News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Restarting North Carolina!

Started by Fred, April 20, 2011, 04:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

We have a good pool of instructors in this state.

All we need do is get our NC crew back in the game (some were never out, of course) to rev up the Appleseed engine in NC.

I'm gonna suggest an Advanced Instructor Boot Camp at the Home Range, one weekend in May or June.

We'll have lots of daylight, so we should have time to also (something not usually done at IBCs) do some long range shooting/qualification.

Now, time to figure who'd be on-board for this.

Shall we start with next month? I can do 7/8 or 14/15 - the next two weekends in May are RBC.

Or if it's June, I can do any weekend but the last weekend of the month.

These "tell us when you can be there" things can quickly turn into goat-ropes, so let's see if we can settle on a date quickly.

Who can make it if we pick the weekend of May 7/8?

You can find out more about Fred's AIBCs by searching out AIBC AAR using the search function. This link might work for you: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=search2

Generally, reviews of particpants have been favorable. There is no charge for the AIBC. Any instructor at any level is encouraged to attend.

So, post here if you can't come - and if you can't then post EVERY weekend mentioned above as possibilities for May and June you could come, in hopes we can find a "good" weekend for all.

BTW, the new cabins at the range should be ready for use, so you can stay indoors for free! (Bring an air mattress!)

Let's get NC back up and running, big time!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Lawrence

Many of our Instructors will be at the CMP Matches in Butner, NC on May 7th.

All other dates are acceptable to me.

Lawrence

ThaiFighter

I will also most likely be at Butner.  Will make it a point to free my schedule as best I can for any other dates.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

Old Dog

Will you be allowing folks from surrounding states to attend as well?  I would hope many would be interested as Ramseur ain't that far from GA, TN, VA, and KY.  Or at least not far from parts of them.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

The Kid

Some of us, including myself, will be gone the following weekend of May for EIC competition at Butner.
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

Fred

Quote from: Old Dog on April 22, 2011, 02:33:21 PM
Will you be allowing folks from surrounding states to attend as well?  I would hope many would be interested as Ramseur ain't that far from GA, TN, VA, and KY.  Or at least not far from parts of them.

Absolutely; I hope everyone on this thread will help "get the word out" - these events are far more than "Fred's yakking" - see the comments made on the AARs on these to date...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

CplTurner

I would very much like to attend, but will be at Butner on the 7th/8th and the 14th/15th.
USMC '91-'95
MOS 3521
4th Award Expert
Competitive Marksmanship Unit
Far East Division Matches

CplTurner

I forgot to mention, the state service rifle championship is June 26th/27th @ Butner. 
USMC '91-'95
MOS 3521
4th Award Expert

Fred

To everyone on this thread:

We are always in this program facing a choice, and a temptation.

The question, and the choice, is "What is more important to us - Appleseed - or continuing on a path to increasing our personal shooting skills?"

The temptation is the latter.

However, Appleseed is not about improving personal skills beyond the Rifleman standard; it's about saving a country.

The choice is there.

Which is more important, saving our corner of the nation - or participating in shooting competitions?

Which takes first place in our list of priorities, and which takes second?

As volunteers in this program, it's up to each of us to make that decision.

Let's shoot for the June 12/13, just to see how many can make it that weekend.

CplTurner

Fred, is that not an Appleseed weekend?
USMC '91-'95
MOS 3521
4th Award Expert

Fred

No sir, it is not.

An Appleseed weekend is where you are teaching history and heritage to your fellow Americans.

Whether you personally can shoot 1 MOA or three makes little difference to the sinking ship - grabbing a bucket and bailing is what (we hope!) will save the ship.

Which is why the AIBC. Many in this program have heard myself or other "oldies" in the program say "Once you shoot 4 MOA, once you meet the rifleman standard, it's time to get up off the mat and outta the deck chair, and start teaching others how to shoot to that standard - and in the process, teach them about a history and heritage that, once they know about it, once they hear it, some of them will likely not like to see it disappear."

Or "Appleseed is not about shooting better; Appleseed is about teaching others what they don't know about their country's origin which they should know."

A century from now, no one will care how well you shoot. But they may care a lot that you and other caring Americans banded together - and saved a country - at least, for another couple of generations.

At an AIBC you learn all about that, along with a zillion other things.... :)

BTW, thanks for asking! O0

CplTurner

Hi Fred, I was asking if you meant to schedule the AIBC the same weekend that we have an AS scheduled.... The weekend of June 12
USMC '91-'95
MOS 3521
4th Award Expert

Fred

Either we move that date or we push off "getting NC reenergized" into July or August.

Between shooting matches and AS events there doesn't seem to be many weekends open.

Of course, we could put off saving the county until next year - right? :'(

"My county - right or wrong! - but definitely, LAST in line!"

No insult intended to anyone on this thread - only so many things "come first" before revving AS back up in NC, maybe we should just wait until next year...

Sadman

I have a family obligation those days (June 12/13 Sunday and Monday respectively) so I can't make the 12/13 (or any part of that week).  I'm interested and will keep watching the thread in case it drifts.  The following weekend is also full from a family commitment perspective.

Cheers!

7.62BBQ

I just checked the Instructor schedule and there is an AIBC scheduled for July 16-17 in Ramseur. I can make this date.

Lawrence

AIBC Schedule Revision:

Sorry, it looks like Fred has a conflict for July 16-17 so that date is cancelled.

We will be looking for another opening in his schedule.