News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Currahee Appleseed 29/30 Mar 08

Started by Son of Martha, March 30, 2008, 11:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Son of Martha

Or maybe I should title it "BYOB" (Bring your own boat)  :P

Great start to the weekend with Instructors VAshooter, Silence, Mighty Mouse, SNAITF, and Talon, along with IITs Tracer Fire, and Flathead pouring in Friday afternoon (And Dinky Dao arriving next morning) to set up the target lines and usher in the folks coming to camp.  I had to work until late afternoon, and when I arrived things were humming along so nicely that I wasn't needed--Good!  It's such a pleasure working with dedicated, competent folks...

Camping was great--and a good way to save substantial coin.  Campfire talk ran late into the night (doesn't it always?), then to bed with visions of whacking some evil black squares in the morning.  Check in was smooth with Talon on admin, good history story by MM, then to business.  With 37 shooters we filled all of the pistol pits and most of the 40 yard range.  We were cooking along on the Currahee COF, ticking off the steps to build a good foundation for hammering out riflemen on the anvil of the AQT when a monsoon straight from the Plain of Jars brought a screeching halt to progress.  I don't mind the rain, my skin is waterproof  ;), but the lightning is something else again.  While attendees and staff dove for cover in the clubhouse basement and covered firing line, some commie weather controller did his level best to wipe the range off the map.  Once the storm front (and the lightning) passed, one young lady wanted to keep shooting (guess her skin is waterproof also).  So, being the dedicated and somewhat dense fellow I am, we proceeded to brave the torrent to square away some issues with her sights while DD had an instructional period under the covered range.  (I hope someone got pictures of all this...)  The young lady in the rain (and her long-suffering and soggy young fellow) on the line during the downpour, learning to step into the bubble and ignore the environment was quite an inspiration to me (as well as being downright funny...now).

Once the rain slacked off a bit, we broke for chili served up by Flathead and his family.  By the time we returned to the line the pistol pits were in fine shape, showing all of the attendees lucky enough to be posted to them just what happens to the glorious Georgia red clay when you add water--instant red goo.  This provided a perfect training opportunity, as the Appleseeders got a thorough equipment test (rifle, mags, ammo packaging, raingear, boots and headgear) and an excellent practice time on stepping into the bubble.  We continued on until mid-afternoon, when the constant rain raised concern about the trafficability of the access road (steep hill, dirt road, red clay).  After Talon checked it out and radioed a warning to me we took a break and warned attendees who HAD to leave that evening of the situation, and that they needed to look it over and make a decision.  A few elected to call it a day at that point, but all of those camping and some who were confident about getting out stayed on for the rest of the day.

Day two was a nail biter for me, but the rain held off with just a few sprinkles in the morning. To my surprise and delight, 27 hardy souls returned to finish the weekend with us.  A quick chalk talk on trajectory, comeups, BSZ, wind effects and effective range later and we started the AQT grind  ;D.  While SNAITF and Flathead set up the full distance range, the shooters got to fire AQT after AQT, with staff coaching, chiding, chivving and sometimes (gently) castigating them into remembering and applying the Six Steps, proper position mechanics and NPOA.  After firing a rifleman score shooters were sent to the full distance range for a quick transition zero check and then into our (mostly) full distance AQT.  The rest of the day was spent in the grind, with one break in the action to execute the NPOA diagnostic drill.  By the end of the day I had a bunch of tired, dirty, smiling shooters and 4 rifleman patches to award.  Congratulations to Rob, Marc, Jon and Matthew on joining a select group of Americans.

This shoot was an event that provided the staff and the shooters a chance to really display some of the qualities that make riflemen--the perseverance and willingness to stick to the task at hand, even in less than optimum conditions--and display it they did.  I really appreciate the dedication of the shooters who made this event a success when it would have been easier to quit, and the cheerfulness and wry humor that made what could have been drudgery, fun.  The Instructors and IITs showed their depth of character as well, with no complaints and a can-do attitude (Did I mention how much of a pleasure it is working with dedicated people?)  Many CMP forms were handed out  :), and many Appleseeds were planted.

Don't forget, if you missed this one (or even if you didn't), we are having another at the same range on APRIL 19th !  VAshooter assures us that he has sunshine and good conditions on order for it  ;).

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

Flathead

Where to start!!  I got to the range about 1:00 pm to find SoM getting camp site ready on his lunch break in the campimg area, I unloaded the fire wood and chatted with him about what needed to made ready. Rusty, SNAITF, and Rob showed up with Talon following close behind.  After seeting up the rnage for Saturday the instructors and guests that arrived early got some range time on steel pigs at 100 and 200 yards. that was a great time other than Rusty showing great skill at off hand with no sling on a sportirized eddystone!!
Saturday last minute details of seeting up the and singing the appleseeders in SoM and Mighty Mouse doing the history, talk MM did such a good job of leaving them hanging on what happened next on April 19th ,1775 that I still want to hear the story the way he tells it and I even know what did happen!!!
Got to work with Silence on range one until the heavy rain and lighting started, the wake up call was the strike in close!!
After the bad weather stopped it was time to teach again, working with SoM, SNAITF, And Dinky Dao on the shot gun range it was amazing the grit these great americans showed! Getting in the prone position time and time again in the water and mud to learn how to fire a rifle accurately, it makes you feel good and that there still is a chance to save this nation. On the left end on the firing line where I was working we had SNAITF's friend, Mathew andanother shooter who I missed his name, Left Eye Holly and her Boyfriend. They were doing quite well for 2 borrowed rifle being in the bunch the ar"s run flawlessly with wolf and silver bear the silver bear even scoring a rifle man score on sunday.
This shoot was a severe test on equipment and humans alike and hopefully showed people what they need to do with their"s.
Sunday the know distance rnage was an eye opener for a couple students as well as me, Rob shot a 201 with his M1A with wolf ammo keeping a 3 moa group size on everything other than standing!  We had a reduced scale 100 yard target posted in the corner of the full size D target posted at 200 yards and in the sighting stage of kd he put one round in the V ring!!! My hats off to you.
I got to work with Mathew and his ar on the next round of KD, and he done very well other than the 400 yard target portion but still kept his hits in a 6 moa group and just his first apple seed!
For those that missed it there will be another in 3 weeks and for those that made it thank you!

Van_Deutch

Well, after deciding to head out 1.5 hours after the storms, I feel like a real wuss. Next time, I bring the rain gear and not listen to the weather man. Thanks for the hospitality and the kindness from Mighty Mouse and Flathead. Everyone there was very kind. Looking forward to bringing a friend next time or the wife. Looking forward to a shoot, possibly dry. :D I figure, if I wanted to play in the mud, I could have done that in my back yard with my dogs. I will continue to send people this way for some quality training. It looks as if I will not be back until the end of the year as our first baby is due in a few weeks.
Enjoy the Molon Labe stickers.

A few things for everyone that is looking to attend to remember...

1. Bring rain gear-meaning prepare to get wet.
2. Bring a good ground pad.
3. Bring some elbow and knee pads. (especially if those old wounds from sports from the past are catching up to you)
4. Pay attention.

CATT

To one and all of the those who attended and braved out the "frog strangler",
Great job to all instructors for the excellent job you did in keeping things going smoothly when faced with adverse weather conditions[yes I think taking a break while lightning is striking all around was a good idea}To those of us who spent time in the "mud bowl" camping out,thanks for the interesting topics of discussion and the time spent around the fire.Yes you can build a big enough fire with enough pallets to have to stand wayyyyy back.WECSOG great job on the range with your RIFLEMAN score even though I blasted your target as well as mine,my friend you shot well enough without my help[small chuckle]Silence/Tracerfire thank you for help and dedication to the Appleseed program.It was a pleasure to see Izzy [pigpen]shooting the heck out of the targets I sometimes think I get more of a thrill out of it than you.Glad you were able to shoot a "real MBR"on that last string of fire.I will end for now with one more thank you to all who helped to make this not just another weekend. 

CATT out

Son of Martha

BTW, if anyone has some pictures of the event (forgot my camera  >:() please post them.

Building an Ark in Toccoa...

SoM

MIGHTY MOUSE

God grants LIBERTY only to those who LOVE it and are ALWAYS ready to GUARD and DEFEND it.
-Daniel Webster

Flathead

I will post some also, the is a good one of SoM in his garbage bag!

cannonman61

Now THAT I have to see!   ;D ;D ;D

Post away!
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

rocinante

I (Neal) was there with my son (Blake) and my good friend Bill and a good time was had by all. I can't lay claim to the title of rifleman (yet) but it certainly wasn't because the staff did not try. I have nothing but praise for the fine people who ran the event. Excellent experience and I am sure I will be back if not for April 19th definitely in the fall.

THANK YOU.

socalserf

Howdy rocinate!
Now that you have the knowledge its just a matter of practice. Welcome!
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: Son of Martha on April 02, 2008, 12:02:31 PM
BTW, if anyone has some pictures of the event (forgot my camera  >:() please post them.

Building an Ark in Toccoa...

SoM

Here one for starters...

SoM & Silence press on with Abercrombie & Fitch designer rifleman rainwear.   ;D

More pics soon.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

More pics, as promised...

Friday:

Instructors and a couple of Appleseeders get it some pre-Appleseed range time at full distance:

Steel zombie pigs (magnified)

Steel zombie pigs

Appleseeder prior to receiving AS instruction on prone position

Much better prone position here

Saturday:

Frog strangler thunderstorm - look at the size of the drops!

Wet 40 yd range

Wet even under cover

Sunday:

Full distance range targets (magnified)

Full distance shooter #1

Full distance shooter #1

Full distance shooter #2

Full distance shooter #3

I really, really enjoyed working with this group of instructors and students. I look forward to any future opportunity I have to work with them again. Everyone made me feel welcome. I also thank those that loaned me rifles and ammo for some Toccoa trigger time  :D - you know who you are!

I was especially thrilled to get one of my best friends to attend as an AS shooter. Now I need to twist his arm to become an instructor... 8)
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Son of Martha

I guess that Fred and the Appleseed crew might know what they're doing....that six steps thing seems to work...

Ballistics!  It's not just for high school physics anymore!

SoM

Flathead

One thing I forgot to mentionthat Mathew on the full distance range and his NPOA drill that he did before firing the first shot and then after a few shoots to recheck to make sure he was still on. When I asked him about it he didn't really recall doing it, it had become part of firing the shot! If he had been able to make sighter shots on the simulated 400 yard target along with the other shooter that was on the range with him I am sure that they both would have fired rifleman score on that range. By the way did everyone read the post by boltgun 71? He is active duty 11B  (infantry for those who are MOS challeneged), and wrote a nice review about his trip to the muddy ranges at Toccoa and even brought his wife along to shoot!
We need more active duty personnel to realize the potential offered to them AT NO COST!!!! Other than a week end at the range with a bunch of great Americans.