News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winter Seeds are fine, what about Summer Seeds?

Started by Hambone, November 18, 2010, 09:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 clicks low

First if you need a pach to prove you are cold/hot/wet/dry/boy/girl/red/white/blue etal, et nausium, then you aren't a real rifleman. A rifleman dosen't need to prove anything to anybody. Lets loose the ego people. As an American you should be a rifleman, nothing more, nothing less.

As to the "250 prefection patch" I read somewhere on this board that "prefection was the enemy of good enough".

Being a rifleman is good enough. The next step is to teach good enough. Perfection is just not a RWVA principle.

2cl

Quote from: AR15DeadOn on December 22, 2010, 06:47:32 PM
We need to have a 250 perfection patch.  That's the only one besides the rifleman's patch that I would be striving for.  Or maybe, "I got 500 people to wake up and come to an AS patch".  OK, make it a total of three patches I would be striving for.
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

colycat

If I recall correctly, the whole winterseed and the patches came about to get people to schedule shoots between Dear hunting season and April 19.

It wasn't very long ago (1 yr ) that no one even thought about having a seed during the winter.  Most ranges are closed around here and we can't even schedule shoots until their Jan meetings.

If the patches make more Appleseeds, then they are a good thing.

As to the original question about hot weather shoots and a related patch,  the patch is already designed.  However, in my opinion, hot weather shoots are much more dangerous than cold weather.  It seems to be easier to die from heat exhaustion than hypothermia.  But I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV.

So I would defer to the people who live in areas where it does get over  100 degrees.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Momma Bear

Let's do zombie patches.
Bad Idea to get between a Momma Bear and her Cubs.

Pvt.Joker

Quote from: ZombieSlayer on December 22, 2010, 07:57:36 PM
Let's do zombie patches.

I'm in.
I have long believed that there are two kinds of people in the world, and one kind has ceased being human.
:---
"The battlefields of history are littered with the bones of those, who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest; and, resting, died."   
"We can't guarantee success in this war, but we can do something better. We can deserve it."
-John Adams, in a letter to his wife, Abigail.

Cory Mathis

2CL

Why not comment on the getting 500 people involved patch.  Always shooting people down?  Easy targets are easy to hit.  I am new to this forum so I can't say that I have read that you don't want to shoot your very best every shot.  Perfection?  Glock must have it wrong.  I still like the I got 500 new shooters to an AppleSeed.  No matter what you say 2CL.

Take care and God Speed.

2 clicks low

Sorry AR15DeadOn

I did not intend this to sound like an attack on you :-[.

I made no comment about 500 people patch as I don't have a problem with it. Like rifleman, that is a worthy goal, however I think I would have the same objections to a "500 left handed Wisconsonites" patch that I have to the "overcast windy seed" patch.

The part about good enough is more or less paraphrased plagiarised from this board. If I could remember right it was from EEL, or Guy, maybe Fred, one of those higher ups. (Found it, it was from Son Of Martha).

Once again, sorry, no offense intended.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Cory Mathis

No problem sir.  I just took your comments to heart and should have left them on my sleeve.  You and yours have a great Christmas and a blessed new year.

AR15

siglite

I'm not big on the special patches.  I got a winterseed patch for shooting in KY a couple of weeks ago.  Yeah, it was cold, but I wasn't there for the patch.  I was there for a couple of reasons.  The first was that I think all us instructors should actually take the time (if possible) to SHOOT an appleseed as a student, to remind themselves of what it's like to be on the other side of the line.  The second was that, well, I felt like I needed some rust knocked off of my shooting skills. 

They gave me a patch, as I did shoot rifleman.  But when I got home I just put it in the shootbox with the other winterseed patches I have.  I have my green one.  That's enough for me.  But the students seem to like the icy patch, so I'll give them the option when handing them out, assuming the conditions are truly cold.

I'm not knocking the special patches.  If they help to bring people back, they've got my support.

Though, I did propose a new patch myself just the other day.  Solid black, with dark gray stars and bars.  For a night / reduced light appleseed.  But, I imagine that's opening a massive can of worms not related to patches.  :D  >:D
--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.