News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Afton, Oklahoma - Jan 29&30

Started by Scarecrow, February 03, 2011, 09:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarecrow

Here is a late start for After Action Report for Afton, Jan 29 & 30.
Pictures and info to follow as soon as possible.
Attendees are welcome to post thoughts and pictures.

TomCat

This was my second Appleseed shoot, and enjoyed it as much as the first.  Weather makes it more of a challenge, but one of the things I like about these events is the attitude of realism in training.  In the military you "go to the range" no matter what the weather is, and am glad that's what we do here.  One of the things I learned about cold weather shooting, is how the hood of your coat sometimes drops down over your eyes, especially when we change shooting positions, costing time, that should be used getting into our NPOA.
I had to "un-learn" some bad habits at the first event in October, and thanks to the instructors, with their professional attitudes and patience was able to learn alot. 
I want to extend my appreciation to every instructor that comes to these events, for volunteering their time and knowledge to help others become better riflemen.  Every instructor had to drive a considerable distance to be there that weekend, to be out in the cold and wind giving advice and encouragement, making it just a blast for us participants. And toward the end of the day, when they could have said to wrap it up, they allowed us to continue to shoot and learn and improve.  That was great of them to do that, knowing they had a long drive home in the dark waiting for them.  Thanks to every one of you!
I'm looking forward to seeing you all at the next event here, or maybe at other locations, and hope to see some of my fellow riflemen as well.     
Motto of Oklahoma:  Labor Omnia Vincit-  "Hard work conquers all."

Scarecrow

Saturday was too nice for January.  We were in shirt sleeves by end of day.
Sunday made "Winterseed" conditions by having freezing wind chill most of the day.
One Winterseed Rifleman patch awarded.

henschman

This event really illustrated the craziness of Oklahoma weather... 70s on saturday, and then 30s on Sunday.  It's not the temperature that will get you though... it's that relentless prairie wind that chills you to the bone no matter how many layers you have on (kind of like how a .30 cal battle rifle turns what you thought was cover into mere concealment ;D ).  As the shoot boss, I determined that a winterseed patch was warranted for Tom, our event's single Rifleman, who toughed it out and made the grade on the last AQT of the day, around 4:30, as the sun was dipping low and the temperatures were dropping.  He was hovering right around the Expert mark, with several scores in the 190s and 200s, as were a couple of other gentlemen.  But he finished strong with the healthy score of 218.  No surprise there; Tom was already a Rifleman, as he proved back in October.  Now he has a fancy blue patch to add to that green one.

Good to have you on the forum, Tom!  I look forward to seeing you again soon on the firing line (maybe in one of those sweet orange hats).  I'm glad you got something out of it.  We instructors love what we do.  You should try it -- you'll see what I'm talking about!

I love how we shoot rain or shine, too.  A Rifleman should know how he, his rifle, and his gear perform in adverse conditions. 

It was a great event... everyone improved, especially the ones who stuck it out with us on Sunday. 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Verdigris

This event was my first as an instructor (IIT) and, as a result, I feel that I learned more than I taught.  I'd like to thank everyone that came out, especially those who braved the single-digit wind chills that started us out on Sunday.

From the student side, the whole line did a great job of staying on task and observing our safety rules.  I saw one student that almost broke Rule #1, but thankfully they were with someone who was very quick to enforce Rule #4.
Good event with a variety of courses of fire to keep the students interested.  Henschman did a very good job with the history and Scarecrow was solid with everything he presented.  My gratitude to both of these instructors for being supportive of my fledgeling efforts in this shoot.

glock girl

I had a great time for my first real experience with long guns!  Sunday was freaking cold though, we threw in the towel because I was too stinking miserably cold to get anything out of sticking around. 

henschman

Good to have you on the forum glock girl... I don't think anybody can really blame you for not sticking around for all of Sunday!

Rifles are pretty fun, huh?  Though you have to see what one can do on a full distance range to truly appreciate their power.  Have you heard the one about the old sheriff who was at an awards banquet?  A lady said "why do you have your pistol, are you expecting trouble?"  He said "No ma'am, if I were expecting trouble I would have brought my rifle!"

Unfortunately you missed the fun drill we did later in the day, to warm everybody up... It was a "circle of fire" drill, where the shooters played militia being directed to an ambush spot by General Heath.  It involved running, shooting, knowledge of one's max effective range, and holy redcoats of course.   

Lisa was the first one to clear the 150-yard dash, load, and get her first shot off... General Heath would have been proud... but Tom, our Rifleman, was the top shot.  He had the highest score by far.  A regular Hezekiah Wyman. 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

POP

Sounds like Henschman replayed the "circle of fire" drill from the Eureka KS RBC last July.  Only instead of 30 deg it was 105 deg then and a much slower dash.

Congrats on the Winterseed Rifleman Patch, Tom. 
And, verdigris, you run with a rough bunch of folks in Hensch, Scary, Al, and Dale  **) 
Really, they are just the best.   O0  Appleseed is fortunate to have all of you in the program. 
See you on the trail somewhere this year.
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

TUHurricane

It was a wonderful time, and I learned even more.  No matter how many I go to, I seem to learn something new each time.  I appreciate all the help I got from everybody, whether it was instruction, lunch, or the kind man that paid my range fee.  All I have to say is when is the next appleseed? There is not one listed on the schedule, yet.  I have spring break March 12-20 so I will not be able to make one in there.  Again thanks, I had a great time.  It's amazing how much fun these things are. 
guns and freedom are like music and dancing, you can't have one without the other.

oldgrunt

Anytime we enjoy helpin anyone that needs it ..I told you just show up we'll take care of you..Besides I think once you get to a place in your life you'll remeber us and return the favor...Kinda pay it forward..I remeber the first time you and your dad came out..it was a joy..well till next time practice and try to master the NPOA drill bet you'll get it soon...I know we will always have a rifle on hand for you.....God bless you and this fine program......
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

4bfox

January in OK and no snow?! Who'd a thunk it...

4b
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

hangfire

TUHurracane, I had my fingers crossed for you to shoot your rifleman but there is always next time. Glad to have been able to have helped you with the range fee I was inspires by your post and the sacrifices that you were willing to make to get to spend the weekend at an Appleseed Clinic. Hope to read were you earn your patch and see you at another shoot soon. 
Hangfire

TomCat

Boss, that was quite a compliment to be considered in the same league as Hezekiah Wyman.  But I think that every person that lays on that firing line is in the same category.  I pray that I would be good enough, and brave enough, just to carry ammo for 'ol Hez!
  And Verdigris, you are truly a gentleman. Thanks for not "letting the cat out of the bag".  I personally know the person who "almost broke rule #1".  He hangs his head in shame every time he thinks of it.  The instructors are most gracious. 
Motto of Oklahoma:  Labor Omnia Vincit-  "Hard work conquers all."