News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR- 1st History Boot Camp- Ottawa, IL 4/2-3/2011

Started by Garand69, April 06, 2011, 07:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garand69

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Well, WE DID IT!!!!! 35 of the Nation's Finest Appleseeder's from 5 States were able to attend the 1st History Boot Camp held at the excellent facilities of the Ottawa Masonic Temple!!!!

As many of you may or may not know, things have been a tad exciting here in Illinois lately, sometimes a tad tooooo exciting! We met a couple of forks in the road while planning this event, but thankfully maintained our destination throughout!

We started planning this quite some time ago, and I would like to thank those on the planning committee....  EEL, Pappy, Wurstmacher, TheEditor, Boba Fett, They did an outstanding job putting this all together!!! O0  O0

Most of us arrived on Friday Night, some later than others. I had some last minute grocery shopping to do so I arrived later in the evening.

Everything was going fine, Ole' Red, my [t]Rusty Pick 'em up truck was protesting a bit on the way out. Seems the serpentine belt was slippin' a bit over 70mph. So I fiqured I'd let the old gal cool down a bit and let her idle while I unloaded the food for the masses. I looked down both ways in the alley and no one was stirring, not even a mouse, so I figured I was good to go and Ole' Red would be safe and sound while she caught her breath.

Well my second arm full into the basement of the building where the kitchen is, I ran into my good pal Pappy.... who promptly said... "Hey Buddy, glad to see you could make it, need a hand getting unloaded?"

Well of course I said sure Pappy, that would be swell. Well we started up the concrete stairs out of the kitchen and up to the alley when he said.... Hey Buddy, Where'd you park???

About that time I looked up...... Ole' Red was gone!!! :o :o :o :o There is not a a smiley face that effectively portrays the look on my face, but let's just say Pappy was nice enough to say my jaw hit the ground, and then proceeded to go down all the stairs and into the kitchen  ++) $$-0

Of course my old pal Pappy was playing this off cool as a cucumber acting all serious like...

After about 5 minutes, all of a sudden I see Ole' Red sneeking around the corner with her abductor behind the wheel... Stealin' Ole' Red ehh  That's like stealing Elvis' Cadillac!! &) &)

I'm gettin' ready to have all sorts of fun with this grand theft theiverer when I noticed who it was..... Deacon from Wisconsin!

Who the heck would think a feller that goes by Deacon would steal Elvis' Cadi.. err I mean Ole' Red!!! &) &) &)

Well After we all had a good laugh about Deacon trying to find the Headlight switch (Ole' Red doesn't really like dashboards, she says they're so passe' ) we got to finally finish unloading Ole' Red, who by the way is now very leery of strangers from WI!!

The fun part of all of this is the paranoia a nice feller from WI named Deacon gets when he steals a Truck from a Chicago Redi-Mix Truck Driver  **) **) **) **) **) **) He still is sleeping with one eye open from what I hear  **) **) ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Well that's enough about that. The HBC went without a hitch, and everyone involved walked away with better History/Benediction Telling Skills.

A huge Thanks go out to all that helped made this happen O0 We even had folks rotating shifts out to the Waterman Shoot to insure it's quality Staffing!

We had a great meeting afterward and I believe a solid hard copy version for all to enjoy will be published soon.

I look forward to the more formal run down from EEL and others, maybe he will get a chance to post before he leaves for Knob Creek.

I know that the Mid-Wests latest Blue Hat took a bunch of pictures, but she is on a top secret undisclosed mission with two of her co-conspirators, so the Pics might be a day or two (remember fellow attendees, don't name the three amigo's! their cover will be blown!!! &))

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

2 clicks low

Thanks to EEL & company. Special kudos to the instructors who bounced in and out of Waterman to do their part.

I learned a lot. A whole lot  :bow: :bow: :bow: I will be digesting, studying and practicing for weeks yet. I regret my loss in not being able to be there for the evening portions.

Once again thanks to the Masons for use of their digs and much thanks to Pappy and G69 for preventing starvation.

If you missed this one, you MUST make the next one. The histroy you save may very well be your own.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Western Rose

Quote from: Garand69 on April 06, 2011, 07:02:02 PM
I know that the Mid-Wests latest Blue Hat took a bunch of pictures, but she is on a top secret undisclosed mission with two of her co-conspirators, so the Pics might be a day or two (remember fellow attendees, don't name the three amigo's! their cover will be blown!!! &))

:D Thanks for the tip!!! ^:)^ The latest Blue hat is the one of the three that we weren't sure about! :o
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

AFTERMATH

Way to go guys!  Wish I'd have been there!

It's a good thing it was Deacon who took Ole' Red.  Should it have been left in the hands of a Minnesotan, surely it had been ditched, rolled or lost a fuel pump - We're not used to driving in nice weather.   %)

Hopefully I can dig my way out of this frozen tundra for some border raiding soon!

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

EEL

Well, obviously you can't EVER tell G69 a secret  ;D  We approached this HBC with a seriousness that would make our forefathers proud. History.  It's what separates us from all the other shooting clinics.

As G69 stated, we were working on this since the IBC in January.  We found IBCs just don't provide much in the way of story telling and that's where many of our newer orange hats, and even a few RHs, need want help. 

We started off bright and early Sat morning with a big breakfast and then it was "In your chairs by 0730".  A quick rundown of the days activities and we were soon eyeballs deep into Paul Revere's Ride.  No, not the book.  The assignment said you were to have read it before attending.  We made our way through that section and outlined the talking points.  The students then got to hear 2 separate versions.  By making PRR a separate segment, the shooters get easy introduction to the "players" of the day and an idea of how things came to be.

A quick break and then on to 1st strike.   The huge "post-it" pad was a great help.  The points were written out and then stuck up on the wall for future ref.

Lunch was ready when we came downstairs.  Prolly a good thing for G69 and Pappy cause this group was hungry.  Upon completion of lunch we dove right into 2nd and 3rd strikes.  We finished up at 1700.  From 1700-1800, the folks had time to decompress, get their bunks set up, relax, etc.  1800-1900 was dinner.  Again, a fantastic meal served up by "a couple guys I know". 

The plan was for a Jeopardy game from 1900-2000, but that didn't go off as planned.  Gopher Boy ran long at the shoot in Waterman so we did what any Rifleman would do....we improvised.  The "break out sessions" were gonna be after the Jeopardy game but due to the delay, we ran those first.  A slight mix-up on my part caused some of the smaller sessions to not be as productive as we had hoped.  Lessons learned for next time.

We finished up the day with the Jeopardy game which, in hindsight, was a good thing.  It was a nice way to end a loooong day.  A little friendly competition between RH and Orange hats provided lots of laughs, kidding, team building, and camaraderie.  Thanks TheEditor!.

We closed shop for the day around 2200.  Whew!!!

Sunday found us talking about D.O.M.s and Liberties Daughters.  Shooter 30-06 then gave us all a little talk on persuasive speaking.  Lawyer tricks they were taught in school!!  Problem is...they work!!! 

We then got into Benedictions.  Perhaps the most important talk you will give all weekend.  Our students found that ideas for benedictions are all around you.  Anything and everything can be worked into your benediction.  Just make it applicable, connect it between today and 1775 and you are good to go. 

All weekend I was copying flash drives for folks.  A TON of information that I hope they share willingly with others.  We are all on the same team.  They win, you win.

Lunch was a working affair.  We had folks from back east trying to get home at a decent hour so I finished up with the HBC benediction while everyone ate.  Big Papa had written "Ode to a Rifleman" back in '08.  I did my best to get through it...but failed.  If you haven't read it, do so.  Then try reading it outloud, to a group of wonderful Rifleman volunteers.  It is truly a fine piece of work.

Having worked through lunch, we were able to cut everyone loose at 1300.  Many jumped at the chance to get on the road for that long ride home.  Others hung around, like often happens at an AS event, not wanting it to end. 

I want to thank all those that took a weekend away, a nice weekend at that, and made the trip to Ottawa, Illinois.  A leap of faith for sure.  A pilot program.  Untested.  Unsure if expectations would be realized.  But with a deep desire to learn all they could about April 19, 1775 and how to convey the importance, the sacrifice, the choices, the obligation.

I sincerely hope all your expectations were met.  I have read over the comments you all were kind enough to write.  Rest assured they will be implemented for the next HBC.

If the SB allows it, ;) we will try to do the HBC, one segment per night, during the RBC in Osage in October.  That RBC is truly one to attend. 

Again my thanks to all that made the sacrifice, made the trip, and spent the weekend with us.  It was Illinois' honor to have y'all here with us.

Respectfully,
EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

mtbrass

It was definitely time well spent. O0 Listening to the different ways the history is presented was very helpful and the break out session was also a good learning experience. Thanks to all those who go the extra mile to put something like this on.  They make is sound easy but it is extra work and it is appreciated  :bow: :bow: Thanks folks.

ben1775

Ugh! Wish I could have been there for this, but that long dusty AS trail just had to call my name and who am I to say no  ;)

Sounds like youse guys knocked it outta the park, this is truly the most important thing any instructor can learn. Way to go folks  O0

I will, as always, be in Osage in Oct so I guess I'll get to go to an HBC after all  :D

Gumballhead

Well said.

This was certainly one of the best events to be a part of this year.  I'm sad I had to bolt after giving PRR, but I was needed @ the Waterman shoot to relieve Gopher Boy so he could come back to the lodge, and give 2nd strike.  I heard a lot of good things when I got back that night, and Gopher Boy filled me in when he got back after lunch.  You guys did a great job!

I think this method of brain storming, group participating instruction is very effective.  It gives everyone the opportunity to provide input for the events of each segment, then you can decide what you use at YOUR shoots, based on YOUR audience.  Maybe you have a large number of women/children...focus on liberty's daughters, and the women of the day.  Is your crowd a little older, but still very good in overwatch?  Then focus on the DOM and the older participants of the day.  So much happened, and so many people were involved, it's never a stretch to find a way to make the story interesting to your target audience. 

All in all, I think this method should be very effective with helping tell the story.  NOT the events...anyone can pick up a book, and regurgitate information.  But how to become the story.  Tell it with the emotion and passion as it happened 236 years ago.  Make your audience relive those gut wrenching choices, show the consequences of the actions.  As EEL said.  the history is what separates us from the others.  Let's really take that to heart.

I must say hats off to our wonderful, talented riflechefs! >:D  Great job keeping this group of hungry instructors fed.  A warm place to sleep and 3 squares...all for $20!!  What a deal!  A HUGE thank you to the planning committee for this event.  You spent a considerable amount of time planning, developing, and executing this event.  Just like a well oiled shoot, all we had to do was show up, and everything was in order.

Finally, Jeopardy! was a hit.  We need to find a way to box this game and sell it!  Our newest midwest-ish Orange hat stole the show with ALL the right answers!  Way to go!!

To all, see you again soon.

ITB

Great event, everyone!

Thanks to Pappy and Garand for the facilities and food.  Please don't be offended by my daughter's pickiness, she's worse at home.   :wb:

It was great to hear so many different versions of the Strikes, and the in-depth discussions allowed me to add some tools to the toolbox.

And as always, it's fun to spend the whole weekend with a great bunch of folks all focused on the same goal.

One suggestion I'd like to make for future events - more breakout sessions, maybe even one session after each Strike.  Superheat has frequently said this -  and his storytelling shows it - reps (repetitions) are the key to telling the Strikes.  The more you do it, the better you get.  I think if we broke into smaller groups after each strike, and had each person tell their First Strike to their group, that would be a big help for the students towards "eating the elephant."

Please allow the indulgence of a proud papa - it did my heart proud to hear my 13 year-old daughter do a great job on her first First Strike.  While I didn't actually hear it (I knew she wouldn't do it in front of me), several people who did asked me afterwards if she has a photgraphic memory.  No the case - she's just a voracious reader.  She spends more time reading than most other kids spend watching TV, texting, surfing the net and playing video games.  She's now registered on this site using her nickname, Gibson (a cat on youtube, not the actor).  Thanks to Boba for giving her the Orange Hat.  I'll be putting her to work soon.   &)

Special thanks to EEL for putting this thing together.  I know it was a lot of work, but it showed, and everything ran smoothly.
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Garand69

Gibson.... A picky eater??? I never noticed  **) **) She did eat a tad more on Sunday, probably due to the self induced starvation  **) Maybe we will add some pancakes to the breakfast menu for the next event  O0

It was great seeing the young girls participating all weekend, they did a great job especially during Jeopardy!

Another Hat was handled out that weekend and it took all sorts of crafty manueverin' to get it done! A particular person that now goes by Shutterbug finally accepted a Blue Hat!! Of course it was a team effort on this one. I was going to go with a staple gun, but Nurse Ratchet had a better nicer idea. A bunch of autographs under the bill and she had no choice but to accept!

Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio- THANKS FOR COMING OUT!!!!
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Ishy

Quote from: Western Rose on April 06, 2011, 07:56:41 PM
:D Thanks for the tip!!! ^:)^ The latest Blue hat is the one of the three that we weren't sure about! :o

Cri???    :o
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

Western Rose

QuoteWell, obviously you can't EVER tell G69 a secret  ;D

Hehe, OK, I'll admit, they were here before G69 posted. But then... the Idaho crew had already figured they'd cut a deal with you all.  ;) :)

Quote from: Ishy on April 07, 2011, 11:54:38 PM
Quote from: Western Rose on April 06, 2011, 07:56:41 PM

Cri???    :o

Yeah!
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Garand69

Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Ishy

What a surprise!  Wow!!!   :o :D ..:..  Go, Cri!  Huzzah!   ^:)^
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

Pappy

Hello Group; THE FIRST HISTORY BOOT CAMP<ILLINOIS> CUTTING EDGE, again......
Yes, there is a bit of pride in that opening..... A Big THANKYOU should go to, our Instructor Coordinator, EEL. Who pulled this together without the guidance this would never have happened.... The Kitchen seems to be a place where The G-69 Man and others conspire about the upcoming years events at the Lodge this is more than a place where food is prepared----- There are some great plans put together during the rendering of a lunch menu,,,, OH ya may not want to leave your truck unlocked or pistol unsecured  >:D >:D
stuff happens  O0 :bow: Well done Deacon, I know who to have around when we need to make a plan work--- without a word, you are a inspiration..... >:D **) :cool2:
The event whent without a hitch, the thought of having a HISTORY BOOT CAMP IN EACH STATE, should be a no brainer.... The Instructor Corps needs it to grow the newer folks into the RED HAT & INSTRUCTORS we need.....
The FUN lasted till all were gone on Sunday afternoon!!!
WE have a LOT of PHOTOS,,, RIGHT!
A new Illinois Blue hat from Ohio, how does that work ? Well now she took enough photos that the Eastman company stock when up two points ish, or maby that was the Fuji stock... NO matter Our new Blue Hat came with Nurse Ratchett and her brother who said he was going in the airfarce ::) Gold fish, who would make a great Soldier if he cant get off the ground... Shutter Bug! We are all waiting to sample your Pic`s
Post them  PLEASE  ASAP....
Hope that the SWAP MEET TABLE WAS A HIT WITH FOLKS>>>

This will have to be REPEATED.   Thanks to all who were able to attend, Kitchen staffer asst cook and barrel washer, Pappy

Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Fred

Not only sounds like an excellent job by all, but looks like this should be something of interest to all SCs and ITs in the program. Can I suggest you post info on this on the SC board? An "idea whose time has come" needs to be trumpeted thruout the program!

I might suggest http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=2077.msg22285#msg22285 would make a good tie-in not only as an opportunity to 'polish' storytelling, but hitting a totally new audience in the process. This is an opportunity which may be worth mentioning and incorporating at the nest HBC.

I'd sure like to attend one on these, as should any instructor in the program.

Congratulations on "something new" in Appleseed! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Garand69

Will do Fred  O0

We are in the middle of dotting some I's and crossing some T's. After that we will have something to present to the masses ^:)^
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

GoldFish

Talk about a great weekend man!  I think I learned more in that day-and-a-half than I have in a long time.
EEL, thanks so much for putting the whole thing together and making it run like it did; IL certainly has a good man in front of them. O0
Elvis, er...I mean...Garand69 and Pappy, thanks for doing double duty this weekend and being cooks as well as Riflemen this weekend, so that all of us participants could focus on History and eat without having to prep it ourselves.  Certainly made things easier on us. :bow:
Deacon, thanks for helping me out this weekend with all that you did; it was greatly appreciated.

So uh, yeah, EEL, I don't think that letting Elvis in on any secrets would be a good idea any more; it sorta seems to me that he can't keep them to himself, even though he thinks he can.  Better keep things to ourselves next time, before he blows something big.  But uh, don't tell him any of this, because you know that those Redi-Mix truck drivers can get sorta emotional. ::) ;D :)

Well Pappy, I'm not sure yet, but I'll know what to expect from you if I join the USAF. :( ;)  Thank you for your advice on options, etc.  You can be sure that you'll know what I end up deciding on.

To all who weren't there, get to the next HBC that you can!!!  I found it very beneficial, especially being one that hasn't prepped his History yet.  Great event that I hope is duplicated soon.

Shutterbug, pics please? :sos:

---GF

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Pappy

And The PHOTO`s were taken by Shutterbugged, a NEW BLEU hat from OIllinoiHO... P
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Shutterbug

Yes, guys, I really was there and I really did take pictures.  However, I just got home late Thursday night from my "top secret undisclosed mission" (at least it was supposed to be a secret, Garand  :P) to Idaho so I'm still sorting through pictures.  Once I finish with that and can make it out to the library--aka high speed internet--I'll post them up here.  It'll be soon, I promise.  O0

Thanks to all the Illinois crew who organized, planned, and presented this HBC and to all the instructors who took time out of busy schedules to come out and learn how to better commuicate our heritage to Appleseeders and anyone else who will listen.  You all are an inspiration and greatly appreciated. 

Press on,
~Shutterbug

Garand69

Ahem.... and just where is that shiny new blue hat on your avatar pic  &) &) &) &)
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Shutterbug

Quote from: Garand69 on April 18, 2011, 11:16:42 AM
Ahem.... and just where is that shiny new blue hat on your avatar pic  &) &) &) &)

Well, since I'm not in the habit of taking pictures of myself, I didn't have one to upload when I registered. I promise I did wear it in Bickleton, though, and I'm pretty sure someone got pictures. So, be patient and a shiny new blue hat may just appear in my avatar picture one of these days. 

In the mean time, here are HBC pictures.

Shutterbug

Ok, here we go...still figuring out all this posting pictures on the forum stuff.  ++)

Shutterbug

More coming soon...having some trouble with my account.

Shutterbug

Alright, looks like everything's all set with my account now (thanks Bill3 and scuzzy!) so here, finally, are my pictures. Sorry about the delay, guys. 

Shutterbug

Some more...

Shutterbug

And some more...

Garand69

Oh my Lord... I specifically requested the "slimming angles" and you post all the fat shots &) &) I did get a hair cut though! :D
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz