Author Topic: HIGHLY SUGGESTED READING AND VIEWING BEFORE YOUR FIRST APPLESEED.  (Read 2257 times)

DuaneRN

I have gotten a lot of emails lately about preparing for a first Appleseed.  Aside from the obvious like get your equipment squared away and do some burpees, I suggest that all first timers watch this video:  http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1

This is an excellent resource and while it is a little dated and we use some different techniques, it is a wealth of information and kinda gives you an idea of what we are going to be doing.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:43:26 AM by DwayneH »

DuaneRN

Re: HIGHLY SUGGESTED READING AND VIEWING BEFORE YOUR FIRST APPLESEED.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:45:41 AM »
Some of this is not applicable to Appleseed as we don't use pistols, but it is well worth the read.

Reprinted with permission of James Yeager of Tactical Response.
www.TacticalResponse.com

Get More from Your Training

By: James Yeager of Tactical Response

I would like to pass along some information that might make you tuition at your next class go further. This is directed toward firearms and tactical training but will most likely apply to other areas of Instruction as well. The motivation for this article is watching students go through the same evolution as I did and wishing they didn't have to climb the same costly, time consuming, frustrating, ladder.

I remember my very first training class. It was very exciting and a little scared. Who were the other pistoleros? Would they laugh at me? There were many things going through my mind as the class began. One thing many folks wonder about is "how safe is that person next to me?" From my studies I find that the vast majority of gunshot wounds that occur in training are self inflicted (off hand and strong side hip mostly).

I asked myself several times "Am I good enough to even take this course?" I know now that many first time students think that same thing prior to signing up. Many have even confided in me they had to work the courage up to even ask about taking the class. I have also found the opposite to be true in some cases. I have seen many people who think that professional training has nothing to offer them.

My first class, like many other students, held the highest amount of information I would ever take from one lesson. Why? Because shooting isn't too complex and after you get the fundamentals (sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, and follow-though) and technique (Weaver, Isosceles, etc) there isn't a lot left. No matter how "high speed" a class is advertised as it is still applying all of those basic things you learned at the first course.

I have been instructing for a while now and I still take multiple classes each year to keep up with the current "high speed" techniques (I also enjoy training), which as I said, aren't that new or that high speed. Being an Instructor has made me a better student. I have learned from the other side what makes a class flow more smoothly. I am going to give you my opinions on what will make you learn more in a training environment and get the most for your money.

The Golden Rule is to have an OPEN MIND. Go to every class with the opinion you know nothing. Push all of your previous training to the side and do the class EXACTLY like the Instructor tells you. Even if the Instructor tells you to do something that is alien or never worked for you in the past. I now look back at all of the money I wasted on training before I learned this concept. If you can't honestly receive instruction with an open mind staying home would save you money and keep the instructor from pulling his hair out.

Another problem changing techniques in a class is the fact that your groups might open up as you perfect the new method. This is a natural thing but 99.9% of us won't do it because we don't want to look bad in front of the other Ninjas. So we keep on pluggin' away with our inferior methods. If you change the way you shoot you will most likely have a short period of feeling awkward about the new technique. Classes are not competitions. Stay with it a while before you give up on it. It just might pay off.

Nobody wants to take a "basic" level class. Everyone wants an "advanced" class. I hate to be the one who breaks it to you but they are all pretty much the same. No REALLY BIG difference in a basic and advanced class. Sure advanced classes are different but not too much. Basic classes contain a lot of very good information. I have taken about 17 or 18 "basic" classes and I learned a lot from every single one of them. I have found that less than 1% of shooters have a firm grasp on shooting fundamentals. Don't turn your nose up at lower level classes.

If you think you know more than the Instructor it is best to stay quiet. It is his class and if you want to teach open your own school. I did. What you shouldn't do is interrupt and or correct him. It is disruptive to the entire class and nobody will like it. If you have a valid point to make wait for a break in the lecture, he will want to hear it.

Don't tutor other students especially on the firing line. We see this commonly with husband and with teams that show up. We typically have then stand a few spaces apart and she really appreciates it! It's kind of funny when the wife leaves a better shooter and tactician than the husband. I bet that is a long ride home!

Training and practice are two different things. Training is what you do under the watchful eye of an instructor. Practice is what you do after training to ingrain those skills. After you take a class you must practice the things you learned. Getting new skills at a class and practicing is kind of like buying a new car and making payments. After you make enough payments the car is yours. If you go to the range and "make payments" the new skills will be yours too. Skip a few payments and they get reposed.

No matter how good your favorite school may be you have to train at different places. If your school tells you to never do "this" go find a school that says to always do it. If you favorite school teaches Weaver go find an Isosceles program and vice versa. Go to as many different types of learning environments as possible. Go to schools run by ex-military, police, champion shooters and learn something from all the different outlooks to be well rounded. My philosophy is that we are assembling our very own "tactical puzzle". Each instructor has at least one piece to give you and some even have a few. You must train at various locations to get YOUR pieces assembled. (Not too many people that own a school will tell you to go somewhere else!)

Show up for class on time and be prepared to stay. I have been to schools that you "trained" 5 hours out of the 8 and yet others where you where begging for a break. Besides your standard range gear take water (Camelbak is best), bug repellant, sunscreen, and weather appropriate clothing if training outside. Bring snacks and lunch too. Even if you have time to leave you may just appreciate resting and having lunch under a tree instead. Pack any needed medications in your bag. It is perfectly acceptable to call the school ahead of time and get advice on the needed gear for the class. Many times this can save you from buying too much gear or the wrong gear.

Get plenty of sleep, don't get drunk the night before class, and come to learn with an open mind and you will get the most for your training dollar!

Top 10 list of training tips:

1. Use quality ammo - this is no time to be cheap!

2. Buy and bring quality gear and test fit everything before class. Read instructions.

3. Mark your magazines because they get mixed up a lot. Bring a mag loader.

4. Dump the ammo from all the little boxes into the ammo carton or range bag.

5. Bring a gun that works...and a back-up just in case.

6. Your range bag should have a trauma kit in it.

7. Having at least 6 pistol mags and 10 rifle mags is a good idea.

8. Bring a clean and properly lubricated gun and a basic cleaning kit and lube.

9. Bring all your ammo to every day of class. (I know but people don't sometimes!)

10. Use a purpose made GUN BELT. It is not important if it is nylon or leather.