News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Mossberg .22 AR-style platform

Started by JustJeff, January 27, 2011, 08:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustJeff

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/69671-1.html?utm_source=Blog&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=696710BlogSocial011111

Ran into this on FaceBook....
Specifications and features:
Mossberg Tactical .22 semi-automatic rifle
.22 Long Rifle caliber
18" barrel
10 round capacity
Fixed length black synthetic stock
Quad rail forend
Integrated A2-style carry handle/rear sight/top rail
Front post and adjustable rear sights
35.5" overall length
13" length of pull
Weighs 5 pounds

Basically, it's a Plinkster 702 in an AR configuration. 

$216 makes it an affordable LTR and the the 6 position stock will help with the younger shooters.  Add a sling (studs are there) and away you go.  I'm tempted to give one a try.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Blue Five

Wow, that looks pretty nice...though it can't possibly replace my Ruger 10/22 that I got when I was 9  O0

Still, tempted to give one a whirl myself...I like the price.

B5
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

SamD

"Fancy schmancy tools have never been a suitable replacement for hard won skill, just a crutch for the motivationally challenged"

oladcock

Reviews haven't been good for AS work but it's pretty! We need pretty functional...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

JustJeff

Sam, I didn't think of it as a 'fancy schmancy tool.'  I thought of it as a cheap AR practice rifle.  After reading Henschmans review, I don't believe it's an option.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Blue Five

If it can't function on the line, I don't want anything to do with it...
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

nyrasgt

Folk,
  Just for comparison shopping (being frugal and all), generally loaner Ruger 10-22s are going to be in the $200 range, using the Instructor Purchase Program (and, full disclosure - several posters have indicated that even better deals can be found from various, local shops, if one works at it and supports local enterprise).  Rifles would still need tech sights, studs, swivels, and a sling - paid for with the savings from IPP...
  When we get S&W to recognize us, their M&P 15-22 should come in around $360 (rather than $570) through the program.  Extra 25 rd mags are $20.04 through their store.
   "My mother told me...you'd better shop around..."  Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Excelsior,
madMark 
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Gideon

Admittedly, I'm on a huge learning curve, but my first impression is that this Mossberg might make a nice LTR.  It has 10 round clips and, I assume, peep sights.  With a 10/22 and a Marlin 795 you still need to invest in Tech Sights, and install sling studs in the 10/22.

Now, I'm going to say that it's hard to beat the price of a Marlin 795, even after you put tech sights on it.  But, the Mossberg appears to be LTR compatible right out of the box.

What am I missing?

Honestly guys, this is a really good discussion for me because I was considering purchasing a Marlin 795, and installing Tech Sights, as an LTR.

Gideon

oladcock

Gideon, the basic 795 is a pretty good deal and seems to work well. This "AR" is based around the 702 which seems to be OK as well but this version with the plastic clam shell makes sights a problem and slings.

I love the tech sights on these guns but you can put a decent scope on them for less $$$ if $$$ is an issue. I love the 10-22's also but they need a few mods to be a bit more user friendly. And what a person runs into with any of these cheaper guns is you can have one gun that runs just fine and another just like it that won't. I boils down to identifying the quirks and fixing them. It could be tweaking a magazine, polishing a ramp, type/brand of ammo, or grinding off flashing on a bolt! This Mossberg with a little ingenuity might work just fine. Adapt, improvise, and overcome! :)......O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

dart67eb

If you get the urge to practice shf and npoa indoors anytime, take a look at this. http://www.airsoftgunroom.com/py-1843.html  I got one for my youngest for his birthday and you can't tell the difference.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Wheeler44

The standard config 702 "plinkster" makes a fine LTR...It still needs peep sights. I believe that tech-sites for a 795 will mount on a 702. There are some "break-in issues. It also needs at least one sling stud.

I found that the "ejector rod" on mine needed fine tuning. It is a piece of sheet metal that bumps the empty case off the extractor and out the ejection port. If it's too high it'll bounce the case down, If it's too low it'll bounce the case up. Both can cause a "stovepipe". I gently bent mine to strike the case on the very edge of the base of the case at the 9:00 position. It also should be as close to the edge as possible otherwise it pushes the case forward causing a stovepipe.
I also over compressed the bolt spring one time and that seemed to allow the bolt to function a little better.

Another thing that I did to my 702 was to polish the sear/trigger interface using a match striker. This is another sheet metal piece that is chemically hardened. Be very careful to not remove any material, but just smooth out the "machining".

Those simple "mods" made my 702 a fine running rifle, with very few if any feeding and/or extraction problems.

That rifle has been to well over a dozen Appleseds as a loaner and the simple manual of arms makes for a great first time users loaner. I find it to be simpler to operate in every aspect than the 10-22. Mine will shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups consistently with it's favorite ammo. In the case of mine, Blazer in the 50 rd box.

When my wife had issues with her stainless steel/ walnut stocked 10-22, she used the 702 and claimed it for her own.

Not too bad for a $100.00 dollar "plinkster"

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

VietVet

I have both the Standard 702 & the 702 Tactical.
As mentioned above the 702 is a fine Rifle for an Appleseed. You will have to add sling studs. Out of the box there are none.

I used it to make Rifleman.

Now the Tactical is pure plastic. It's simply has the workings of the Standard wrapped in a plastic AR shell. IMO this model looks and feels cheap.
I would not recommend it for an Appleseed, or for that matter unless you have the money to spend just go for the standard version.

To clean the Tactical you have to remove the plastic shell that wraps the barrel and chamber which means removing your sights. When you reassemble it hopefully the sights are in the same location or you start over to zero it.

If you're into the tacticool look spend a little more and get the M&P.

Just my opinion here.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Gideon