News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Shooting gloves?

Started by mcnee229, March 04, 2011, 04:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcnee229

So, its finally warmed up enough this cold-blooded cook can go outside without turning blue, which means its time to get outside and try out the new shooting mat! I set up out back, out of sight of neighbors and busybodies, and did some standing to prone transitions and NPOA practice in prone with the Garand and leather Turner sling. Its been 2 hours since I stopped to go to work, and I still have a faint outline of the sling on the back of my hand! The 10/22 didn't do that to me, but I had a cotton USGI sling on it. So, I like how solid everything feels in position, I think I could be knocked unconscious and remain in position and on target. I don't know that I would be able to do a full day's worth of Appleseed without my support hand falling off, though.

To avoid the impression of the sling holes becoming permanent, I think I need a glove. Any suggestions?

Scott
Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

2 clicks low

I used a leather 1907 sling for 30+ years of hunting until AS convinced me to go the extra inch and get a web sling. I always use unlined deer skin gloves when hunting. I use them at AS if the weather calls for them. They are light enough that they should prevent "sling hole marks" in any weather.

It's not about the equipment. Any glove that works for you works best.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

wcmartin1

http://creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16144&cat=570&page=1

Use one of these for High Power with a 1907-style sling.  Works for an Appleseed as well.  Not necessary, but more comfortable.  YMMV
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

ItsanSKS

I would suggest buying a $20 pair of mechanics gloves from Advance Auto, AutoZone, or the like.  Snap-On makes a wonderful pair of gloves, that features a rubberized palm and finger matrix, which assists in ensuring the rifle stays put in your open, relaxed palm.   

These types of gloves aren't very thick, so they allow full hand dexterity, which would enable you to prepare magazines, for instance.  The "Shooting Glove" for NRA High Power severely restricts mobility.  Your support hand is good for nothing with that glove on, and that's the point- when shooting your support hand should be doing nothing but cradling the rifle. 

Which glove you choose is a matter of personal preference.  I, for one, prefer to wear a glove that allows my hand to be used for other things, too.
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

eaglescouter

I agree with ItsanSKS, a thin leather glove will do the job without loss of dexterity.  I use mechanix brand from home depot, she uses kidskin from the gardening section (I would use those too but they were too small for me).
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

wcmartin1

The glove (actually it's more like a mitt) slips off easily after finishing your string and making the rifle "safe" when you're not shooting, y'all.  I've used other gloves, but this one offers much more support and just feels right.  Not arguing, just stating personal experience and preference.  Once again, it's not necessary, but is more comfortable.  

It's not an equipment race, but if you're looking for a glove that supports and cushions your hand, this one works well.  Bottom line.

http://creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16144&cat=570&page=1
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

mcnee229

I need to go to Lowes soon anyway, so I'll grab a pair of mechanix and leather work gloves (need a pair for the new garden, anyway). If those don't do it, I'll grab an open finger glove from the CMP. I just wasn't sure if folks were using a single layer to just keep the meat out of the holes in the sling, or if folks were using padding too. Looks like its a whatever floats your boat kinda deal.

Thanks for the replies!

Scott
Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

wcmartin1

Quote from: mcnee229 on March 04, 2011, 10:28:14 PM
Looks like its a whatever floats your boat kinda deal.

Absolutely.

GoldFish

Personally (and yes, this is a personal choice), I prefer USAF Nomex flight gloves for shooting.  They provide a dexterous fit, allowing me to prep mags, manipulate the bolt, safety, and other firearm 'controls' without comprimising comfort and protection.  You can purchase them on eBay and cheaperthandirt.com (I've ordered from both places).
From all that I've heard, Mechanix style gloves work really well for shooting too, at least for what you want them to help you with (making the sling 'fit' more comfortably).

My .02, but it is really a personal thing.

---GF
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Piker

I sometimes use a yellow leather garden glove. Inexpensive, does the job.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

fprintf

I was at Home Depot yesterday and thought the welder's gloves would do the trick. When we are "only" shooting 4 MOA we really don't need the thickness to isolate the pulse like the high power shooters do. Still, it can't hurt if you are really seeking accuracy and the protection of the hand.

edit: nevermind, I forgot where I was. Florida?  You guys need airconditioned gloves most of the time. Welder's gloves would be horrible!
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

mcnee229

I found some gloves that had to have been designed specifically for shooting with a sling at Lowes. They are called DuraWorx, the back of the hand is made from a double layer of mesh, one is fine mesh on the hand, the outer layer is a coarser mesh. There is a leather covered pad on the back of the hand, that covers almost the exact area that the sling sits on. The palms are leather as well, and the wrist is secured with velcro. I haven't shot with them yet, but dry fire practice shows that it seems to protect the hand well enough, and I can still stuff clips with them on, though it is more of a challenge than without. Filling a box mag should be no problem with the, so long as you aren't talking about .22lr, those might be too small to manipulate.

Scott

Sly223

This far south, there is no need for shooting gloves, for the next seven months, at least not needed for AS. Gloves may be ok but the sling may need an adjustment. 4 what its worth!

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Old Dog

the folks recommending mechanix gloves are spot on.

We're not shooting matches.  We won't have a shooter's glove on if we grab the rifle and head out the back door to shoot a deer or a wild dog attacking the farm animals.  A work type glove is the most likely glove you'll have on or access to if you need it quick.

I bought a couple pair for shooting when the weather is colder.  They worked for me.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

mcnee229

I got to use the glove at the last St Augustine 'seed, and I am pleased. Getting strung up with the sling puts enough pressure on the back of my hand that I get a mark that becomes painful after a full days shooting. This glove prevented that, and being constructed of mesh it wasn't so hot that I felt the need to take it off after every COF, indeed only at lunch and the end of the day.

I've got a couple of .22lr "tattoos" to show I have a tolerance for pain, but why tolerate it when you can eliminate it?  ;)

Now if I can just work on my nerves and remember to make sure the rounds in the clip are inserted all the way, I can get the piece of equipment I really want: that patch. Almost had it, but not quite. Next time.

Scott

Wade

I just use what ever leather work glove I have handy heck I have even used a clean grease rag wrapped around the front of the sling and the hardware ,,In long distance I like to get my hand at the very front up against the sling swivel.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Sly223

Wade start another post quick >:D
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Wade

The point of  what ever glove is handy, The other day a new to my nabor hood guy told me there where some Coyotes circling one of my nabors calves  no time for digging for specail gear grab the Rifle ammo and another Rifleman and hand him a Rifle and ammo go out the door  ( Rifles chosen for this task m1a and sks  possable Miltie targets bolth have slings on them at all times and bandoleers of ammo handy),,,,so I ask if  you ever need to go after varmints are going to waste time looks for specail gear and putting it on  , if you train with specail gloves and gear are really training  for practical use .

Wade
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

mcnee229

Good for you. If I have to answer the door at four am with a rifle, I won't even be wearing pants let alone a glove. If I have warning that hostiles are coming down the way, I'll have pants, glove, bando or mag pouch, flashlite whatever. I ask, did it take you 12 hours to get the coyotes, or 12 minutes? Appleseed is not coyotes. Coyotes is not Appleseed.

Scott

Wade

Can't shoot what we don't see,,wait can't shoot what we can't ID (eye strain npoa you can shoot what you can't see if your allready on target) ,,,I seem to remember we teach "Practical Rifle marksmanship" so the shooting of a varmit(in this case coyotes) to my mind would be "Practical Rifle Marksmanship"

Appleseed teaches Practical Rifle marksmanship And More Importantly American History.

Wade
WOOF!

JustJeff

Quote from: mcnee229 on April 30, 2011, 02:05:40 PM
Good for you. If I have to answer the door at four am with a rifle, I won't even be wearing pants let alone a glove. If I have warning that hostiles are coming down the way, I'll have pants, glove, bando or mag pouch, flashlite whatever. I ask, did it take you 12 hours to get the coyotes, or 12 minutes? Appleseed is not coyotes. Coyotes is not Appleseed.

Scott

The point was "you play the way you practice" or "you fight the way you train."  The gear you practice with should be the gear you're going to use when 'hits really count.' 
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

JustJeff

Quote from: Wade on April 30, 2011, 01:37:31 PM
The point of  what ever glove is handy, The other day a new to my nabor hood guy told me there where some Coyotes circling one of my nabors calves  no time for digging for specail gear grab the Rifle ammo and another Rifleman and hand him a Rifle and ammo go out the door  ( Rifles chosen for this task m1a and sks  possable Miltie targets bolth have slings on them at all times and bandoleers of ammo handy),,,,so I ask if  you ever need to go after varmints are going to waste time looks for specail gear and putting it on  , if you train with specail gloves and gear are really training  for practical use .

Wade

I guess you could forgive the new neighbor, for not taking care of it himself, because he's new there; and hey, he gave you an opportunity to shoot some coyotes.  Not many here want to share like that.

Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Sly223

New Neigbors are not always bad we had a new kid move into the neiborhood 25 years ago, He is finally up to neiborhood standards. O0
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Wade

Sling use  ,,Tight but not so tight that it hurts alot  put the metal in a place on the sling wear it does not rub your hand or arm,shooting does not need to be painfull, Instructors please watch for this on the firring line  signs of this will be things like the arm turning red for lack of blood (sling to tight) metal rubbing into hand or arm and leaving a mark, sling leaving a deep mark ,,Some one that is trying so hard that they will put up with that kind of pain is one that Is Really trying Really Wants it and most likely will be one of your best students.

Wade
WOOF!

Sly223

Another great point, proper sling use and tension.
I was at an event where this big strong guy brought this tiny .22 won't mention name or type not the point. The point He could not get on papper after observing his sling was tight and flexing the synthetic stock away from the barrel!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Sly223

O.k. back to the gloves after running the bolt of my MN through the fat& muscle on the thumb portion of the palm of my hand. I am a little more open to the idea, such as very light weight red head micro mesh or the $10 Remington's.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!