News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Not a DAR, maybe a DAPR

Started by CaptG, July 02, 2009, 02:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptG

Designated Appleseed Practice Range

First off, if this is a problem with AS or RWVA, let me know. Second, If any of you with a lot more experience than me have any suggestions or advice, please share.

When I attended my first couple of AS, I raised my hand for the Rifleman's Pledge. Among other things, I pleged that if needed, I would build a range.

I'm fortunate to have a small piece of land in Sealy TX where I can shoot. I don't yet have a large enough backstop for a full AS, but I can handle 6 or 8 shooters. If any of you in the Houston area would like to come out and shoot, let me know.

My schedule is kind of strange. I don't have every weekend off. PM me and I'll let you know when I'm available.

What I'd really like to be able to do is get a few other IITs together so we can shoot and work on our skills and our stories. But if new shooters are interested, I can at least help with the basics.

I don't want to take away from  any full AS going on, but for the next couple of months, none fit into my work scedule. I also wind up having a lot of days off during the week, so let me know. Once September rolls around, the AS schedule and mine start meshing and I'll be out IITing and hopefully moving up.

Seventh stepping anyway I can,

Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

BaldDragn

I'm at the leading edge of the Appleseed wave currently running from south to north across the state of California and we don't have an in house shoot boss just yet so I've filled in with a Mini and may be doing another one soon. I don't invite people that have never been to an Appleseed, I want them to get the full Appleseed experience before they come to the mini training experience, and I make it clear that the mini is not an Appleseed.

Also a point to note, insurance, without an instructor, Appleseed insurance does on cover the event.

All in all, It's a good way for everybody to do some training for their next goal, and get together to discuss new ideas and give things a trial run.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Fred

Minis offer a lot of possibilities - not only to polish your instructor skills, but also to get people interested in coming to an AS (so you may want to "open" your minis, Bald).

And to keep up the interest and motivation, and allow people who need the time and practice to advance toward "rifleman" status (which you are doing now, B).

And no harm in simply getting together, and having some fun shooting AQTs, either! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Aromatic

I can attest to the hospitality of CaptG.  Practicing at his range is what put got me over the 210 hump.

Thanks for extending this invitation to everyone.  Hopefully I will make it out in the next couple of weeks.

Greg in MO

Guy,

Thank you for offering you land.  In addition to mini's you might get with your state coordinator and consider using the site for IBCs.  Having a small line available can be a real benefit when teaching new instructors.

Good luck!

Greg

Aromatic

Quoteconsider using the site for IBCs

Great idea.  I would be up for an IBC before the RBC in November.

big 54r

Hey Guy you extended this same offer to me and I fully intend on taking you up on it when I am walking around alot better than I am know!!!! <:)

Hopefully the swelling in my knee will go down and I can get around to the rehab stuff and be up and running... well hobbling in my case at the moment.

I would also like to speak with you Guy so a pm is coming your way!

Aromatic

Took GaptG up his offer today and got in some great practice  :~

CaptG, did you end up getting any rain.  I hit some pretty good rain right after I left your place. 

Thanks again for the hospitality.

CaptG

I'll be shooting on Saturday.  :~ :~ :~
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

CaptG

Next Sunday, 9 Aug, I'll be shooting again. Last weekend chance here for a while since I've got no more weekends off till Sept and I'll be out IITing 2 weekends in a row (Davilla & Raton). I will have some weekdays off in the interim & try to shoot at least once a week. PM me if you're interested.
Guy
Winston Churchill

CaptG

Winston Churchill

CaptG

Winston Churchill

CaptG

Winston Churchill

sleepy Joe

are you still letting people shoot on your land?
By the numbers

CaptG

Sure Joe,
PM me to check my schedule.
Guy
Winston Churchill

Texas Rifleman

What distance can you shoot at your range?
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

CaptG

the way its set up now just 25 m. I may at some time in the future move things around to be able to shoot 200 yds or so. (i've got 7 1/2 acres & can shoot towards the creek & away from the nieghbors)
G
Winston Churchill