News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marlin?? Opens eyes.

Started by Cyclops WY, March 27, 2011, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyclops WY

I have read quite a bit about the LTR.  I have two ruger 10/22.  One with a 4X fixed and one with tech sites.  Both shoot rifleman almost every time.  They are also modified for appleseeds..... bolt release and extended mag release. I decided on picking up a marlin for an extra......Can't have too many.  (And for a loaner for up coming appleseeds).  Holy *&%# batman.  Accurate is an understatement.  It shoots groups almost as good as my savage 17 with an acutrigger.  I did have a problem with the last round feeding out of the magazine.  About 50% of the time.  Anyone have a solution to that?  I will never buy another ruger 10/22 again.  No need.  Marlin out shoots it at half the cost.  I shot today my highest score on the Q and D AQT 246. I was a ruger fanboy until I shot this rifle.

Cyclops WY
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. Thomas Jefferson

dart67eb

Welcome to The Resistance!  I never had a feed problem.  Does it do it on all of your mags?
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

yellowhousejake

If my 795 won't put five rounds of CCI MiniMags in a 3/8" hole, it's my fault. I have done it several times and that is with tech sights. I have yet to scope it.

All three of my mags feed perfectly. What ammo are you using? I have seen feed issues with some longer ammo like Winchester T22. CCI all feed flawlessly.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

dart67eb

So does the cheap Walmart Federal 550 box.

Cyclops WY

I am using the federal bulk ammo.  I just have to push on the bottom of the mag for it to feed.  It's like it's not pushed all the way up.  I will try other ammo.  That might do it.  I only have one mag at this time.  Store only had 7 rounders.

Thanks,

Cyclops

PS I will let you know how it goes.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. Thomas Jefferson

eaglescouter

Which model Marlin did you acquire?
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

DocBach

Another plus was that it was so cheap I wasn't afraid to paint it. Always wanted to paint a gun but I was always scared it'd turn out bad and I'd ruin my $1000+ gun!

Turned out OK, I think. As for ammo, I found that the 40gr CCI blazers have been pretty good for me. Nice, consistent groups, and no malfunctions yet.
"Soldier, you need to turn off that ACOG before the batteries die" PMI Instructor, Subject Matter Expert

Cyclops WY

I got the Marlin 795 model.

Cyclops WY

dart67eb

You can get in the mag well with a file and sandpaper and they will drop free.

sirk798

For those looking for mags. I haven't seen them any cheaper. I will let you know they are very slow shipping though. Took about 2 weeks to recieve the 6 I ordered. 12.86 for 10 rounders

http://www.lowpriceguns.com/product.php_265912

JustJeff

Quote from: sirk798 on March 27, 2011, 08:51:35 PM
For those looking for mags. I haven't seen them any cheaper. I will let you know they are very slow shipping though. Took about 2 weeks to recieve the 6 I ordered. 12.86 for 10 rounders

http://www.lowpriceguns.com/product.php_265912

Good price.... I pay $16 at my local gun shop.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

yellowhousejake

I painted my Marlin as well, it's a lot cooler in the summer if it isn't black. Federal Bulk feeds well in mine also. I am running all 10 round mags.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Old Dog

Paint the whole rifle.  While I have no intention of painting the metal on my M1 or M1A my ARs get painted.  ARs don't have a "soul" like the M1 and M1A.  I've been meaning to paint my 10/22 for a couple of years to give the metal some protection from the sweat, salt, dirt, etc. folks subject it to at Appleseeds (then I quit loaning it out and just never got around to painting it).

What I do with the ARs is go over the surfaces to be painted twice with alcohol and a lint free rag.  You've got to get the oil off the surfaces to get the paint to stick.  On the ARs I even paint the optics.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

TN_Dadx5

I know that this is off topic on Marlins, but since the topic changed to painting Rugers, here's a picture of a Ruger 10/22 that I put in a dragunov stock and gave it a duracoat treatment.  The AMStripe effect was extremely easy!  Anyone can do it.  It will make it's debut at the next AS in mid-TN with my son as he makes his second attempt at rifleman :~.
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

dart67eb

Ruger?!!  We don't need no stinkin' Rugers!

Quote from: TN_Dadx5 on March 28, 2011, 02:39:47 PM
I know that this is off topic on Marlins, but since the topic changed to painting Rugers, here's a picture of a Ruger 10/22 that I put in a dragunov stock and gave it a duracoat treatment.  The AMStripe effect was extremely easy!  Anyone can do it.  It will make it's debut at the next AS in mid-TN with my son as he makes his second attempt at rifleman :~.

TN_Dadx5

I'm about to do the same job on a Marlin 795.  I'll repost after that :-[.
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

Pvt.Joker

Quote from: Cyclops WY on March 27, 2011, 02:20:32 PM
I will never buy another ruger 10/22 again.  No need.  Marlin out shoots it at half the cost.  I shot today my highest score on the Q and D AQT 246. I was a ruger fanboy until I shot this rifle.

Cyclops WY

Welcome to the party, pal! The only downside I've seen is the Marlin seems to be more sensitive to maintenance. That is to say, it wants to be kept clean. It seems to like some ammo better than others, too, but most rifles have a preference.
"The battlefields of history are littered with the bones of those, who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest; and, resting, died."   
"We can't guarantee success in this war, but we can do something better. We can deserve it."
-John Adams, in a letter to his wife, Abigail.

Nickle

I did have a problem with the last round feeding out of the magazine.  About 50% of the time.  Anyone have a solution to that?   

Yup, go to rimfirecentral.com forum and check the instructions for disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the factory mags. Give them an extra turn when reassembling, and no more last round feed troubles.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

V

I think he's talking about Marlin 795 straight mags not the ruger rotary mags... and not I don't have experience of that problem nor a solution...  :-[
Cheers
Phil
Quote from: Nickle on March 28, 2011, 04:29:34 PM
I did have a problem with the last round feeding out of the magazine.  About 50% of the time.  Anyone have a solution to that?   

Yup, go to rimfirecentral.com forum and check the instructions for disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the factory mags. Give them an extra turn when reassembling, and no more last round feed troubles.

AZRedhawk44

Another Marlin shooter/loaner/collector here.

They really do work well as loaner LTR's.

My $99 marlin didn't shoot well out of the box.  6MOA was the best I could do from prone.

Mine needed a bit of barrel-channel relieving on the stock and then a hint of pressure upwards at 6 oclock at the tip of the stock under the barrel.  I also removed all the slop in the trigger by building up the trigger lever with JB Weld, and got rid of the overtravel by putting in a trigger set-screw.

Shoots great, now.  It's a 1.5MOA gun with cheap ammo.

Quote from: dart67eb on March 27, 2011, 06:51:07 PM

Good idea, Dart.

I've got a new 795 that won't drop free, and an old "Coast to Coast Hardware Store" model 42 (basically a 795 without the last shot hold open and double-function bolt release) where the mags will drop free.  Always felt that the 795 should drop free, but never got around to ordering a spare mag well and experimenting with sanding.  I thought it would have more to do with the magazine/trigger interrupt.  I once had a way to get around that problem but it had unintended side effects, and I undid the changes.

yellowhousejake

I know my mags drop free if I close the bolt after the last shot, takes but a flip of the lever to do it. Mostly I just yang them out. Simple and painless once you get the hang of it, easier than reaching over a AR to hit the bolt release.

I keep thinking I will tinker with it, but then I put into someone elses hands and the idea passes.

YHJ

YHJ

Cory Mathis

OK.  I fixed the mag problem ^:)^...........Just buy new ones.  The ten round mag that came with the rifle just didn't want to work. Picked up a couple of 7 round mags and now it's just as reliable as my Ruger.  O.......the Marlin still shoots straighter then the Ruger.   :)

Cory Mathis

Bought our second Marlin 795.  This one is for my 11 year old daughter.  Shoots great.  AS ready for under 160 dollars.  That's a 4X fixed scope and a GI sling.  Shoots as well or better then mine.  Shot a 245 this morning with mine.  Great rifle.  Junk.......Not so much.  Had one malfunction in 400 rounds this morning.  I can handle that at the cost of a Ruger.  I might have to buy another one just to make sure these rifles are really that good.  Maybe I just got lucky with my first two purchases.   :)

The Log

There's a Marlin factory rebate on the 795 through the end of the year. $25 back by mail. I've seen the display at Walmart, plus the rebate is available online.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

NHale

Quote from: dart67eb on March 27, 2011, 06:51:07 PM

Wanna post a video or printable tutorial? That's the one thing I don't like about the 795.

Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

Cory Mathis

My mags fall free 1/2 the time.  I just pull them out if they don't drop.

Casper