News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Kaysville, UT 25/26 March 2011

Started by V, March 27, 2011, 05:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

Thanks to Dave (rifleman2000) for setting up the events with Wasatch range in Kaysville we kicked off 2011 Utah with the same great results with which we ended 2010 only better - a Winterseed! Well OK by Utah standards it was a flurry but for this Californian - snow and its stayed on the ground!

Eleven shooters who showed up over the 2 days despite the forecast, and four rifleman patches, not bad work for a weekend, Friday/Saturday.  The shoot had been arranged for this date because the schools were being furloughed for budget cuts but wouldn't you know it, those people in Washington bailed them out and they opened the schools this Friday anyway... otherwise I'm sure we would have had more shooters. In which case we wouldn't have been on a concrete pad under cover in the snow but in the open field laying in the mud!

But we had one young man who could only make the Saturday, 12 yo Nate. As he and his dad were getting ready I heard him say, "No I don't want the gloves, I'll just have to get used to the cold." As I said to his Dad "I like this man's attitude!" And sure enough he didn't disappoint from a first AQT of 10 to a high score of 137... remember, this is the second day of this shoot, review and into the grind. A young man who showed a lot of the older participants how to persevere and keep going in the face of a firehose of instruction. Congratulations Nate, a well earned Luther Blanchard patch.

Thanks to all the instructors who came out to make this so successful, Trent (Two of Three), Chelsea (sharpeyedfirechild), Dave (rifleman2000 trying his hand at running a shoot for the first time) and even Steve (Buzz) who only took the Orange Hat at the last shoot of 2010 turned up to show solidarity with his arm in a sling. Good on ya, mate! Get well and we'll see you in June.

Jesse and Heather came out for their first Appleseed, having come across it on Survialblog.com. Heather had to drop out on Friday after starting on with some amazingly good groups due to the cold. Jesse went on to return on Saturday to make his Rifleman score with a 210 - we didn't have the heart to throw water on him. Congratulations and hope to see you both back when its warmer in June.

Alex, a returning shooter from the Sept shoot, who signed up for both days, shot a respectable 221, and had to miss his second day to return to duty. Congratulations, and feel free to steal, adapt, and share the skills with your unit.

Well, there was some family money riding on Jay and Nates scores but I think I can declare it a wash - Jay shot a 222 rifleman score but his son's high of 137 is not to be dismissed lightly, remember folks, that is a qualifying marksman score on the AQT and truly make him a young man who knows what he is about. Congratulations to you both.

Finally, one of our second day walk-on's, Brandon, who had been at the range last September and wandered down to watch for a few minutes this "Appleseed Thing" that was going on that weekend, came in and shot a 223. Congratulations and look forward to seeing you and your friends in June.

All the rest of our shooters, Andrew, Connor, Andrew, John and Dillon, showed great grit and determination and it showed in the improvement in their scores, some agonizingly close (208 we looked, we squeezed) but all left knowing their weakness, knowing what they need to work on in dry practice, knowing what they were about and I'm sure we'll be handing out more patches to them in June. Congratulations guys.

For me the high points of the weekend was Connor's dad bringing in some results of a family history search by a member of their family. Discharge papers for 5/6th grand-fathers signed by Washington, militia service logs (showing they "went missing" a couple of times but came back - no shame there, many of the militia had to return home to keep family and hearth together at some time or another). Thank you for sharing, it bring the history alive and keeps it personal. Which was the other high point, thank you Chelsea for putting it on the line in your history presentation.

Thank you once again Utah, keep up the good work and don't forget that Seventh Step, bring all your friends in June.

Please everybody chime in and I know I saw lots of camera's around so upload the photos (use the "Attachments and other options" button below the box you type in when you post a reply  ;) )

Cheers
Phil

Johnnyappleseed

Good report V O0
Made me feel like I was there,minus the shivering cold  ;D
Looking foreward to the pic's .
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

TuckerUT

Huge thanks to all those that volunteered their time for this shoot, my son and I had a great time we are already looking forward to the next shoot. 

Here are a couple of pics that I took:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

V

I talked about this book at Kaysville UT this weekend

Check this out, here's another first edition available for $35 even though its annotated "VERY RARE"

This website is a good place to work with good old fashioned book sellers dealing with real books....

Cheers
Frusty  :) V

passinthru

We used invisible ink when I was a mere kid, but now V's developed an invisible book.  Quite the accomplishment, no?
Really, V, I can't find the book you are referencing.  Could you help an old guy out?
............thanks.............steve
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

V

Darn, someone went and snapped it up then! This is another first edition but somewhat more pricey

Should have cut and pasted the description. The books on the link are modern print on demand paperback reproductions so if you just want the text/photos they'll do, but if you want to smell the history you have to keep searching for it, Beneath Old Roof Trees by Abram English Brown.

Here's  a PDF of a book by the same author describing the Bedford Flag, which we also talked about in Utah even though I didn't have mine with me. There's a nice photo of the original flag in there...

Oh and duh, here is my html and pdfof Roof Trees on my website if you want to read online before buying... The layout of the pdf is better than the html.

Two-of-Three

And now for the conditions...

(Can you say "Winterseed"?  Good, I thought so.)

... one bullet at a time.

Two-of-Three

Our four (persevering) Riflemen, and one young man who really earned his Luther Blanchard patch and is surely a Rifleman-in-training!  O0
... one bullet at a time.

SLING UP

Thanks to everyone involved, it was a great event!  The snow made things interesting.  Maybe if I would have licked my trigger finger before firing, it would have stuck to the trigger and helped my follow through... ???