News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winterseed (Likely to be arriving) in Maryland

Started by BeSwift, October 02, 2010, 12:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeSwift

Get ready Maryland shooters...Winterseed is coming!... We're gonna find out who's got the mettle to bundle up, get on the line, hear the story they don't (and won't!) teach in school anymore and EARN that Rifleman designation..  Dates and details coming soon!
BeSwift  
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Fred

BeSwift, unless you are talking about Western Maryland, I'm not sure any other AS in MD would qualify, weather- and challenge-wise, for being a "Winterseed"?

Early in the planning of Winterseed, I posted:

QuoteWe need a plan for the roll-out; some press releases to go out to the Media A/B lists; some rules for awarding of the Winter RB ILO the regular RB - can't have them awarded, unless the weather is "bad" - cold, raining, snowing, etc. - it'll be an SB decision, as it has to be made on-the-spot.

So, to authorize the awarding of the special "Winterseed Rifleman's Badge", the SB has to determine if the weather challenge at a particular AS qualifies the event as a "Winterseed", and announce at the beginning of the AS whether it qualifies or not (which he can change during the course of the AS - I've been out west, and know how fast the weather can change on ya).

Which means the WS has to meet certain weather conditions.

First, it has to be cold. Anything below freezing will automatically qualify. But the coldest I've ever been was in PA when it was above freezing, but drizzling (brrrr...).

So, if the temp is below 40 degrees, but rain, drizzle, or sleet, I'd suggest it be called "a Winterseed".

Second, the weather clearly has to be an impediment to body and spirit. A Winterseed has to have "uncomfort" associated with it. So a sunny dry calm day with the temp at freezing can be better - way more comfortable - than a day with blowing wind, temp in the high forties, and overcast skies - with or without precipitation.

Because of all these variables, the SB is the man-on-the-spot to make the call.

Hmmmm, maybe there will be Winteseeds in MD this season... O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Mogget

LOL.

Having lived in Maryland, just outside DC, for eight years I am here to tell you that MD will have the WinterSeed experience.  Just gotta pick the right weekends...

Mogs

PHenry

I'll get my admin guy to work up a "summer seed" patch - I am thinking a little Salvador Dali melting look would be appropriate. Either that, or a patch sizzling in a nice southern-style cast iron skillet in bacon grease to depict sunblock.  ;D

Summer just released its grip a few weeks back. You can always tell when you walk outside at 6:AM and it's under 80. This AM it was "chilly" by our standards at 65 degrees with the humidity under 90%. It'll be nice now (barring the occasional cold day, and yes it does git cold now and agin) until next June, so time to crank up the calender and roll!  :--- :--- :---
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

BeSwift

With 70-90" snowfall in central Maryland last winter, I believe it's a pretty good possibility we may see some Winterseed patches awarded :)... Remember, we're not too far from Valley Forge...
I'll be careful to choose my promotional wording carefully, but I do want the shooters who choose to attend the program in Jan, Feb, or March to be aware there's at least the potential of some officially sanctioned bragging rights ...
Thanks for the clarification!    BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

BeSwift

Links are now HOT for sign up for Jan 8-9 and Feb 12-13 shoots, and they're going quick...!  BeSwift
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Patent guy

Okay, we can now confirm that persistant, teachable kids and adults can EARN a Winterseed patch in Maryland.   ..:..
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

enfield

Hey everyone. There is a family (mother and two teenage boys) scheduled for the coming Annapolis February 12 and 13 Appleseed. The best I can gather from them that they may have only one 22 rifle to bring amongst them. Even that is not definite in my opinion. So instructors out there, can three rifles be provided for this family? Let me know.

Thanks

Peter

brickhouse

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

Patent guy

District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"