News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed Sessions in Maine

Started by Uncle Jaque, March 13, 2011, 03:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Jaque

I'm the "Scribe" for the Monmouth Fish & Game Association and we might be interested in hosting an appleseed event here.  I know some Members have mentioned it in the past.

We are located on US Rt. 202 about half way between Augusta and Lewiston.  Our covered pistol line has a 50 yard range with room for about 15 shooters on the line, and the adjoining Rifle Range has room for 6 positions and 100 yard range.

Our heated and handicapped accessible clubhouse has meeting space for at least 50, a full kitchen and two accessible rest rooms.  We have an active Trap and Archery range, and a stocked fishing pond on our property.

11 of us were recently certified as NRA Range Safety Officers and another course is scheduled to be held at our club in the near future. 

Check my facebook club page at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Monmouth-Fish-Game-Association/126271207445800

If interested, perhaps an appleseed rep could come to one of our meetings (second Tuesday of every Month) and give a presentation of what the program is about so the Membership can consider having an event here.   I for one would be in favor of it, but we do have a few Members who are pretty skittish about "politics" and have turned down requests for Tea Party meetings at the club.  Might at least be worth a try, eh?

hawkhavn

Uncle Jaque,

One of our Northeastern members will be along shortly to discuss getting a shoot at your club.

However, there is no need for anyone to be concerned about 'politics' at an Appleseed shoot.  Modern politics will not be discussed. Period.

Just our shared heritage.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

TOMINCT

Dittos on what hawkhavn said regarding politics. The only people we talk about at an Appleseed have passed on for the better part of 200 years.
I'm in the process of sending out an information packet to 25 clubs in Maine that have the facilities to host an Appleseed. I'll make sure that one get sent your way. I'll send additional info or have one of the instructors in Maine provide more if you like. If you can supply some contact info I'll see that one of the guys gets it asap.
There is an Appleseed on in Columbia at the PRFGCA on April 16-17. The club president, Boreas on the forum, can give you some ideas from the club perspective.  Perhaps you or a club member stop in during the event and take in part of it or better yet sign up to shoot one or 2 days of it. There is still room I believe. Regards, Tom.

Quote from: hawkhavn on March 13, 2011, 09:51:25 AM
Uncle Jaque,

One of our Northeastern members will be along shortly to discuss getting a shoot at your club.

However, there is no need for anyone to be concerned about 'politics' at an Appleseed shoot.  Modern politics will not be discussed. Period.

Just our shared heritage.

HH
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

The Old Guide

I know "Uncle Jaque". I'll call him and might be able to attend the meeting Tuesday.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

crak

Check your drama at the door.

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

TOMINCT

Okay folks, there has been an inundation of paperwork flowing through the postal system, destination Maine. The Monmouth club along with 24 others are getting something to review, discuss and hopefully reply to SeanO, The Old Guide, Boreas or myself. I'll be heading up there for the April shoot and it would be great if we could have a few folks show up or make arrangements for a Q&A while I'm there. I'd be happy to help in any way, shape or form. PM me through here or contact any of the above mentioned folks for help. That's all it will take.

Although the list is probably not complete it's a decent start covering the state from the NH border along I95 up to Fort Kent, IIRC.That's a lot of Maine so if you have an interest now is the time to act! If 1/3 of the clubs sign up no one would have to drive more than 2 hours to a shoot, for the most part. Hope some of you make it.
Ramseur 2-12!

Boreas

PRF&G in Columbia is willing to give Appleseed a free table at the Downeast Gunshow, Father's Day weekend, in Machias, Maine.

Knuck

Hi - I sit next the Unk once in a while at MFG meetings & we bump into each other on the range now and then. I think the club will be interested in the Appleseed project, and I think the reminder of our American heritage will be welcome. We are looking forward to learning more, especially the logistics of hosting an Appleseed.

The Old Guide

I'll be at your May meeting. Looking forward to it.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

The Old Guide

The presentation went well. It is a good club with excellent facilities. I left them two copies of the DAR forms. The range itself is handicap accessible. They are interested in feeding us. ;-)

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

Knuck

We'll discuss the Appleseed in the range committee meeting and hopefully make a recommendation to the club to host a weekend.

edward

Count me in.  I am registering for Berwick, but prefer Monmouth.  Was Capitol City considered?

TOMINCT

I hope to catch up with some folks in Maine that are interested in AS this week. I'll be downeast for a couple days and then traveling west towards Carrabasset valley.
If you'd like to meet up at Monmouth let me know here and I'll do my best to get there, sometime midweek.
If you were thinking of running with the shoot at N.Berwick I'd say go for it as it takes some time to get a new venue up, like Monmouth. Once everything is a go it usually is a couple months to arrange IT's, advertising, etc.
Ramseur 2-12!

edward

I will register for Berwick, but am still interested in Monmouth.  I have room for one large passenger, and one small passenger if you want to go down with me from Waterville.  I will try to bunk with a friend in Kennebunk, (no pun intended) but will consider camping near the range if that does not work out.  I recommend arriving on Friday since the RO really wants to start range rules at 8:30a sharp.  I am looking to buy or borrow a 22 semi with scope, maybe two.  I ordered GI slings from AS if anyone does not have.  These are the same ones that are used in the training.  Also have some AQT targets if anyone wants to get a head start with me.  Do yourself a favor.  If you have been putting this off, register now.  Applseed rocks.

The Old Guide

I wandered off the Appleseed trail for a couple of months to perform a rescue mission. Mission accomplished. North Country Lady has signed us up for Columbia and North Berwick both. We're baaack.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

sandanbob

delegateed, I contacted Capitol City several years ago, and the president at that time had no interest.  I don't know if he is still there or not.

I am just north of Waterville, myself.

Nickle

Quote from: sandanbob on July 14, 2011, 09:45:10 PM
delegateed, I contacted Capitol City several years ago, and the president at that time had no interest.  I don't know if he is still there or not.

I am just north of Waterville, myself.

I used to know some of the folks at Capial City, even shot there before. My father knows them much more than I do, and the name alone might perk up some ears. Anybody that wants to try again, you might want to mention some of this, and maybe shoot me a PM here with the info on who the club officers are. If any of the old Bench Rest guys are in office, we might get a better shot at it.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

TOMINCT

This is good news! I've a friend who has become a member of Capitol city GC just recently. He mentioned it to a board member who showed some interest.
Also, The Old Guide has a couple people to talk to at Monmouth.
At this point keep your fingers crossed. And stay posted!
Ramseur 2-12!

sandanbob

It was actually September of 2007, and Mark Lake was the name of the man I contacted. 

edward

I posted the flyer for N. Berwick at Capitol City and talked with some members who have already participated.   Will bring it up again at Friday BBQ at club.  Be my guest at 5pm.  Post here if you want or PM.    :~

I bought a Savage 64 G with scope and wood stock.  Have extra GI slings $15 (does not include swivel). 

I packed the tent and camping gear in the truck, and am open to suggestion on lodging or sharing.  Still have room for passengers and the AC works fine.   

sandanbob

Thanks for the invitation, but my family is going camping this weekend, so I won't be available for the cookout, or for the Appleseed.

Let us know how the meeting goes, please.

TOMINCT

I'll send notice of it to the Maine crew, some may be able to make it.

BTW the N.Berwick AS is on August 6-7, not this weekend. And Columbia is on July 30-31.
Ramseur 2-12!

sandanbob

Thanks for the clarifcation.  I had looked at the dates last week.

TOMINCT

This is an old thread but what better than a shoot to bring it to life!

Monmouth is hosting an Appleseed on June 9-10, 2012. As mentioned before by The Old Guide it's a nice facility with handicap access. Space for 25 shooters and with a chance of 100 yards on Sunday afternoon. Easy to get to, the club will have lunch both days plus a possible Sat evening dinner, TBD.

So, plan to sign up if taking a shoot in near the Maine coast is your plan. Especially before the humidity hits!
Ramseur 2-12!

edward

Monmouth has campsites but does not publish details.  I am thinking of pitching my tent on Thursday to get settled in before the shoot.  Do they have a shower?

Uncle Jaque

If it rains you get a shower, or if we get the hole plugged in our quarter acre fish pond you could go skinny dipping after it gets dark.  Careful though; the bass might bite.

We have a good sized trap range which doubles as a camp ground when we host the Cub Scouts, and will have two porta potties on site for the shoot - a handicap accessible one for the camp area and a regular one near the range, plus two HCA bathrooms in the club house which will be open both days and as late into the evening as Member Volunteers want to hang in there.   We have room for 75+ people in the club house and a working DVD player for socializing etc. after shooting or between relays.
We could probably park about 5 RVs or good sized trailers in the parking lot, as long as they are self contained.  We don't have any hook ups out there.

We have sufficient volunteer KPs to run the kitchen both days and supply hot dogs, hamburgers and that sort of thing.  We might be able to do a breakfast or two if there is enough interest.
We have a Down East bean hole under ground oven on the grounds and used to host a bean hole bean supper a couple of times a Summer, but have gotten out of the habit the past year or so.  I'm trying to wheedle the fellas into firing it up one more time for the AS shoot.  It is pretty labor intensive & supplies are getting expensive, but they used to be popular and a lot of fun - not to mention wikkid tasty!

If I can gin up enough interest I'll forgo shooting and help out with the beans, KP, setup etc. as I really want this to be a top notch event both for AS and our club for our first AS, and hopefully get in the habit of it!

We have been handing out brochures, hanging up posters, and there seems to be a lot of interest in the area.  I don't think you'll have any trouble filling out the line.

TOMINCT

So there you have it, right from the man! This is going to be great!

Sooo, besides the Appleseed there's camping at the range, another plus. Get to mix with the other AS attendees, eat well and not have to worry about traveling far if you stay overnight+++!

Quote from: Uncle Jaque on April 28, 2012, 02:06:52 AM
If it rains you get a shower, or if we get the hole plugged in our quarter acre fish pond you could go skinny dipping after it gets dark.  Careful though; the bass might bite.

We have a good sized trap range which doubles as a camp ground when we host the Cub Scouts, and will have two porta potties on site for the shoot - a handicap accessible one for the camp area and a regular one near the range, plus two HCA bathrooms in the club house which will be open both days and as late into the evening as Member Volunteers want to hang in there.   We have room for 75+ people in the club house and a working DVD player for socializing etc. after shooting or between relays.
We could probably park about 5 RVs or good sized trailers in the parking lot, as long as they are self contained.  We don't have any hook ups out there.

We have sufficient volunteer KPs to run the kitchen both days and supply hot dogs, hamburgers and that sort of thing.  We might be able to do a breakfast or two if there is enough interest.
We have a Down East bean hole under ground oven on the grounds and used to host a bean hole bean supper a couple of times a Summer, but have gotten out of the habit the past year or so.  I'm trying to wheedle the fellas into firing it up one more time for the AS shoot.  It is pretty labor intensive & supplies are getting expensive, but they used to be popular and a lot of fun - not to mention wikkid tasty!

If I can gin up enough interest I'll forgo shooting and help out with the beans, KP, setup etc. as I really want this to be a top notch event both for AS and our club for our first AS, and hopefully get in the habit of it!

We have been handing out brochures, hanging up posters, and there seems to be a lot of interest in the area.  I don't think you'll have any trouble filling out the line.
Ramseur 2-12!

The Old Guide

Now to fill the lines. Monmouth is a rural town, but it's just about at the center of Maine's population. It's easy to find and close to many potential shooters. I'm promoting it. In fact I'm speaking about Appleseed to 31 home school families this week. I'll promote Monmouth there.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

Uncle Jaque

Jiffy keen, OG!

I think that AS ought to be considered standard curriculum for home schoolers.  If we ever get our Country back, it can be part of all American Student's education!

I've put brochures out and another poster at Tri State Police & Fire in Winthrop.

Have any registrations come in yet?   We're already working to get the grounds cleaned & spruced up for the Summer.