News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NPOA Training Aid, Texas Style

Started by olfart, March 09, 2011, 08:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olfart

I've been to a couple of Appleseeds where instructors had problems keeping the laser pointers turned on during NPOA demonstrations. I've seen duct tape, rubber bands, etc. used to keep the button depressed on the pointer, but those things tend to be iffy. I put my thinking cap on and came up with the idea of sliding the pointer into a flared aluminum tube. The tube holds the pointer firmly and keeps the button depressed until I remove the pointer from the tube. Then I decided to build my own NPOA demo stock and bought a used 10/22 stock on another board. The stock had been painted white, and the price was right. Upon seeing how nice the white paint job was, the stock shouted to me, "Texas Flag!"  And here we have the finished product.

"The cure of crime is not in the electric chair, but in the high chair" ...  However, the electric chair works wonders on recidivism.

AFTERMATH

Oh snap!
Makes me wanna do a MN flag stock - but that wouldn't even be recognizable...
Y'all have a much better flag.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

eaglescouter

I"m still searching for the ideal laser pointer for the NPOA demo, but your stock is much fancier than my M1 stocks from WWII, great job!
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

spitstickler

That is nice, John. And your solution to hold the laser pointer is simple and perfect! Good stuff.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

wcmartin1

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

olfart

Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 09, 2011, 08:49:03 PM
Oh snap!
Makes me wanna do a MN flag stock - but that wouldn't even be recognizable...
Y'all have a much better flag.

I gave brief thought to doing a Colonial flag, but ONE star is a lot easier than 13!
"The cure of crime is not in the electric chair, but in the high chair" ...  However, the electric chair works wonders on recidivism.

JustJeff

very very very nicely done! Kudos for the idea.  I see this one being borrowed by a lot of folks putting together their demo rifles in the future.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Scarecrow

Easier to setup and less expensive than my solution.
Very cool color scheme.
Well done.
I set up an all weather rig with Aimshot green and waterproof switch on the trigger mechanism.
A bunch of time and cash for mine.

oladcock

Very nicely done! :) I use a laser bore sighter in mine, no stinking buttons to hold, positive on/off and has other uses also.

Ain't painting no stock yellow with chicken scratches on it! :)...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Blue Five

Nicely done!  I would try to put a Wisconsin flag on one, but it wouldn't look quite as nice as the Texas flag.

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

JustJeff

Quote from: oladcock on March 10, 2011, 07:26:43 PM

Aw, come on... just do it... you know you want to....
**) ;)
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

olfart

Quote from: oladcock on March 10, 2011, 07:26:43 PM
Very nicely done! :) I use a laser bore sighter in mine, no stinking buttons to hold, positive on/off and has other uses also.

Hey, mine has other uses, too! I can play with the cats when it's not in use for Appleseeds.

Quote from: oladcock

Oh, go ahead. It'll be unique, and if it wound up in someone else's possession you could prove it's yours.

alonso1

What laser?  I just want that stock O0

azmule

While I agree this is a very cool solution, Ace hardware - at least the one near me - has an LED flashlight/red-laser combo with click-on, click-off switch (i.e. no need to hold it down) for around $6-$7.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Texas Rifleman

...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

Lonestar