News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: NRA Convention 2011

Started by techres, April 28, 2011, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

This past weekend has got to go down as one of the most productive uses of our 7th step energies imaginable.  So many contacts to work, so little time. 

To those of you thinking that this was just a 'big gun show', you are VERY much mistaken.  Having worked dozens of gun shows, the marked difference is stark.  The people walking around the convention were upbeat, happy to be there, and more importantly, interested in learning about new products and services.  Thousands of tri-folds were handed out to interested parties. 

I won't spoil the surprise, but there are likely to be several new ranges, new industry partnerships, and additions to our volunteer support network.  Dozens of companies were directly targeted for 7th stepping, and by and large, our message was well received.  Keep your eyes peeled for some exciting announcements to be made, as soon as all the details are hammered out. 

Unfortunately, the batteries I brought for my camera failed, meaning we must rely on better prepared photographers than myself. 

A huge "Thank You" goes out to all who helped make this event a resounding success!

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

GoldFish

Here are a few more pics from yesterday.
Getting ready to go home now; more detailed report and more pictures coming soon...

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

PHenry

Man I wish I could have made this. Just got off phone with my local SC, ItsanSKS and he says it were grand! Way to go ya'll!  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

SPQR

I wont one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and six of that, and two of those, and two more of that, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those, and one of those.  It looks so fun they should do it every year!
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

hawkhavn

The success of this event was beyond my expectations, and they were high.

First - Thank you to the folks who worked ahead of time to make this successful, that's especially Fred, Riflewoman and 22calgal, who all pitched in to get material on target and ON TIME.  Thank you for the assist.

Second - To the team that came together and made this event the resounding success that it was. This was a Regional team who scored a National win.
Chainsaw and EZ3 who were the PA state BOTG's.  Their knowledge of the state and shooting locations are going to put more ranges on the schedule and more folks on the line, of that I am certain.
Patent Guy and BeSwift made their way up from MD and were rewarded with lots of contacts from MD and Delaware. Be Swift soldiered on in true AS fashion despite fighting a nasty round of the flu.
Ratchett and Goldfish came in from Ohio and saw a huge influx of Buckeyes, shook their hands and got them hooked up with OH Appleseed!  Also, Ratchett secured housing for a large chunk of the team at her brother's home, huge thanks to both.  She also was the convoy driver who got us through Pittsburgh traffic in a 'timely' fashion.
Itsansks made the trip up from Florida and was invaluable working with the industry folks.
Patriot Gal and Castle Mountain journeyed in from Illinois and though they were working at another commercial booth, introduced many folks to AS and sent them our way.
Techres who had to put up with my driving both ways and snoring on more than one night, but helped organize and got out and pounded the floor making contacts.

Third - We worked hard as a team and individually to put Appleseed in the best light in front of our nation.  We all received many positive  comments from visitors and NO negatives.  Many had been to a shoot or knew folks that had, more than one IIT and Instructor stopped by and I got to meet someone who had only been a nickname an the forum before.  The furthest travelled attendee I talked with flew in early from Honolulu on his way to a business meeting. 

Let me assure all of those reading that Project Appleseed is now a known force in this nation, we're still small, but the word IS getting out. Law enforcement and the military we talked with were especially thankful for and interested in AS.  We talked with unit COs and sheriff's and folks new to the service, they are extremely interested.

We all have homework to get done, contacts to make and ranges to visit from information gleaned from last weekend. An extended after action is being performed to make sure we do not leave anything out and to prepare (hopefully) for NRA 2012.

As always in Appleseed this was a team I was proud to be a part of and spend way too little time with.  Please give your families my thanks for sharing your time with us.

Ed

p.s.  My personal thanks to everyone who worked Sunday, tore down the booth and carried on after I was called away. 
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Chainsaw

If all of the contacts I made come through, Pennsylvania will have 700 shoots next year... 

I won't be married anymore of course, but we will have 700 shoots...

:)

This was so cool on so many levels and we all agreed that this was nuthin like a gun show.

Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

GoldFish

Here are some more pics.
Can you guess which is my favorite type of rifle? ::)

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

GoldFish

Oh, and while I don't have a picture of it him, NRA President Mr. Wayne LaPierre did walk away with an Appleseed Challenge Coin in his pocket.

Blue Five

Quote from: GoldFish on May 03, 2011, 02:56:30 PM
Oh, and while I don't have a picture of it him, NRA President Mr. Wayne LaPierre did walk away with an Appleseed Challenge Coin in his pocket.

O0 O0 O0 O0
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

sashok.privetov

Quote from: GoldFish on May 03, 2011, 02:56:30 PM

Nice.
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

4merUSMC1803

Well done! Huzzah! Bravo Zulu!  and OoooRah!  You folks are 'Da Bomb'!  Great report(s) and great results!  Congratulations on an exemplary effort.
D Lawley

Sadman

It was a pleasure to meet you guys at the NRA show.  The booth looked great and it was glad to see more of the Appleseed "family."

I took the opportunity to wear the Appleseed tshirt at the show and I must of had at least 8-10 people who stopped me because they had participated in an Appleseed event of some kind.  I took every chance to route people to the booth!  I was proud to be associated with the program (even in a very small way).

Cheers,

Sadman

WindRider

Glenn Reynolds / Instapundit has his NRA report up on PJTV, including a segment at the Appleseed booth.

http://www.pjtv.com/?cmd=mpg&mpid=174&load=5396