News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Left handed with a right hand gun?

Started by zesty, December 21, 2010, 12:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zesty

First let me say, I've been reading through this forum for a while and I understand the rules are a little different here.  I hope this post isn't out of line, this forum is the only one that isn't read-only.  I live in GA but am posting in MO because that's where I'll hopefully attend.  I just heard about the Appleseed Project from a booth at a gunshow.  It sounds fantastic and I'm working on getting my two brothers (near St. Louis) to sign up with me for a class in the spring. 

I have a stock Ruger 10-22.  Is it a problem that I shoot left-handed and this is a right handed gun?  I've grown up with this issue, so it's not completely unfamiliar, but I'm not an avid shooter and certainly haven't tried to be fluid in a timed test.  I know my mechanics are more cumbersome than my right handed brothers.  Personally, I'd like to shoot a right handed gun because they're so common, I'd just like to be forewarned of any special issues.  Any left handed tips from attendees would be appreciated.

Looks like a great organization and this is a great site.  Thanks.

Cheeks

Welcome to the forum.

You will be welcome with whatever rifle you bring, and the instructors will be very familiar with the 10/22. I doubt anyone will give you any flak about shooting the way you described. I'm not left handed, so I can't help there. Just come with what you have, and bring a teachable attitude, and you will have a great time. Search around the forums for tips on Prone, Sitting/Kneeling and Standing positions. It would be good to practice getting into those positions to stretch your muscles before the shoot, but no sweat if you don't. Enjoy. -Cheeks

RifleWoman

If you are also left eye dominant, stay shooting lefty.  If you are right eye dominant then train yourself to shoot right-handed.  I'm right handed, but I'm left eye dominant, so I shot left handed.  Not a problem for me at all except for finding left hand rifles and shotguns. 

What I do for shotguns (if I can't find a lefty) is find one with a neutral cast stock.  For rifles I struggle, getting that mag change in is really hard, but I can do it.  I'm currently looking for a left hand rifle for hunting.  Browning has several, A-bolt is one I'm looking at.  Tikka has a nice one, and Remington also has a nice one but seems a little heavy for hunting to me.  But then I'm a girl.   ;)

Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Devnull

Zesty, it's just a matter of learning how to work your rifle in a way that works for you.

I've seen a 60ish man shoot left handed with a right handed bolt action rifle and score 210+. It can and has been done. Just practice until you find a rhythm that works for you. Most southpaws that I have seen reach over the rifle with their trigger hand and cycle the action and with a 10/22 you will only have to do it once during the course of fire so there is plenty of time.
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Gordon

"Is it a problem that I shoot left-handed and this is a right handed gun?  I've grown up with this issue, so it's not completely unfamiliar, but ... haven't tried to be fluid in a timed test"

I'm strongly left-eye dominant and right-handed -- "cross dominant". Yes, it's an issue, but only a slight one really, especially with a semiautomatic.

The timed courses of fire involve magazine changes, after which you may or may not have to cycle the bolt. Ideally these are done with your trigger hand, while you keep your support hand and arm as stationary as possible so as perturb your position as little as possible. If you're right-handed but shooting as a lefty, then you're doing the mag change with your "weak" (left) hand, which adds a little difficulty but with some persistence you can get it smooth. If you have to operate the bolt, then it's awkward 'cause you have to reach up and over. This is especially true if you have a scope.

But it can be done! I've seen a left-handed shooter with right-handed scoped bolt-action rifle make the Riflemann score. It was a thing of beauty. Again, "persistence" is the keyword.

If you're right-handed, you might think about learning to shoot right-handed. You're likely to get better trigger-control with your right hand, since there's a lot of very important fine motor control going on there and a lot of problems in the shot come from poor trigger control. I think most of the senior instructors in Appleseed advocate shooting strong-hand side. But it's a personal choice in the end. I myself am trying to learn to shoot right-handed, and it's hard since I'm very left-eye dominant and I've always shot left-handed.

But bottom line, this is not a problem! The Ruger 10/22 is an excellent rifle to bring to Appleseed, especially if you can get aperture sights ("Techsignts") and a GI sling. You won't have any real trouble, and certainly no grief from instructors, if you shoot left-handed.

Stay in touch, enjoy that first Appleseed, and let us know how it goes!

-FM

PS: You wrote, "I hope this post isn't out of line ..." Absolutely not! This is exactly the sort of thing the forums are for.

Sprocket

Zesty - Just "run what you brung"  You'll be fine.  As a lefty I find the only long guns I require to be lefty are bolt guns, you'll see why when you get to steady hold factors. ;)

Good luck
Sprocket

SkyHawk

Zesty...I shoot the 10/22 left handed as I am left eye dominant but also left handed.  For the life of me I can't remember which hand I use to insert the mag or charge the bolt - it might be right hand on first mag and left hand for when you swap.  In any case you will work it all out.  I was able to shoot a 227 using tech sights so if I can do it anyone can.

With my right handed Rem 700 (bolt action) I was also able to shoot a rifleman score at KD.  I have to admit it wasn't easy nor fun as there was a lot of fumbling around.  But it was doable.  The rest of my rifles are rt. handed also but being semi auto there really aren't any big issues.  The fact your face is on the same side the spent cases are being ejected worries some people but that has never caused me a problem either.

I don't own an M1A yet but do own a Garand.  Those eject up so maybe those rifles can be considered ambidextrous.  Curiously the manual that comes with a Springfield M1A says if you shoot left handed change to right.  Why I have no idea.

Let me close by also welcoming you to Project Appleseed.  You are sure to have a lot of fun and learn a lot.  Bring your brothers, bring others.  You'll be very glad you did!  Hope to see you on the trail!

Good Luck,
SkyHawk

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

passinthru

ZESTY, :)
KENT hosts a fine Appleseed shoot near Washburn, MO.  I was there weekend before Thanksgiving.  It's just north of Rogers, Ar., 'course, he happens to be my youngest son.  We live in San Diego Ca and drove to MO, on the way my contact lens in my right eye ripped and I had no spare.  I am an old guy (almost 68) and had cataract surgery to my left eye in Feb., so it sees perfect from arms distance to infinity.  So guess what I did?  We only had 3 returning shooters on Sunday so us IIT's got to shoot.  I put a piece of tape over the right lens of my glasses and went for it, as a lefty.  My first AQT was 179, but the second was a 214, so I quit and took over the Line Boss's duties. 
    The techniques taught by A.S. WORK.  The steady hold factors, the six steps to firing the shot, and lots of other things you pick up on the line------> TRANSFERRED OVER.   I had never tried to shoot 'lefty' before, but I paid attention to the above. 
    If you have some miles on your body, I strongly urge you to get into the positions and STRETCH!!!!  It will really help you.  And, there's nothing wrong with warming up your body prior to the morning shoot (walking, etc.) and then stretching before going to the line.
    Oh, it's SO MUCH FUN to IIT the line with your son while his wife and son are shooting.
p.s. it's raining cats 'n dogs here in So. Cal.............................................steve
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

zesty

Thanks everyone, this is fantastic information.  I am left eye dominant, but pretty ambidextrous.  If you pure lefties and cross shooters can do it, I'll have no reason to complain.  I normally work the bolt and mag with my right hand, but sounds like it'd be worthwhile to try using my left.  I'll try out a few methods at the local range and go with what feels best.

Wow, there's a lot of information on this forum.  I have a scope on my 10/22 but like the idea of the techsights so I may put those on.  There's a few other inexpesive mods suggested on this site I may try out.  I won't have a full free weekend until the spring so I've got time to tinker.

Gordon

Quote from: zesty on December 22, 2010, 10:57:56 AM
I have a scope on my 10/22 but like the idea of the techsights so I may put those on.  ...

A scope only helps you shoot better than with aperture sights if you can't see the target clearly through the aperture.

A slight disadvantage of a scope, at least initially": With a scope, most people have to build up the comb of the stock to arrange so that proper "cheek weld" on the comb coincides with proper sight scope alignment with the eye. Often the instructors at Appleseeds have material on hand for "field expedient solutions" to this problem, involving bits of foam, duct tape, vet-wrap, etc. Also, the scope should be as far forward on the rifle as possible.

If you're vision's good, yeah, the aperture sights might be preferable. That said, there's absolutely no problem with using a scoped rifle, however good your eyes may or may not be, if that's what you prefer.

Have fun at that Appleseed!

Gramma Goats

I am left eye dominant and FULLY RIGHT HANDED.  I shoot hand gun right handed but rifle LEFT.  It is as natural for me as anything i have done.  At first i had a bit of a challenge getting into the sling as most instructors are right handed and we had to FIGURE IT OUT  a few times, but now it is NATURAL and if i try to hold a rifle RIGHT HANDED it feels awkward.

Left eye = left hand on the trigger.  I do all functions as if i am left handed when i shoot rifle. Even run the bolt, load mag etc. WEIRD HUH ?

BTW -- my rifle is a standard RIGHT HANDED rifle... I thought about getting a left handed rifle then decided that i needed to shoot whatever i picked up ... so i stuck with the standard and adjusted myself.

Thanks everyone, this is fantastic information.  I am left eye dominant, but pretty ambidextrous.  If you pure lefties and cross shooters can do it, I'll have no reason to complain.  I normally work the bolt and mag with my right hand, but sounds like it'd be worthwhile to try using my left.  I'll try out a few methods at the local range and go with what feels best.

Wow, there's a lot of information on this forum.  I have a scope on my 10/22 but like the idea of the techsights so I may put those on.  There's a few other inexpesive mods suggested on this site I may try out.  I won't have a full free weekend until the spring so I've got time to tinker.
[/quote]
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

TN_Dadx5

Zesty, you shouldn't have any problem using your stock 10/22 right handed.  But it may take a little getting used to it.  I'm left handed, left eye dominant but shoot right handed and weak eyed; that was just the way I was taught and it works for me.  I think lefties have an advantage since we live in a right handed world and are forced to do a lot right handed.

Get yourself a sling (USGI if you can find one), make sure your rifle is unloaded and safe, get down in a prone position and do dot drills right handed.  That should get you ready for Appleseed events, where there will be great instructors to work out any kinks.

Good luck, my left handed brother!
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed