News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Just Checking

Started by duc-dog, February 05, 2011, 11:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duc-dog

How did everyone fare through this cold snap?  Looks like the worst is over.  After fighting to keep pipes thawed out and taking care of critters, I figured we are not the only ones effected from the cold.  If you need a hand give a holler.  I am pretty well set up to deal with frozen stuff.  Comes from living most of my life in MN,AK and ND.  We moved down here so we wouldn't have to deal with the cold.  I guess God had to send a reminder of how good we have it most of the time.  Reflecting back, it has been kind of nice to spend some time with the wife, holed up in the house.  But, I'm  glad I didn't I didn't get rid of my cold weather gear.  Looks like a good day to go to the Range.

Milt
If you will not fight when you can easily win without bloodshed.
   You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory because it
      is better to perish than to live as slaves.  
         Winston Churchhill (paraphased)

SamD

Recovering well here.
Lost the union connecting the well to tank and some minor collateral stuff but nothing serious.
Spending more time on the neighbors stuff and plowing the road first day.

JustJeff

One burst hose pipe I noticed when it thawed yesterday....quick fix.  I was more fortunate than a lot of others, I saw plumbers rushing around all day yesterday and the hardware stores are about sold out of repair parts.  I have a load of firewood coming today, so no range time; but I hope to make it tomorrow when Sam goes (about 4:30).

I should probably call Jimi and see how he fared.... the last cold snap got him good, and his last email said he was achy and stiff.
{edit}  Spoke to Jimi via telephone.  They are doing ok, just cold, and waiting for the pipe to thaw to assess the damage to their plumbing.  He's stoked for the upcoming CBad Seed.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

duc-dog

I was doing good keeping ahead of the game until they hit us with one of those rolling blackouts.  Before I could get the generator pulled out and started my well house froze up.  After I got that thawed it was a matter of tracing the pipes and thawing as I went.  Luckily nothing froze hard and I have no leaks (yet).  I gave up on the west end of the house so that portion is froze up.  Waiting for warmer weather to tackle that.  Jimi has a hard row to hoe over there, I know on Fri morning they were -20.  We only got down to -10.  Should be better prepared and not so dependant on the eclectic/gas companies.

Milt

TaosGlock

We were on rolling BO's. Lost computer data but that is fine.
Irrigation pipe froze at the spout but a quick pvc repair will get it ready for spring.
I think LC is back to normal...still cold. We hit about 3 degrees for the low.
Made coffee over the sterno stove. ;)
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

JustJeff

I forgot that the one blackout we had here in town cost me my computer power supply.  $50 and about 40 min (incl transit to Staples) to replace.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Jerry Hall

Howdy All,

I know I'm a little ways out but if you need help let me know.
The restaurant took it hard(Michelle turned off all the heat). 9 breaks and 7.5 hrs in the attic crawl space got her all fixed up.
Low temp here 1 degree F, according to the thermometer on the truck.

I'm planning to be at Jimi's around 1300 on Friday to help out as needed.
Anything else?

...."till we meet again"....Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

SamD

Gloria and I were actually very fortunate.
Woodstove, fireplace, propane for cooking and hot water.
I actually shut off the water Tuesday night expecting badness.
Would have  had NONE if I was smart enough to drain back everything.

Sorry to hear the restaurant got hit so bad Jerrry.
Hopefully she is back in business and ready to roll.

TaosGlock

The plumbing stores in LC have been cleaned out of most items need to prevent freezing or to make more common repairs related to freezing.
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

starfox

Hope y'all are keeping safe and sounds like y'all are cleaning up. 

Nothing big up here, advantage of being in a metroplex, but did have rolling blackouts.  Thursday we busted up ice at the entrance to our subdivisions so all the Texans that have no clue how to drive on ice could at least have a fair chance of making it up the road.

Hopefully that's enough "global warming" for us this year... ;)
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

SamD

Wonder how they will explain away all the global warming this time.  O0

We'll do some time at the range tomorrow to commemorate the insanity of people watching football games.
1530 MST at the range,

Jerry Hall

Make it 10 breaks, one underground showed up this afternoon.
One for her moms house too.
Restaurant opened friday, shut down for 2 hrs this evening.
my brother bummed a roll of solder from me cause there ain't none in the stores!!! pluming supplies are non-existent anymore.
Projectile launch @ 0730 MST, 300, 400, 500, 600, and then some plinking (AQT's etc.) Runnin the press up and down in the afternoon or evening. maybe a 50 mile buzz on the motorcycle(clear out the cobwebs). There won't be many folks on the streets!

May the lord bless you and keep you till then!
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

oladcock

We got by with one minor break, had a garage full of bunnies for 3 or 4 days however. Not that they can't take the cold, can't keep them in water.

It's 18 degrees, down from 45 in an hour, with a 30-40mph wind as we speak...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

ranchroo

We, unfortunately, are still chasing water issues. A hundred square miles of country yields alot of water lines and drinkers. We finally got water to the houses and the pens, so that's good. But it doesn't look like we'll get to make Carlsbad this weekend. :(  We'll show up if we can!
"We may destroy all the men in America, and we shall still have all we can do to defeat the women." -- British General Lord Cornwallis

SamD

Understand perfectly ranchroo.
Part of living.
Hope you have success tracking them all down and getting water to your home and stock.
Take care and we'll see you on the trail.

Sam

TaosGlock

Plumbing stores are getting raided when the early delivery trucks show up. Mostly pipe foam strips and common valves.
I was told to arrive before 9AM if I wanted these or related items.

I am closing/selling my bike inventory here at the Mesilla Valley Classic Bike shop.  All those classic Schwinns are getting sold off.
I use the pipe foam to protect the bike frames when shipping them.

Also, all the cactus froze and are in big grey green lumps. I have never seen that down here before.
Might have to create a new product for BlueFeather soaps using cactus juice. Turn lemons into lemonade right?
Lemme think...

SamD

All the cactus here suffered teh same fate.
The ornamentals on base are especially bad.

PHenry

Cold snap? What cold snap?  ^-^
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

vernic82

it was a normal -5 here this February morning  ;D
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

duc-dog

Taking care of stock is not a 40 hr a week job; you will be missed.  See ya'll at a future shoot

Milt   

nmmi9100

Our low here last week was -26 F.  low this week was -15.  Warmed up quite a bit.

Our only mishap was that our natural gas meter froze.  Condensation got into the needle mechanism.  No big deal.  Plenty of wood on the porch.  Kindled up a fire for Amy and the kids before going to work.  Gas Co came later in the day and cleaned the ice out of the mechanism.

We didn't have any pipes freeze, even though they're in the walls and ceilings.  We're pretty religious drippers, though.  Had neighbors with frozen pipes so we had a good section of our block showering at our house throughout the week.  And hauling water from our house to flush toilets.

We were very fortunate but it's nice to have the backup firewood, generator, etc ready to go if need be.

-David
Edgewood, NM

TaosGlock

The run on pipe supplies at Lowe's actually caused the masses to panic. The cops were apparently called in to keep the peace.
That was the word from some of the folks at the Farmers' Market today who were there. So much for community pulling together.

Meantime our little town of Mesilla has filed a declaration of emergency as the towns water system was and is still damaged as were numerous residences.
Fortunately we have 2 wells at our little farm and plenty of hardwood for heat.

Strawberry Roan

Sounds like a good opportunity to teach those folks about being prepared!  Cold snap + no gas + no power=teachable moment! ;)

PHenry

Adversity is merely an opportunity in disguise. An opportunity to improve our failing characters through adversity. At least that's what I tell myself when I am faced with a "challenge".  :wb:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata