News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Is the Anderson Shoot still on for March 19th and 20th?

Started by blume357, March 06, 2011, 09:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blume357

Made rifleman on my first practice AQT
then went down hill from there......

TAZDevil

"An Englishman's home is his castle" Jason Russell

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."  John Adams

blume357

Great,   I'm hoping I will be able to make it for one day...   have to ask my wife sometime today about it. 
This is the weekend of our wedding anniversary...

blume357

I've been watching the video that Dwayne posted on the sticky link in the first thread on this forum...

http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1

and I realize I am totally lost on this rifle sling thing.    I never could get it right last year at the shoot I went to in Gaston and I'm hoping maybe a little more time will be spent on it this Saturday in Anderson.

TAZDevil

bring a sling
we'll instruct, you'll have plenty of time
steve

706 833 8760
"An Englishman's home is his castle" Jason Russell

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."  John Adams

blume357

I'm planning to be at the Anderson event tomorrow but I intentially did not pre-register because I was not sure I would be able to make it until this week.   Hope that does not mess you folks up.

also,  I was at the gaston shoot last year (March) for two days and actually got my patch, so I'm not a newby.

blume357

Well,  I made it and learned a lot.  Now I think I have got the sling part down.     I only attended on Saturday and that was more than enough Sun and Heat for me.... I wasn't worth a dern on Sunday.   Don't know how that turned out since it seems we all learned on Saturday that there was to be no shooting until after 1:30 on Sunday. (I'm still trying to promote one here in Greenville at the Greenville Gun Club...  You can shoot at 9 on Sundays here... but most are already booked for something.)

It was hot,  I can't really imagine going to one of these in the Summer unless there was a lot of shade available at least during the instruction and history part  along with a lot of cold water.

I plan to attend again when my  'WWW' schedule allows.. (Wife, Weather, Work... in that order)  but will probably come for one day again and that will be the 2nd day.   Since I had already sighted in my rifles at 25 yards and knew all of the positions and such from before the first half of the day was a little tedious...  I was already kind of worn down and tired by the time we finally got to the AQTs.

I did not hand any of my targets in because I had already qualified before, but by my  count I shot over 210 on both my 1st and 2nd  AQT's but lost it on the 3rd... with only a 198.  I then switched rifles and most folks thought I was cheating because this one had a scope... it is a millet tactical 1-4x and I used it with no power on the next AQT and shot a 210.... oddly the best group was shooting standing....   9 rounds in less than a 2" group in the 5 and one 'flyer'  in the 3.... but then I spread out a little on the others...  did not adjust the sling on this rifle for sitting or prone.  Last AQT I shot at 4x and only shot about a 200.

Again, thanks to the orange and green hats for your time and commitment.