News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

West Springfield Gun & Militaria Show March 12 & 13 planning thread

Started by dwarven1, February 10, 2011, 10:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarven1

All right! The last shoot at Harvard had ZERO attendees. We're not going to save the country that way, so as Riflemen, we will persist... and try another tack. We're going to hit a few gun shows and try to raise awareness of Project Appleseed that way.

We will have a table at the West Springfield Gun & Militaria Show on March 12 & 13 from 9AM to 5PM on Saturday and and 9AM to 3PM on Sunday. It will be held at the EASTERN STATES EXPOSITION, 1305 Memorial Avenue, West Springfield, MA.

Here is the web page with info: http://users.erols.com/fasttrack/loc/w-spr/W-SPRINGFIELD.htm and here is the flyer: http://users.erols.com/fasttrack/loc/w-spr/SPRINGFIELD-FLYER-MARCH-11.pdf

Now... we need VOLUNTEERS to staff the table. You'll probably be on your feet most of the time and you will (I hope) be talking to a LOT of folks about Appleseed - bring your "A" game. Think of this as a target-rich environment for seventh-stepping. (Did I throw enough cliches into this paragraph to get your attention?) We shouldn't need too many - I'm thinking probably 3 at a time. Crak (as our new Northeast Regional Coordinator) has already volunteered to be there all weekend. I'm going to be shooting to be there on Saturday for at least the morning as well.

We're still planning on what to have at the table - suggestions are always welcome. There's a short thread in the North Dakota forum showing what one of their folks did for a table. If you can see it, here it is: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18920.0

So... feel free to chime in and volunteer. Figure on 4 hour shifts.

BTW... I'm thinking to have, at least, an M1, one or two LTRs, Dillon & SWAT reprints (Hmm... did we ever have reprints done of the Masaad Ayoob article in Backwoods Home?), T-shirts, handouts for all the New England states, but particularly MA, VT, NY and CT given the location, perhaps some chamber flags for giveaways. If we can get power, a PC running some sort of slide show would be nice, too.

Suggestions are welcome - I'm new at this and making this up as I go.

Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

dwarven1

Seriously? Thirty seven views and NOT ONE RESPONSE???

What - are you all still on the couch watching Top Shot reruns? I got TWO people PMing me to volunteer!

Where is everyone?
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

TOMINCT

We'll be there one full day, TBD. It looks like the layout you have is pretty sound. I would set up a table ahead of time to see how much space you don't have. Then go from there. If you can set up a way of mounting the AS banner over the table people will see ity from a couple tables away. The M1 will draw them in, a lot of folks will want to buy it! Have a lot of handouts. Have some shirts for sale. And be ready to be on your feet a lot. I'll pm some folks. See you then, Tom.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

AmericaStandsStrong

I would be willing to work the 12th. What is the event some kind of gun show or what? If you are looking for one or two LTRs maybe I could bring my marlin 795 and someone could bring a 1022 to show what the two most common are.

AmericaStandsStrong

dwarven1

Quote from: AmericaStandsStrong on February 25, 2011, 04:40:17 PM
Also,why does the flyer say 12 and 13?

'Cause I'm an idiot.  #) I'll be changing the topic now...

Got a few volunteers already by PM - anyone else want to get in on the fun? This is the Springfield Gun & Knife show, BTW. It'd be nice to have an extra person or two so that folks can take a little personal time to look at the guns if they want and we still have enough folks at the table.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

dwarven1

The table comes with two vendor badges. Some folks will have to pay to get in. :-( We can hand off the badges on shift change, so if you'll all PM me your cell phone numbers I'll distribute them as contact info to the crew so we can call as we arrive to have the badged helpers come out and meet us and hand off the badges. I think.

As for scheduling... I was thinking of doing two shifts each day so no one is working a full day. Tom, if you want to work a full day I'm going to take shameless advantage of you and put you on on Saturday if that's OK with you?

Tentatively...

Saturday morning (including setup) 9 -1PM
(Setup is from 7-9 so this may be a slightly longer shift...)

Dwarven1
TomInCT
Luv2bFree
AmericaStandsStrong

Saturday afternoon 1-5
TomInCT
Crak
GoodPiper

Sunday morning 9-noon
GoodPiper
Crak

Sunday afternoon noon - 3 (teardown)
Dwarven1
Luv2bfree
Lupis42

Comments, clownbats? Anyone actually, y'know, reading this that wants to volunteer?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

crak

Looks good to me.  I'll get my own ticket.  I'll get my own ticket so you guys can have the passes.  I will bring:

a laptop for playing a video
Some black rifles
One decent extension cord and power strip
A box of generic pamphlets and posters
Some greencoat targets
A sign.

We need someone else to make and print a flyer with the upcoming dates for northeast region appleseeds.  This includes MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, NY, NJ, RI.

Might need a second extension cord too and probably more greencoats.

A tablecloth might be nice.  It's a 8ft table.

Dwarven1 is bringing some brown rifles.

Post below if you can do the sign, date flyer, or tablecloth.
Check your drama at the door.

dwarven1

Quote from: crak on March 03, 2011, 03:14:02 PMPost below if you can do the sign, date flyer, or tablecloth.

I'll bring some of the flags from our kit for the tablecloths like this: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18920.0

I'll bring a monitor and a surge suppressor to display the video - it'll take up less room on the table.

This weekend I think I'm going to try and built a couple of rifle racks to put the rifles on.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

TOMINCT

Saturday it is. I'll cover my ticket. Do you want us to be there for set up earlier? If there is anything else pm me.
Ramseur 2-12!

AmericaStandsStrong

Sorry if this screws with plans, but due to my schedule I would only be able to work on Saturday.

crak

TOMINCT

Ramseur 2-12!

dwarven1

Off limits to me, too... must be teh SooperSekrit Senior Instructor's board.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

AmericaStandsStrong

vernic82

Any of you guys coming down to Cabela's in East Hartford where many Mass'ers shop?
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

dwarven1

Quote from: AmericaStandsStrong on March 04, 2011, 06:14:40 PM
Sorry if this screws with plans, but due to my schedule I would only be able to work on Saturday.

No worries, Blake - come on down when you can on Saturday. It may get a touch crowded behind the table but I'm betting that Saturday will be the day when it's busier... and since the shifts are a bit longer than Saturday, having the extra set of hands will let folks catch a breather more easily with three other folks to cover.

If you want, you can join in on the morning shift.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

dwarven1

Quote from: vernic82 on March 06, 2011, 06:02:03 PM
Any of you guys coming down to Cabela's in East Hartford where many Mass'ers shop?

I do want to come down some time to help out at the Cabela's weekend but I think that this weekend I'm going to be concentrating on this show.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

CortJestir

Say there boys and girls, I won't be there this weekend 'cuz I'll hopefully be on the line at Hartford, but here's a flyer you can use that lists upcoming dates for New York and New England.

Have fun spreading the word and eat much beef jerky.

Flyer updated with Mass Harvard Dates. Please re-download

CJ
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

crak

Todd's the man!!!

Dwarven can you work with Todd to get the new Harvard dates on there?

Who can print those out and bring a fat stack?

I bought the sign today.  Should be ready wednesday.

AmericaStandsStrong

Thanks Ross, anything in particular I should bring? Also, since I will be helping with set up is there anywhere we are all meeting?

CortJestir

Quote from: crak on March 07, 2011, 07:19:07 PM
Dwarven can you work with Todd to get the new Harvard dates on there?

Just lemme know the new dates and I'll re-up a new version...

That goes for anyone in any of the other Northeast states as well.

dwarven1

Quote from: CortJestir on March 07, 2011, 07:25:25 PM
Quote from: crak on March 07, 2011, 07:19:07 PM
Dwarven1 can you work with Todd to get the new Harvard dates on there?

Just lemme know the new dates and I'll re-up a new version...

Here's what we're doing for Harvard for the rest of the year (hope you can fit it all in!):
May 22
June 18-19
July 17
August 6-7
September 18
October 15-16
November 27
December 17-18

Blake & others: dress code should be your Appleseed T-shirts, polos or sweatshirts and any kind of pants OTHER than camo. Orange/red hats are good if you plan to wear a ball cap inside. Oh, yes - if you have something with your RIFLEMAN patch on it, wear it!!

I'd say bring some kind of drink to keep your throat wet since I hope we'll be doing a lot of talking and any kind of snacks you need to keep your energy up (unless you want to run off and buy beef jerky, of course!). Other than that... can't think of anything.

Tom, Eric & Blake, can you guys PM me your cell phone numbers? I'm thinking that we will all need each other's numbers to coordinate meeting in the morning or at shift change.

So... got a box of flyers on the way. CortJestir, when you post the new flyer I'll run off as many as I can. Anyone else who has access to a copier, it would be a good idea to do the same.

Hmm... Crak, can you get me the signs & stuff by Friday night, since I'll be there for setup and you'll be asleep you won't?

Just thinkin' here:
Flags for the table covers
Flyers
Sign mentioning the CMP prices on Garands? Think that would go well?
Computer & monitor
Extension cord & power strip/surge suppressor
Garand, LTR
Rifle rack for the demo rifles
T-shirts & oval patches
few chamber flags for the rifles
Bloody British Butchery broadsheets
Redcoats, greencoats? & AQTs
Rifleman patch for table
Demo stock with laser & mat if we have a place to do it (which i don't think we will... I don't know about Springfield but Marlborough gun shows are seriously crowded zoos!)
And a freakin' hand truck to carry all this stuff.  ::)

GEORGE WASHINGTON

CortJestir

Thanks, Ross. Flyer updated. Added as many as I can. Have at it!

dwarven1

Quote from: CortJestir on March 08, 2011, 10:17:06 AM
Thanks, Ross. Flyer updated. Added as many as I can. Have at it!

You heard the man... start printin' whatever you can!

GEORGE WASHINGTON

lupis42

You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.