News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Got the "Persistance Bug" Have some questions for Las Vegas Area

Started by GetRealLV, April 21, 2011, 12:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetRealLV

Hi All,

So one Appleseed event attended and we bought two more Ruger 10/22's. One is literally like new with a scope and the other appears to be an older carbine model with a metal trigger group and a strange looking aluminum muzzle break with a sight on it. This one needs a once over I believe.

Questions: 

Are there any recommendations for a local 10/22 wizard/smith for stuff that I do not feel comfortable doing?
Any local places that have a good variety of midrange and higher end 22LR ammo for testing?

I have spent hours researching and reading sticky's etc on other forums, etc. I would like to work in stages on some of the accurizing techniques.
I will take them both out to test this weekend and get a solid benchmark of where each of them stand.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Barry

#)

Xeyed

The 10/22 is easy to work on. :~

There are a lot of You Tube videos to walk you through most things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eobAjygRpIo&playnext=1&list=PL119420D7C2DA8DA4

Hardest Part is gutting the bolt back in. Here is an easy way to do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwU_U49iI3A&feature=autoplay&list=PL119420D7C2DA8DA4&index=11&playnext=2

As far as Ammo. Check Walmart for Federal Lightening. Check Dicks for CCI Blazer. Start with those. You can spend more but these are a good start.

PM me with any questions.

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Xeyed

Customizing a 10/22 can turn into a rabbit hole.

My recommendation would be to focusing first on improving the function/reliability of the rifle.

Add the GI sling.

Add Mag release. Power Custom Extended Magazine Release Ruger 10/22 Polymer Black      Much easier than factory release. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=428233

Add Bolt Release.  http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=688102

Add Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor Ruger 10/22,  Fixes most ejection/extraction problems. Improves reliability. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=363360

None of these are expensive, but they will make a big difference in the operation of the rifle.

Now shoot a thousand rounds at one inch squares by the numbers learning to trust your NPOA. You will learn a lot about yourself and your rifle during this stage.

Appleseed is more about skills than hardware. Many Rifleman patches have been earned by folks shooting stock "unaccurized" 10/22's.

Spartan24

For a start, the factory bolt release can be modified at home with some files and five minutes. That is what I have done to my 10/22 and am very happy. However, it only starts there.

That being said, everything that can be done to a 10/22 to help you at Appleseed can be done at home. They are super easy to work on and by doing it yourself, you avoid old crusty gunsmiths and their out of date and out of this world pricing. ($45 to remove and then replace a pin?! *&%$#@!!!)

On other forums, people really bash the factory barrels. Personally, I think those that bash the accuracy of Ruger factory barrels are the ones that need Appleseed the most. It's the man not the equipment. 10/22s ARE lacking in one area though. (Not everything is perfect) Their factory sights leave a little to be desired. May I suggest a fine pair of Tech Sights? Tech Sights are great sights that will help in aiming the rifle more accurately. They can be found at: http://www.tech-sights.com . If you order them, I would suggest the taller front sight post and don't forget the adjustment tool!

Having the stocks drilled for a sling is a must as you now know. Uncle Mikes Swivel set part #1311 will be perfect for the 10/22. Do NOT get the set marked for the 10/22 because it comes with 1" swivels and you will need 1 1/4" for the USGI sling. Uncle Mikes #1311 comes with the appropriate studs and 1 1/4" swivels. For adding the studs to the wood stock, contact Spurlocks gun shop in Henderson. Someone mentioned he will install studs on Appleseed 10/22s for free. I have never asked and I have always paid, but it was very reasonable at $10 per gun.

Last but not least, add an extended mag release. It really helps on the mag changes during stages. I personally prefer the factory Ruger one. It's super cheap (compared to others), an OEM factory part, and it just plain works. In my other rifle I added a fancy and expensive titanium mag release. The polymer one from Ruger does the same dang thing at about an 1/8th the price. 

Need any help, let us know!  O0
"Just name a hero and I'll prove he's a bum." - Gregory "Pappy" Boyington

Xeyed

Good discussion on Rimfire Central about ammo. great place to learn about 10/22's

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391274

Nemohunter is also a gunsmith who does some interesting things accurizing 10/22's too.

DesertDog

Welcome to the fold!

Good suggestions.  When you drill for the sling swivel studs, I've found that it's best to go an 1/8 or so smaller on the drill bit and have to turn it in tight.  I think I used 5/32, but don't quote me on that.  The grind an Appleseed shoot puts on that front stud will loosen it if it's not tight.

Federal Red Box bulk runs good in my 3 10-22's.  I suggest buying several 50 rd boxes of different brands and models to see which works best.

Will we see you in May at Clark County Shooting Park?  Other wise known as Ceasars Palace Shooting park ;D

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

GetRealLV

We will be at the May shoot. Shot a bunch of rounds through both the new units yesterday at BRPC and did great. The eyes are not there so a new Mueller scope is on the way, and Marge's came with a very nice scope. Practice, npoa and rounds down range is what is planned in the meantime!

Thanks to all!

Barry

Mrs. Get Real LV

Saw Jack and Jack in Bass Pro yesterday, they are planning on November, Jack Sr and his neighbor plan to have a competition to see who can bring the most people... if we do not have our patches, we of course will sign up with Jack!
Family isn't about who has your blood, it's about who has your back!

TrebleShooter

Hmmmm...... this could get interesting.   ;D The more, the merrier!