News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Maryland tag line, Hon?

Started by Patent guy, March 16, 2011, 12:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patent guy

I like the other state's slogans or tag lines.  How about we choose one for Maryland?

How about something from Baltimore "Hon" culture:  "Grab your rifle, Hon, and let's get to an Appleseed"

Alternatively, we could use the actual Maryland Revolutionary war story as a talisman:  "Follow the Old Line volunteers, take your Rifle to an Appleseed"

What say you?   :cool2:
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

brickhouse

QuoteI like the other state's slogans or tag lines.  How about we choose one for Maryland?

How about something from Baltimore "Hon" culture:  "Grab your rifle, Hon, and let's get to an Appleseed"

Alternatively, we could use the actual Maryland Revolutionary war story as a talisman:  "Follow the Old Line volunteers, take your Rifle to an Appleseed"

What say you?    :cool2: 

Great idea, Hon! 

If we are voting, I say the former. It has more charm, and catches the reader's attention and just may pique his curiosity.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

sashok.privetov

"Grab your rifle, Hon, and let's get to an Appleseed"
There, fixed it for ya. More readable that way.

Alternatively, you can redneck-ify it:  "Grab yer rifle, Hon, git to an Appleseed! Where's my sign?"
Shakespeare-ify: "Lo! Methinks, I bid thee: take thy gonne, Hon, and let thee go to an Appleseed, I beseech you Sirrah!"
Caveman-ify: "Grab rifle, Hon! Appleseed, go!"
Stoner-ify: "Cool, man! Take da rifle, Hon, let's go to an Appleseed! Wicked awesome, dude!"
Gangsta-ify: "Yo, Yo, Yo! Waddap, biotch? Fo' shizzle ma' nizzle, cock dat iron, Hon, move fast forward to an Appleseed!  Peace out, mutha$@#&a!"
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

Patent guy

Quote from: sashok.privetov on March 16, 2011, 05:21:54 PM
"Grab your rifle, Hon, and let's get to an Appleseed"

This is great, and the other ideas were hilareous...Shakesper-ify?   **)
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

Patent guy

Imagine that tagline under the image in that amazing new poster (with the young lady holding the AR with the walnut handguard, grip & stock)...just saying.

sashok.privetov

Quote from: Patent guy on March 16, 2011, 06:06:52 PM
Imagine that tagline under the image in that amazing new poster (with the young lady holding the AR with the walnut handguard, grip & stock)...just saying.

The gangsta version should be particularly effective.
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

BeSwift

Here's a few to ponder:

Appleseed in Maryland?... better get yourself to one while you can, hon!

A few more serious attempts:    http://www.marylandsar.org/Maryland_400

Honor the sacrifice of the Maryland 400

How do you measure up to the Maryland 400?

Get to an Appleseed. Honor the Maryland 400.

Men who gave all..  The Maryland 400

If you forget the sacrifice of those who came before you, you can forget about your future...

Hear the history..NEVER forget the sacrifice... The Maryland 400 
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Patent guy

Another possibility:

The National Anthem's lyrics were written by a Marylander watching the Brits shell Ft. McHenry in Baltimore Harbor.

So, how about:

The Star Spangled Banner still waves here, Hon.

brickhouse

OH pooh.... BeSwift has to step in an be an adult.   ~~:)   

I had never heard of the Maryland 500 before. You know August 27 falls on a Saturday this year. This year would be the 235th Anniversary and there is nothing on the schedule (yet).

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Patent guy

So what say, folks?

Let's pick one.

brickhouse

I prefer the whimsical:
QuoteGrab your rifle, Hon, let's get to an Appleseed!

I have the rest of my life to be an adult.

BeSwift

Not sure if it will count as a state tag line, but I've ordered a special patch for those instructors who work at least 3 shoots in Maryland over a 12 month period... I'll keep it a mystery until the presentation 8)...They should be in by the April Anappleseed...
BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

vernic82

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

Patent guy

Quote from: vernic82 on March 23, 2011, 09:58:37 PM
Blieve
I've seen a local bumper sticker reading:  "B'lieve, Hon" which cracked me up.
I wonder if that's a little too much of an insider's joke...you know, for folks from `round Bal'mer'  ::)

sashok.privetov

Quote from: Patent guy on March 28, 2011, 06:36:43 PM
I've seen a local bumper sticker reading:  "B'lieve, Hon" which cracked me up.
I wonder if that's a little too much of an insider's joke...you know, for folks from `round Bal'mer'  ::)

Yea, I'm not from 'round here...  I need explanation...    #)

vernic82

Quote from: sashok.privetov on March 28, 2011, 07:38:32 PM
Yea, I'm not from 'round here...  I need explanation...    #)

Though I'm not from the "Balmer-DC" area, I did reside there for 6 years - if you hear someone say, "B'lieve, Hon" this is the foremost way to ID a LIP.
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

sashok.privetov

Patent guy

Cooper

Went to the link, still have no idea what the blessed acronyms stand for, although I now understand that Baltimore folk stand for a whole lotta dumb fashion nonsense in their print media.

Pray for the rescue of the Baltese from themselves!!   Looks like too much exposure to the lunacy within the Beltway has caused serious damage to their cognitive functions.  Kinda makes me embarrassed to have "MD" behind my name, Hon.

Coop

Quote from: Patent guy on March 29, 2011, 10:16:56 PM
Quote from: sashok.privetov on March 29, 2011, 08:14:41 PM
Quote from: vernic82 on March 29, 2011, 11:28:51 AM
ID a LIP.

anyone got a dictionary!?  quit talking in code, man!

http://www.examiner.com/diy-fashion-in-baltimore/embrace-your-inner-baltimore-hon-and-get-chic-for-spring?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

brickhouse

I went to the link too. By just looking at the pics I thought it was about some new John Waters movie.   ;D    (Yes, I know. You don't need to tell me. )

"Grab your rifle, Hon! Let's get to an Appleseed."

BeSwift

Courtesy of Wikipedia..(with my commentary at the end)

Hons

Although nowadays the city is extremely culturally diverse, the lasting image of Baltimoreans seems to be the "Hon" culture exemplified most markedly by the longer established families and residents of the Highlandtown, Canton, Locust Point, Hampden and Pigtown neighborhoods. Between the 1950s and 1970s, it was common to see working class local women dressing in bright, printed dresses with out-dated glasses and beehive hairdos. Men were often dressed casually, but with a general factory or dock worker look, as many in town did indeed have such jobs.

The name of the culture comes from the often parodied Baltimore accent and slang. "Hon" (pronounced /ˈhʌn/,[dubious - discuss] an abbreviation of "Honey") was a common informal name for someone else. Baltimore's accent exemplifies a dialectal continuum between Tidewater American English, a southern American dialect, and Delaware Valley American English, a common coastal dialect, loosely possessing the vowel shifts of the former and general pronunciation of the latter. For instance, "Baltimore" is pronounced "Baldimore" or even "Balmer," and "Maryland" becomes "Murland," "Murlan," or "Merlin." Other common pronunciations include "ool," "amblance," "wooder," "warsh," "sharr or shaow," "dug," "couwny," "tew," and "zinc" (oil, ambulance, water, wash, shower, dog, county, two, and sink respectively). There is also a popular summertime phrase, "goin' downy ayshin" (going down to the ocean, usually referring to Ocean City, MD)

Baltimore native and filmmaker John Waters has parodied the Hon culture, as well as Baltimore itself, extensively in his movies. For a somewhat accurate representation of Baltimorese, one can look to Waters' narration spots in his 1972 movie Pink Flamingos. Waters himself used a local commercial for Mr Ray's Hair Weaves as his main inspiration. The commercial was famous around town for Mr. Ray's extreme Baltimore accent. "Cawl todaey, for your freee hame showink..." was the most memorable line from that commercial, translating as "Call today, for your free home showing..."

Believe (B'leive)  was a city slogan that was posted on everything that didn't move, several years back. The city paid 750k to some marketing wizards to come up with that one...(our tax dollars at work).. Most original Baltimorons (as I affectionately refer to them :cool2:) have moved out of the city, hence it's new cultural nickname...Bodymore, Murderland...  If you've ever seen the HBO show, The Wire, that is a absolutely accurate depiction of about 75% of Baltimore... hence my search for a better historical state motto that isn't necessary Baltimore specific... !@#)

The Hon thing is fun, but unless we're going to incorporate a John Waters version of Glee during the history portion, I don't know if it's particularly relevant...  ;D
BeSwift

Ralph Waldo Emerson

sashok.privetov

Thanks, Brian!

Quote from: Cooper on March 29, 2011, 11:27:13 PM
Went to the link, still have no idea what the blessed acronyms stand for

OK, I'm not the only one...

Quote from: brickhouse on March 30, 2011, 07:54:48 AM
I went to the link too. By just looking at the pics I thought it was about some new John Waters movie.   ;D     
Or Hairspray.

So, what is a "LIP"?

Patent guy

I'm not sure about the LIP reference, but the lipstick-related observations ring true for me, because I've seen some "Hons" with wild lipstick colors.

In any event, I believe the purpose is to select a tagline which will make Marylanders feel included and welcome, and hopefully motivate folks to attend/participate/organize more Appleseeds.

The tagline should not include a reference which is so obscure that non-Marylanders or new-Marylanders are alienated or have questions about communicating in code.

If "Hon" is not a term we want, should we return to something from MD's history relating to the Maryland "Old-Line" 400 or to Fort McHenry and the Star Spangled Banner?

vernic82

LIP or more accurately, L.I.P. = Local Indigenous Personnel

This name could be used anywhere.....

Brian is spot on with his Baltimorons descriptions, it's an interesting place to be sure ::)

And oh yeah, don't venture too far from the Inner Harbor, though Fell's Point & Federal Hill arn't too bad.  Good bars and nice Italian food **)

I grew up in NYC but I'll tell you B'more is the only city I've seen an actual shootout between Cops and Robbers (or at least bad guys) as they drove drown a city street firing at each other #)
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

ItsGarand

One of the things that kept perpetuating "Hon" to forefront of discussion was the sign that proclaimed "Welcome to Baltimore" as one enters the city limits on US295.  For years some one in the dark of night would spray paint the word "Hon" on that sign.  The local news would cover it often....  So "Welcome to Ballmer - Hon!"

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" - Thomas Paine