News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Interested in starting a MN email newsletter?

Started by Puma Mami, February 24, 2011, 09:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puma Mami

I think this could help with promoting events in Minnesota. Having a monthly email newsletter only costs someone's time to put it together, update the list with new subscribers/unsubscribers, and send it out. So it's a free promotion, basically.

Since we are having promotions at various places, like Pine City next weekend, we could start a newsletter right away, if that's something that's allowable. Not sure about any restrictions or approval needed through the organization.

People could sign up for the newsletter at the events, or by emailing the box directly. At events I'd recommend a 1/4 sheet sign-up slip asking for name and email only, then they would fold it and put into a box or fishbowl. Then someone would enter them onto the email distribution list (I can do that if you send me the slips).

The newsletter would bring Appleseed back to their awareness each month, and would have information and links that direct them to content on the main Appleseed web site and forum. They may become interested at an event, but forget later, or may look at the web site after an event, but not sign up right away and then forget about it. Since people usually need to hear or be exposed to an idea 7 times before they adopt it/buy/participate, a monthly newsletter could help with that process and leverage the impact of in-person promotions at events.

I've run newsletters like this for a medium-sized company and a Boy Scout troop in the past. So I'm volunteering to do it for Minnesota Appleseed. I've made a one-page sample for March, attached in PDF format. The text is from the main web site, with links directing them to the original source to read more. We could also attach PDFs like brochures, flyers, etc. as needed.

I would recommend having a plain text version inside the email, then attach the nicely-printable PDF, too. There would need to be an email box set up to send it from, and Google email would be a nice place for that. Gmail allows you to put your address book into groups to blind copy the email to. Usually senior leadership and whoever is doing the newsletter distribution and email list updates would have access to the email box.

See what you think.

Plain text sample email newsletter for March:

MARCH WINTERSEED AT HINCKLEY, MN

Hot brass and cold weather, that's what makes a Winterseed. So if you're one of those who think that there's no better way to spend those chilly weekends between November and March than shooting in the company of warm friends, old and new, then read on at http://www.appleseedusa.org/winterseed.html.

On March 26th and 27th in Hinckley, Minnesota we are offering the final opportunity this winter to earn the Winterseed rifleman patch.  Registration information is available at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19999.0.

THE RWVA MISSION

Through Project Appleseed, the Revolutionary War Veterans Association is committed to teaching two things:  rifle marksmanship and our early American heritage. We do this for one simple reason, the skill and knowledge of what our founding fathers left to us is eroding in modern America and without deliberate action, they will be lost to ignorance and apathy.

Is there a direct relationship between understanding our country's founding and civic virtue? The answer should anecdotally be quite clear. As our citizens' knowledge of founding principles has declined, so too has our involvement in this government "of, by and for The People." Instead, our citizens seem all too content to relegate governmental decisions and knowledge to those that have been elected, all the while assuming these officials' abilities and agendas are working on their behalf. We believe that if this trend continues, our country will be left with an expansive gulf between the populace and the government.

The Revolutionary War Veterans Association is committed to renewing civic virtue - prioritizing civic responsibility over personal interests and indulgence. We are wholly comprised of volunteers who commit time, resources and passion toward achieving the RWVA mission. As a 501(c)3 organization, we promote civic responsibility through the teaching of colonial history and the American tradition of rifle marksmanship in a safe, non-partisan environment.

Read more about the mission of Project Appleseed at http://www.appleseedusa.org/appleseed-mission.html.

UPCOMING APPLESEEDS IN MINNESOTA

Hinckley, MN - Mar 26-27, 2011    http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19999.0
Hinckley, MN - Apr 16-17, 2011    http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19999.0
Marshall, MN - Apr 16-17, 2011    http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=17034.0
Rochester, MN - Apr 16-17, 2011    http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=20013.0
Winona, MN - May 7-8, 2011    http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=17446.0
Hinckley, MN - May 14-15, 2011    http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19999.0

The complete, national schedule is available at http://www.appleseedusa.org/search-states.html.
Check often since new events are added throughout the year.

You received this email because you have requested to receive communications from us. We respect your privacy. If you would like to be removed from our mailing list, please reply to this email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line. Please allow up to 10 days for your request to be processed.

All content copyright © 2011 Revolutionary War Veterans Association. All rights reserved.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

vmt193

I like it...a lot.  O0

I thought about this a while ago when I saw what the Texas crew had done. I'll start getting our e-mail list updated if you want to take off and run with this.

vmt193

Puma Mami

Quote from: vmt193 on February 24, 2011, 10:39:35 AM
I like it...a lot.  O0

I thought about this a while ago when I saw what the Texas crew had done. I'll start getting our e-mail list updated if you want to take off and run with this.

vmt193

Great! I'm glad you like it.

Let me know how that would work. Should I send you the files? or send the newsletter directly from somewhere? Should I register for a MN email address? PM me the details.

I've attached a 1/4 sheet sign-up for the email newsletter that can be printed, cut out, and brought to events--starting with this weekend at Pine City. I'll be there Sunday, so I can pick up any slips from Saturday at that time, too.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

AFTERMATH

Quote from: vmt193 on February 24, 2011, 10:39:35 AM
I like it...a lot.  O0

vmt193

Copy that...  I'll work at my end of the e-mails. 

Excellent work Jennifer!
We have a MN Appleseed address....  We can use for now; I'd also like to look into getting our own domain/site, then people could sign up online too.
Mike, can you get her the details on our state addy; or should we set up a new one just for this purpose.
(Psst...  While you're at it; can you send me the password again.  I kinda lost it... #) )

I also like the contact cards.  We've used a list in the past; but people are hesitant when about others reading the list while signing up.
How much trouble would it be to add "Zip code" to them so we have a general referance of penetration?

Thank you! O0

Alex
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Blue Five

Hey, that's a really neat idea...maybe someone should suggest it to Wisconsin too...  ::)

Not that we Wisconsinites would ever "borrow" anything from Minnesota and claim it as our own or anything  >:D

B5
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on February 24, 2011, 02:42:14 PM
Copy that...  I'll work at my end of the e-mails. 

Excellent work Jennifer!
We have a MN Appleseed address....  We can use for now; I'd also like to look into getting our own domain/site, then people could sign up online too.
Mike, can you get her the details on our state addy; or should we set up a new one just for this purpose.
(Psst...  While you're at it; can you send me the password again.  I kinda lost it... #) )

I also like the contact cards.  We've used a list in the past; but people are hesitant when about others reading the list while signing up.
How much trouble would it be to add "Zip code" to them so we have a general reference of penetration?

Thank you! O0

Alex

You're welcome. Glad to help out. I hope this will help to get more people to participate.  O0

I've attached an updated sign-up slip page with the zip code on it. Some people may be hesitant to put it on there, though. So I've noted it is "optional" to help avoid having someone not sign up at all due to that. Most people will probably be OK with giving a first name and email address.

Puma Mami

I've updated the PDF newsletter with a footer letting people know they can subscribe by emailing MN@appleseedinfo.org, and also directing people to the Facebook page, "Minnesota- Land of 10,000 Appleseeds!"

Looks like the "Latest News" on the Facebook "Info" page is from last summer. So that could use an update. The "Wall" page there is very current. O0

I'll email the updated text and PDF newsletters to you guys at MN@appleseedinfo.org so you can send it out. I'd recommend doing that on Monday evening, the last day of the month, after any new email subscribers are added from this weekend.