Thanks for the input!

The sights are usually crappy open sights that don't adjust very well, so it might be a bit harder to shoot 4 MOA with one.  I'm sure it can be done though.     I do have a spare POSP AK scope I could lend if the rifle has a side rail.   

Greg in MO

Hensch,

You can come to the Osage Beach RBC in October instead.  That should give you enough time at the new gig to take a week.  We'd be glad to have ya...

G

The ][rishman

We will miss having you out there Hensch.  It looks like it is shaping up to be a great week!  Glad to see so many people are going to make it.

][
III
"Thou shalt never be a perpetrator.
Thou shalt never be a victim.
And thou shalt never, but never, be a bystander." Yehuda Bauer

An Phoblacht abú
KD0OHT

4bfox

Duh! Forgot to mention....the Camp also has Verizon Wireless internet available in the Lodge, so you can keep in touch with home...

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ksuguy

Awesome, I'll be able to get online with my laptop. Beats having to use my phone for everything.   

4bfox

OK....Boot Camp starts in one week (Sunday May 22nd)!

Limited number of spots available...get pre-registered NOW! http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19494.0

If you can't do the Boot Camp, Appleseed Shoot is on the 28-29th: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19495.0

Questions? PM me! SOON!

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ksuguy

I just hope that shooting jacket I ordered from Creedmor gets here before then.   If it shows up while I'm out in Eureka, I might have to make a trip back home to go get it.   

AdamSelene

I aint going to lie, I am so excited about this that I could barely sleep last night...and it doesnt start for three days!