News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD where should I go to learn it?

Started by pennys dad, April 06, 2011, 12:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pennys dad

Hi Everyone, I hope you are all doing well

I am just wondering where (which state or which shoot) can I go to and learn KD?  Or should I plan on attending an RBC?

Thx for the help and information

Justin

You want to read about it? I'll send you the info.
You want to be taught? We'll start talking at the next seed we are both at.
Otherwise, I'm sure there will be an RBC coming up soon.

Let me know whatever information you want, or if you just want to discuss it.
"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

Rocket Man

Techres made a great video about KD available here:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=21060.msg164665#msg164665

There is also a KD handout in process:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18214.msg166608#msg166608

Let's talk about it at the next shoot -- see you in Azusa. 
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

slim

KD is art... more than science.

There's a lot of science behind it so it's important to watch the videos, study the handouts and really understand the concepts. But, to be an effective KD shooter in the field you have to - like all things Appleseed - persist.

The first thing you should do is review the online resources posted above.

Then, head to an AS event and take advantage of the knowledge and experience guys like Rocket Man have. There's a wealth of information out there and I've yet to see an AS instructor who didn't like passing on their KD knowledge.

Next..... go shoot! 

jmdavis

Learn what you can online and at and an RBC. The first will help you to learn the fundamentals (which are the same regardless of Range). The second will allow you the opportunity to master those fundamentals. RBC's always include KD. Many states have KD days as well.

After both of those, you dryfire, practice and shoot under presure.

KD requires you to understand the fundamentals and practice them in an environment where all of your mistakes are magnified by distance. For instance a 4moa group at 25m (1 inch) is equivalent  a 4moa group at 400 meters (16 inches).

High Power, High Power Silhouette and 3 gun are good opportunities to practice your KD skills in an environment where you are under pressure.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

fepowered

Check out your State Rifle Club web site http://www.crpa.org/     You can also contact the CA High Power Committee Chair:
Mike Barranco
Phone:  (949) 786-4683
Email: highpowerriflecrpa@hotmail.com

Check out the CA High Power site.  http://www.carifle.com/
You can look for Small Arms clinics in your area. These are designed to help you get started in full distance shooting.  Start there and then look for High Power matches.   You will find reduced range shoots listed on this site which can ease you into things. 
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

Nickle

Slim, you're part way right.

KD is a little bit Art, a bunch of Science, but the majority of it is Psychological.

People see it, and make it harder than it is.

My suggestion on where to learn it is a good RBC, or get the basics at an Appleseed that has a KD component. Make sure it's an event that has at least 300 yards, if not 400 yards.

And, in the mean time, get your centerfire rifle together, and work it at 25 meters so you get used to it, until you're 100% comfortable with it. This in itself is one of the biggest failures I tend to see. We get so used to the .22's that we forget to train with the centerfire too. That's mostly because the .22 is cheap and fun.

The Basics are the same, either KD or 25 meters. The difference between the two is mostly wind doping and come-ups.

And, some of us find KD easier than 25 meters.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Pvt.Joker

Quote from: Nickle on April 06, 2011, 01:51:42 PM

The Basics are the same, either KD or 25 meters. The difference between the two is mostly wind doping and come-ups.

And, some of us find KD easier than 25 meters.

This is absolutely correct. You just have to get out of the mindset of "Don't adjust the sights! I got 'em just right!"  I've seen guys trying to put wind on rifles so fast they were raising blisters...
"The battlefields of history are littered with the bones of those, who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest; and, resting, died."   
"We can't guarantee success in this war, but we can do something better. We can deserve it."
-John Adams, in a letter to his wife, Abigail.

pennys dad

Thank you everyone, this is some great feedback.  I looks like a new avenue of fun!
Oh and Nickle, I am in full agreement about the 22lr and centerfire.  So I figure its time to make some of the centerfires to earn their way in the safe!

pennys dad

Quote from: Justin on April 06, 2011, 03:04:45 AM
You want to read about it? I'll send you the info.
You want to be taught? We'll start talking at the next seed we are both at.
Otherwise, I'm sure there will be an RBC coming up soon.

Let me know whatever information you want, or if you just want to discuss it.

Reading is the first part so Yes!
Learning is the 2nd part so after the 16th I will come find you.
RBC, Oh ya! just for the fun.
4th part  ;D Whooping your Marine butt Army style!!! Just like the old days -  HAHAHAHHAHA ROFL

Thank You Justin, I hope you had a great day.