News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Questions from a potential Rifleman

Started by tinyang, February 09, 2011, 02:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinyang

Hi all

I'm new here, and I plan on attending an Appleseed event this spring.  I'm also fairly new to shooting, so I would really learn alot at an Appleseed event.  I have been doing some reading here and trying different things out in an effort to make the best LTR for myself.  Right now I have some questions about aperture sights.

I understand that tec sights are recommended for various reasons.  But they are aperture sights.  I've had one experience with a set of aperture sights and found they really flusterated me!  I found it extremely difficult to use, mainly for the fact that I had so much difficulty lining up the front and rear sights.  The aperture was so small that it was nearly impossible (or so it felt) to find the front sight inside the aperture in order to aim.  I found myself repeatedly standing at the firing line in the range holding the rifle up in firing position for 5+ minutes each time I stepped up for target shooting to try and line up the sights and giving up because my arms were too tired by then.  On rare occasions during that day I was able to line them up, but never found it a simple thing to do. 

So this makes me nervous about spending the money and trying out tec sights!  I'm good with a scope on my 10/22 rifle, should I go that route instead?  Or is part of the learning at Appleseed how to use aperture sights correctly so I don't have the same problems I had before?  Is this a rare type of bad experience to have with aperture sights so that I should not worry about this issue with a set of tec sights?  Has anyone else here ever had this issue with the tec sights?  Thanks for any feedback.

EEL

Good questions tinyang.  Aperture sights do take some getting used to but the problem is easily overcome with some good instruction and practice.  And you have come to the right place!   ;D

Not sure which shoot you plan on attending, but get signed up, bring your scoped rifle and ammo.  In all likelyhood, one of the instructors will have a loaner with Tech sights on it you can use (before you spend your hard earned $$$  ;)).

PM me once you are signed up and I'll make sure whomever is the SB has a loaner for you to try out.

Piece of cake.  Welcome to the Appleseed family.  Sharing / loaning / assisting is a way of life.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Colorado Pete

Get your eye (face) as close to the rear sight as possible, then look THROUGH it, AT the front sight. Let the rear sight blur and basically ignore it, focus on the top of the front sight. Like looking through a knothole in a wooden fence. You are looking at what's on the other side of hole and ignoring the hole. Let your eye naturally center itself behind the hole (that's what it will do if you let it). Having the buttstock in the correct place in your shoulder and your cheek on the correct place on the stock is critical, otherwise your eye can't center itself behind the peep.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

DesertDog

Quote from: Colorado Pete on February 09, 2011, 04:08:52 PM
Get your eye (face) as close to the rear sight as possible, then look THROUGH it, AT the front sight. Let the rear sight blur and basically ignore it, focus on the top of the front sight. Like looking through a knothole in a wooden fence. You are looking at what's on the other side of hole and ignoring the hole. Let your eye naturally center itself behind the hole (that's what it will do if you let it). Having the buttstock in the correct place in your shoulder and your cheek on the correct place on the stock is critical, otherwise your eye can't center itself behind the peep.

Great analogy of looking through a knothole.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.