News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NRA American Rifleman article "Markmanship Matters"

Started by BrownBessEd, April 20, 2011, 07:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrownBessEd

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/marksmanship-matters/

Marksmanship Matters
The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have turned into "rifle fights," tactical situations for which many of America's troops have been ill-prepared.
By Barrett Tillman

What a timely article for building Appleseed in 2011.

--Quote from article: "The American military usually does an adequate job of teaching marksmanship to large numbers of people. It does less well in teaching large numbers to fight with rifles. Consider no less an authority than Maj. Gen. Merritt Edson, USMC, a Distinguished Rifleman who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on Guadalcanal. He later became executive director of NRA, and during the Korean War he said that the military could not be expected to teach lifesaving marksmanship skills to every soldier or Marine. His advice: If parents wanted their son to have the best chance to survive combat, see that he learns to shoot a rifle as a boy."
--Article quote "The problem is systemic, as noted by Maj. Thomas Ehrhart's 2009 study, "Taking Back the Infantry's Half Kilometer." Ehrhart wrote that the U.S. Army dropped long-range riflery as a primary skill in 1958, deep into the Cold War. Engagement out to 600 meters was replaced by "trainfire," which emphasized 50 to 300 meters. Ehrhart argued, "While the infantryman is ideally suited for combat in Afghanistan, his current weapons, doctrine, and marksmanship training do not provide a precise, lethal fire capability to 500 meters and are therefore inappropriate.""
--on line comment on article: Ernest 4/19/2011 5:01:03 PM
"That is what Project Appleseeed has been doing for the last five years or so - teach some basic marksmanship skills and the historical importance of April 19th 1775. Civilians and Military shooters alike participate and learn."

Garand69

It was a great Article, Glad to see them get a little closer to their roots once in awhile!

Here is a link to a pdf of one of the references. A Rifleman's War by Jeffrey Wall
It is a great read as well.

http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/journal/docs-temp/532-wall.pdf
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

BrownBessEd

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA512331&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Link to the article "Increasing Small Arms Lethality in Afghanistan: Taking Back the Infantry Half-Kilometer", 76 pages.

Gumballhead

Very good reads.  I hope more of the "decision makers" read, and do something about it.

I see a couple of AS'ers have been commenting there already.  Such a shame, and all the more reason to AS, and wake up this country!

Thanks for posting this.

Garand69

Well GBH, you right, the problem with changing Military Training is very much like changing the "Climate" They are both very large ships, and they don't turn on a dime. They take what is learned (sometimes) from the last war and make it gospel for the next.

Hopefully good writing like the above, will open some eyes. And of course, if you have  loved ones are entering the military, get them familiar with the Rifle..... Of course Appleseed is the answer for that!! :cool2:
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz