News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

IL Nation Maker Patch

Started by BrownBessEd, April 18, 2011, 11:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrownBessEd

What if you went to an Appleseed, heard a guy tell you a brief history of muskets in the Revolution, and you shot a BrownBess at a target?  Just one small part of being a nation maker.  Could you earn a patch for that?  What if the patch had muskets on it, and a colonial battle flag (ripped, shots fired through it...)?

Any interest?

Gopher Boy

Hmmm...  Interesting...

I like the concept of "Nation Maker"  and "Illinois Appleseed"

Shoot a brown bess and possible catch them self  on fire...  Wait a minute that is only me.

Not sure the shooting a target with a brown bess is the best idea, but something special like that for sure.  Let's work on this.

G.B.

Gumballhead

Quote from: Gopher Boy on April 18, 2011, 11:53:29 PM
Hmmm...  Interesting...

I like the concept of "Nation Maker"  and "Illinois Appleseed"

Shoot a brown bess and possible catch them self  on fire...  Wait a minute that is only me.

Not sure the shooting a target with a brown bess is the best idea, but something special like that for sure.  Let's work on this.

G.B.
Beat me to it!

I like it.  We hear from our shooters how much they enjoy the history.  Having the opportunity to handle and utilize the newly crafted rifleman skills with something similar to what the likes of our forefathers used can really make an impact.  I know a certain 13 year old shooter who will never forget this sunday, when a helpful instructor asked him if he would like to fire an AR15 after he had completed his red coat...

Let me know if i can help.

grassy

Dewitt county sportsmans has a group that will let you shoot their blackpowder rifles. i think they meet on the forth sunday of the month. if anyone is interested in details let me know i will get all the specifics.

Missouri Brigade

I would be interested in the details of this.  Thanks.

Quote from: grassy on April 19, 2011, 12:26:56 AM
Dewitt county sportsmans has a group that will let you shoot their blackpowder rifles. i think they meet on the forth sunday of the month. if anyone is interested in details let me know i will get all the specifics.

Garand69

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Pappy

Hello Group; There is way to many un attached to Illinois, folks who seem to think they hold some sort of sway here in the Land of Lincoln.
We have every right to do what ever we like with any Patch design for what ever we desire to come up with. The shooters - many of them kids- enjoy this sort of thing......
Its a gimme, that they will remember the day with.. The young Patriot patch is much like this idea... Could be used in a like manner.
The Patch could be shaped like the pocket flap on your shooting jacket.... We could spend some time and come up with a design that would appeal..... Pappy   
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Ratchett

Hey guys I am not trying to start a brouhaha here but this is a nation wide organization not a state run deal. You now delete post by non state members (at least I do not see one written by a fellow seeder from my home state) and disregard opinions of others???

The Luther Blanchard Young Patriot Patch has an historical meaning and a story to young people of how they can make a difference.

I do not dismiss that shooting black powder is  a cool thing and fun, been going it since I was 12--not well but still is a memorable deal. Do not need a patch to remember the smell of burning powder or the hole the ball made. Fun as the .50 cal

My .02 and humble opinion.
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Garand69

Quote from: Ratchett on April 26, 2011, 09:16:30 PM
Hey guys I am not trying to start a brouhaha here but this is a nation wide organization not a state run deal. You now delete post by non state members (at least I do not see one written by a fellow seeder from my home state) and disregard opinions of others???

The Luther Blanchard Young Patriot Patch has an historical meaning and a story to young people of how they can make a difference.

I do not dismiss that shooting black powder is  a cool thing and fun, been going it since I was 12--not well but still is a memorable deal. Do not need a patch to remember the smell of burning powder or the hole the ball made. Fun as the .50 cal

My .02 and humble opinion.

brouhaha eh  &)  ;D

Ratchett, I have little issues of what you say, yes this is a National program, but the success of this program has a lot to do with the success of the States.... right?

As an SC, I need to keep the Volunteers for the most part happy, and dedicated to the program. How I do it here, may not work there, and vice versa, but you have to constantly introduce new ideas for moral, not only for the Volunteers but returning shooters as well.

Some States are literally bleeding Volunteers, some of whom were extremely dedicated to the program, so far Illinois has not had that issue. This type of bleeding can be dealt with many ways. Some States stock up on bandages, some States belittle the blood and tell it that it just isn't dedicated enough quit whining and get back in the body, and some try to maintain a "Sharp Free Zone" and stock up on bandages just in case Pappy... err I mean someone sneaks in with a pig sticker  >:D

As for moderating the board, that's what we moderators do, and this is an Illinois board, not a general discussion asking the opinion of all. This thread started as a question posed to Illinois. If I posted something on another States board that simply disagreed, I would have no issue with my post being pulled.

I for one am not a fan of the "Collect all 12 Rifleman Patches" mindset, I think that is silly, but it works in some States very well, so be it. I would rather stick with only one Rifleman Patch and then have a few special/so-called "moral" patches here and there.

Illinois has done this since the beginning. Some may have noticed the blue "Below Zero" patch that a few wear. It was issued to a very small group that decided to show up in North Western IL in sub-zero temps to camp out for several weekends and literally carve a 25M Rifle Range out of the woods. These folks came in from MI, IN, IL and IA. Most had never met, and we not only accomplished the task, we are literally friends for life, and these folks are some of the most dedicated Volunteers that Appleseed has, they deserved a patch.

The patch mentioned above, is an idea, I like it, but we haven't sat down and completely decided what it will be to achieve it, it will be a special reason, and the earner of the patch will have a reason to wear it proudly. just like that Below Zero Patch, the 300 Patch and the upcoming IL HBC patch.

Volunteer Organizations literally thrive or fail depending on one thing.... Camaraderie. How you build it in your State is up to you. O0

See you on the trail ;)
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Ratchett

Quote from: Garand69 on April 27, 2011, 02:08:57 PM

As for moderating the board, that's what we moderators do, and this is an Illinois board, not a general discussion asking the opinion of all. This thread started as a question posed to Illinois. If I posted something on another States board that simply disagreed, I would have no issue with my post being pulled.

See you on the trail ;)

Guess we just view "moderating" differently. New at the SC game, but my mindset right now is comments, ideas, complaints, etc are welcome as long as they are not attacking someone's character or are inappropriate for a family friendly organization.  Bouncing ideas is how most organizations grow not censoring comments that disagree in a civil manner.

Won' t clutter the thread any further as it is off topic, can exchange PMs if need be :)

See you on the trail, til then....

In His Grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley