News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

An-Appleseed Feb 12-13, 2011

Started by brickhouse, February 16, 2011, 07:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brickhouse

Another textbook An-Appleseed. Temperatures were relatively mild for February in Annapolis, Maryland; yet ice and snow remained on the ground throughout the week-end.

Saturday AM three shooters took to the line under the careful tutelage of four instructors. The first set of red coats of the weekend netted one two-hundred yard and two one-hundred shooters. The progression through the first set of squares demonstrated that Ian came ready. His groups were tight and while he struggled a bit with NPOA, he had internalized its value. It was clear he took last month's instruction to heart.

Patent Guy gave a comprehensive and engaging first strike at lunch in the warm clubhouse. Refreshed and warmed in body and spirit the shooters re-took the line. Diane's husband joined the line after lunch. The day's AQTs yielded no rifleman scores but showed continued significant improvement. We broke for the day as shadows quickly raced across the target line. It is amazing how quickly it gets dark this time of year.

Ian was all business Sunday, and cleaned the morning Redcoat.  Bill was glad that he followed the advice to take his "vitamin I" the night before and went to work. Unfortunately, he had a bit of difficulty obtaining NPOA with various borrowed rifles. I sense the purchase of a LTR in the near future. Bill, be sure to spend time before the next An-Appleseed building up your stock for the perfect cheek weld. Remember the tip about horse tape. We get ours at the local tractor supply store (you have those near DC, right?  :)

We also tried several rapid-fire AQT's sunday. That switch almost got Ian over the 200 barrier, but not quite. Diane was also in the 180's by Sunday.

The usual suspects from the club stopped to check on the goings on at the small bore range. Hey guys, its time to cut bait and get your butts on the line.   ~~:)   Hmmmm, a fishing term. What would be the proper cousin to "cut bait" applied to Appleseed?   If y'all have any ideas, please let me know.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

Two Wolves

Probably not appropriate, but the first thing that comes to mind is "Hey fellers, it's time to get on the line and lock 'n load. ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

JustJeff

QuoteWhat would be the proper cousin to "cut bait" applied to Appleseed?   If y'all have any ideas, please let me know.
"Slice Apples"? Don't forget to save the seeds for replanting......
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

MacMcM

You gonna fish or cut bait?

You gonna shoot or cook?

Bets,
We had ZERO prereg that weekend and ended up with 5 shooters by social media.
I don't know which is worse no shows or no reg?

Mac
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

Two Wolves

Quote from: MacMcM on February 16, 2011, 11:28:43 AM
You gonna fish or cut bait?

You gonna shoot or cook?

Got to hand it to you Mac. :bow: You hit the nail on the head! O0

~Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

BeSwift

A small but good group of students...All capable of making it "over the hump" to Rifleman,with a little more practice and time on the line... A Rifleman persists and I've got a good feeling about this group..   BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

brickhouse

QuoteI don't know which is worse no shows or no reg?

sure you do.

Quoteended up with 5 shooters by social media

social media is definitely an under-utilized tool (at least by me). I still stubbornly refuse to sign-up on face-book etc. I have a hard time time maintaining the very few relationships that I have. But I am very glad we have multi-taskers like you that can make it work.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

brickhouse

QuoteI've got a good feeling about this group..

seconded