News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Hartford CT Mar 12-13 2011

Started by The Log, March 13, 2011, 11:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Log

So the debate about "big AS, small AS" rages on - which is better? Sad to say, it's still an open question. Or maybe the answer is, "yes." We only had two shooters the first day, and two the second, but one had to peel off midday, so we were down to one shooter and five instructors at that point. CortJestir decided to jump back over the line and become a shooter for both days, in part to fill out the line, but also to get a shooter's-eye view of the proceedings, and that proved valuable to all of us, providing valuable insight into what works and what doesn't, as well as giving him a nice trip down memory lane to a time when he actually had time to shoot.

So while the turnout was disappointing, we still managed to do lot of instructor development, both on the line (taking turns shooting) and behind the lines by working on our teaching skills. Huge thumbs up to Jay Haich and Glock23 for double teaming our lone Sunday shooter and getting her form shotgun patterns to tight groups and finally to a high of 205 before fatigue and the wind got her to the point of diminishing returns. Her motivation never flagged, though, and we'll drag her over the line before long. Another big thumbs up (and proud daddy moment) to Who_Me for her excellent first attempt at History with her rendition of DOM on Sunday, competing as we usually do at Hartford against artillery practice on the adjacent rifle range - who knew you could bump-fire a howitzer?

But now my eyes grow bleary, and the kiddies need to hit the sack as much or more than I do. Pictures soon, but for now, someone else chip in. And as always, thanks to the outstanding CT crew (and shooters) for making my job so dang easy.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

CortJestir

QuoteAnother big thumbs up (and proud daddy moment) to Who_Me for her excellent first attempt at History with her rendition of DOM on Sunday, competing as we usually do at Hartford against artillery practice on the adjacent rifle range - who knew you could bump-fire a howitzer?

I'll have more tomorrow 'cuz I'm about to hit the hay.

Just wanted to say that if Liz isn't the very definition of what Appleseed is about, I don't know what is.
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

The Log

Who_Me?

Quote from: CortJestir on March 14, 2011, 12:04:59 AM
QuoteAnother big thumbs up (and proud daddy moment) to Who_Me for her excellent first attempt at History with her rendition of DOM on Sunday, competing as we usually do at Hartford against artillery practice on the adjacent rifle range - who knew you could bump-fire a howitzer?

I'll have more tomorrow 'cuz I'm about to hit the hay.

Just wanted to say that if Liz isn't the very definition of what Appleseed is about, I don't know what is.

;D Thanks Todd! it really means a lot to me!
"Heritage is history you care about" - Fred

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Who_Me?

All right everyone, I have some pictures! Not to many mind you because it's a bit hard to take pictures when one of your shooters is camera shy.

Glock23 and Who_Me? explaining the SHF of prone

Glock23 Working with Joe, our designated video gamer (he wanted to shoot some zombies)

Talking targets on the first day

JH Calling the line on the second day

Sorry Ti, but we need photographic evidence that you were there. Remember... Pictures, or it didn't happen!

Look at that group! From shot gun patterns to this is amazing! Way to go Ti!

Who_Me? giving an apparently very good DOM and DOW

How many instructors does it take to clean a rifle? Well, it depends on whether or not said rifle has been cleaned by a certain Fred Vernic...

The Log showing off the latest Appleseed fashion

Ti coming closer and closer....

The last AQT of the day... another awesome Appleseed over and through...
"Heritage is history you care about" - Fred

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

CortJestir

Well, this was a shoot to remember. This was the most fun and rewarding experience I've had to date at an Appleseed, including both my experiences as student and instructor. I can't decide what the highlight was: seeing my good friend Ti make a breakthrough and shoot a high of 205? Getting my personal best on irons despite my vision? Seeing Dave and James put all their passion, energy, care, and time into a willing and enthusiastic student? Witnessing Liz tell the stories of Dangerous Old(er) Men and Women with the respect it deserves? It's like deciding which kid you love best.  :D It was all awesome.

At times I felt like this was CortJestir's Personal Appleseed and my two friends and I hired this highly-rated instructor crew to personally teach us all to shoot and regale us with stories from a more civilized age.

Thanks guys (and gal!). You made me even more proud to be part of such a great team here. Is someone cutting onions near me? Jeez...

Anyway, I wanted to share a note from Ti (who is not registered on the forum yet). I think she expresses exactly how I feel:

Dear Todd,

I just wanted to thank you for everything you and your top calibre (non pun intended) instructors did for us this weekend.   As you know, I've been to several Appleseed clinics, but this weekend I overcame a significant learning curve.  However, I'm acutely aware that it would not have happened if it were not for your instructors' infinite patience. 

I especially appreciate all the help from Liz for showing me how to use a sling (!), recommendations on improving technique and for scoring my sheets; to Dave for coaching me during/before/after the shoots, and for giving cookies to this biscuit fiend;  and James for sharing his Rooibos tea, coaching me during/before/after shoots and for letting me borrow his rifle. I hope it has recovered from the trauma I inflicted on it today. 

I'll never forget the kindness, generosity and warmth that was shown to me today.  You and your instructors are consistently great. 

See you soon.

-Ti

You will see Ti and Pete at Colebrook this April. And I'll bet dollars to donuts that Ti breaks the 210 barrier. Stay tuned, folks...

The Log

Quote of the Shoot:

"Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I could shoot a group like this!" - Ti, after putting a 3-4 MOA group downrange

The thing I took away from this shoot is that our dictum, "A Rifleman Persists," works both ways. Not only does it apply to those striving to be Rifleman, like Ti and Pete, but it also applies once you become a Rifleman, like Jay Haich and Glock23. Those two persisted all Sunday afternoon with Ti, getting her up to that painfully close 205 before she just flat ran out of gas. And CJ persisted in his quest for a Rifleman's score with iron sights, getting his groups much tighter than they've ever been and brushing the 200 point level.

There was a lot to learn from that shoot, and as dicey as it looked a week ago, I'm really glad it came off the way it did. Now I'm all jazzed up for Colebrook, and if I thought I could get away with it, I'd sneak out to Lebanon in two weeks for a quick fix of that good Appleseed special sauce to hold me over until April.

</log>

fprintf

Glad to see Ti back out there and persisting!  Not that it is a race toward 210 but Ti is soooo close. And what an improvement from the last time I saw her at Hartford. Nice work everyone.  Such a shame I missed it, dang all this water damage.

CJ, does it remind you of why you joined this program in the first place?  Glock23 and JH, you are both excellent instructors... patient, persistent and correct. Glock23, you are doing history in Colebrook next month, right?   ~~:)
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

CortJestir

QuoteCJ, does it remind you of why you joined this program in the first place?

That would be the understatement of the year. I feel like volunteering. Oh wait...