News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

ODE TO A RIFLEMAN written by Appleseed's own Steve Anderson

Started by Castle Mountain, January 21, 2011, 02:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castle Mountain

To help and sharper our spirits for the start of a new year for our program. This piece written by
Steve is a most poigniant piece of writting.  :'(

ODE TO A RIFLEMAN written by Appleseed's own Steve Anderson

I attempted to read this to an Appleseed group in Clinton, Il last summer and was so choked up by it I handed it over
to Gopher Boy (Shoot Boss) who took over from where I left off (not having read it before, nor was he aware of it's powerful sentiment) and he too nearly
lost it as he proceed to read and finish it.  I for one could not finish it at the time and stood griped in tears  as I watched him struggle through it.
Needless to say he was surprised by it's content and as moved by it as I was. This one for sure is a keeper. In fact an old Korean War Vet  father of a daughter
(news reporter who was on scene) was so moved to tears that he left crying following Gopher Boy's benediction, with his daughter hugging him and rubbing his back
as they walked away. This is indeed a beautiful piece and one which I will forever treasure.
Hope you enjoy this presentation of it and can use it. O0  I have merely attempted to merge it with the image of 'Captain John Parker' our hero, in tribute
to him as having so exemplified the meaning of the sentiments of these words. I have learned first hand that they mean a great deal to those who have
personally sacrificed for this nation God has given us. We need to follow up on the daughter Gopher Boy and see if she has written anything, if not
to personally invite her back to the next shoot we do there. What a memorable weekend that was. What marvelous people that came.

The talent we have in Appleseed amazes me. Steve Anderson, thank you sir from the bottom of my heart for this wonderful writing you have done.  :bow:

What can I say but you are a Great American! O0 What can any of us say? This is what Appleseed is about  O0 This is what we as Riflemen and Rifle women are about.
this is a code to live by.

Best regards,

Castle Mountain
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Two Wolves

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

oldgrunt

As fred says oneday will shall have our own spot in history ..The D.C. mall...this should be on the steps of our shrine....For we are the keepers of the faith in our god ,country and our mission..carry on my brothers and sisters  seeya on the line..If not in body then in spirit....
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

grassy

I to was moved and have been looking for this since the clinton AS. I followed up with the daughter once before and she was really busy at the time so i couldnt talk to her but she said she hadnt done anything yet but that she would be writing an article.  i will do another follow up and give her the current dates for the next three AS at clinton (which i have people ready to sign up for but they arent listed on the shoot date). if you need anything else let me know.  Im not an IIT (yet) but i can do what you need for this area.