News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Escondido, CA Dec 15 2010: UCSD Marksmanship Club

Started by Francis Marion, December 14, 2010, 02:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Marion

Today a shooting range materialized out of a misty dawn.  Escondido Fish and Game is sited in exceptionally beautiful mountain country.

Mark's (4Posterity) target line was easily set up; buckets, gravel, pvc pipe, wood framework, and synthetic backer- a clean design and versatile. 

Shoot staff- Johnny Appleseed, 4Posterity, passinthru, Justin, Menelaus, and ol' FM. 

Justin pays attention to things and says what need to be said, does what needs to be done. 

JA- thanks for helping out- as always, you're an enthusiastic champion of Liberty. 

Mark shared history with spirit and depth.  Steve taught and juggled EF&G duties alongside AS duties.  It was very helpful to have you on board. 

Joseph, thank you for helping out.  You made a difference and I hope inspired people to speak out.

Fourteen shooters, mostly UCSD students. 

Morning redcoats; squares and skills; Revolutionary War Heritage.  AQTs; shooters made good use of one day. 

The fact that regular people can own, travel with, and use rifles makes for an average day in a free country, but an impossible fantasy just about anywhere else on earth.  Is it not unusual, considerable, this freedom we are entrusted to 'make good use of.'

Three shooters fired Rifleman scores on the AQT.  Marcus, James, and Joel. 

Marcus was a requalifying Rifleman this time- did he shoot that with a single shot bolt action???  Mark, please confirm if so. Well done.

James persisted from past Appleseed and earned his patch today.  Rifleman spirit. 

Joel received an unusual birthday present- he earned himself a Rifleman patch after riding in Wednesday afternoon, well, I have to say, like the cavalry.  Joel, congratulations, and thanks for shooting with us.  Again, a persistent shooter. 

I am proud of the student shooters and the challenges they willingly embraced.  Thank you all, and let's do this again.  Bring your roommates. 

Shoot straight,
-FM

passinthru

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

passinthru

^:)^Thanks to all our shooters who braved the elements to show up and take in shooting instruction and American history.  The 'elements' were So. Cal's version of 'winter' -- temps in the high 50's & low 60's -- and overcast skies with sometimes misty precip.  This was a fine group of college students from the University of California at San Diego, who are in their college's SHOOTING TEAM, and initiated the contact with Appleseed to teach them how to shoot, among other things, like history.
     Thanks to;
GEORGE
STEVEN
MIKE
SCOTT
CLAIRE
WES
JULIAN
NATE
JOSH
ALEX
TINNY
JAMES........RIFLEMAN
MARKUS......RIFLEMAN
JOEL...........RIFLEMAN
KIM
their being at least two 'dads' of students in the list.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

passinthru

Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson

passinthru

Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson

Johnnyappleseed

Never thought so much could be accomplished in 1 day  O0 Nice time management by FM and the the capable IITs ^5
After the event a few of us went to dinner ,sure was fun and informative too.
Meeting and working with the folks from UCSD I feel the liberty's we cherish will be safe in the future .

CONGRATULATIONS to the new Rifleman . It was a pleasure to see you advance into the realm of 210 plus  ;D

Thanx for the pic's Steve -- we will remember this special wed AS for a long time  ;)
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

znode

Hey everyone. James here, posting as promised.

It's a great day when you can get together with freedom-loving people, but a better day when it is with freedom-defending American riflemen. Much thanks to FM, JA, 4Posterity, passinthru, Justin, and Menelaus.

MossbergMayhem

Wes Hawkins checkin' in... Thanks for the great shoot, fellas! Brought my MOA down from 10 to 2 in one day of training!

Guess I'm not destined to be the one-gun-wonder with bead-sight shotguns for my entire life after all!

I'm bringing my own .22 to the next Appleseed shoot so I can nail that 210...!

pullnshoot25

Nate checking in here. I had a larger post planned but I do have a hard time writing lengthier stuff.

I would like to thank Francis for making this shoot happen. While I was the one that initially contacted the Appleseed Project about getting a shoot together, Francis was the one that made it to the EF&G board meeting when I could not so that we could get a range for this shoot. I cannot thank him enough for that, as this shoot was nothing short of incredible and inspiring. This shoot has truly opened my eyes and showed me what I have been missing.

I will do what I can to get more people from UCSD out on the line and trained, maybe even with non-firearms training using electronic devices for on-campus events. Let's get some affiliations going so we can make some riflemen!

CARRY ON!

-N8

Leonidas

This was a fantastic shoot, to be able to get my appleseed on in the middle of the week sure gets me going. Thank you to FM for providing me the opportunity to grow as an instructor, Justin keep up that passion that you have for the program and keep  ~~:). Passinthru a pleasure to work with you, I know we will continue to see eachother along the road. JohnnyAppleseed its always a joy to meet a salty dog, I hope to work with you again soon. 4Posterity, your words at the end of the shoot inspired many I'm sure (I know they inspired me). Now to the shooters, what a great group!!! To see so many young people out exercising their freedom and learning about the history of this great land was like a huge dose of adrenaline to me. I think it was FM who pointed out how great it was to see all these people prepping magazines for a stage of fire. N8 I hope to see you at another appleseed, I can see a rifleman patch in your future. Joel, I told you that you would get Rifleman, welcome to the club. Marcus :bow: with his SINGLE SHOT BOLT ACTION .22 tearing up that AQT blew me away (I believe he scored a 222 with something like 2 or 3 dropped shots) WOW!!!! Our hosts were absolutely awesome, I can see I will have to make a habit of visiting my north county neighbors a little more often. Julian, I hope to see you at a few more seeds before you return to France, hopefully you can take the fire and passion that you carry for shooting sports and make some change in your fellow country men and women. Thank you again FM for propose that I "Legally Change" my handle to Leonidas.

Leonidas (The orange hat formerly known as Menelaus)
California's 300Th Rifleman
"How to be Free" A young Spartans response to the question, What do you know?
"I love the People of Boston. I once thought, that City would be the Christian Sparta. But Alas! Will men never be free! They will be free no longer than while they remain virtuous. Sidney tells us, there are times when People are not worth saving. Meaning, when they have lost their Virtue. I pray God, this may never be truly said of my beloved Town." Samuel Adams

passinthru

^:)^ @@) :) O0 O0
I forgot to mention that there were TWO DADS OF STUDENTS on the line.  It's always great to see fathers shooting next to their sons.  Again, we made it through the weather window, I live 12 miles from the range and it's raining now.
     more pics;
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson

passinthru

@@) @@) ^:)^ ^:)^
Pictures tell SO much;
ending with dinner with 4 Instructor/IIT's and 4 Students,
we really have to do this again------ BRING A FRIEND!!!
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson

CSHR

Leonidas.....much better handle I think. I was tempted to ask you about 'Menelaus', if memory served me right wasn't he the cuckolded by Paris for his wife Helen which ended up starting a war with the Trojans?

Nice shoot guys  ^:)^  Passinthru told us about it and it sounded wonderful that some school team members wanted assistance.

Marcus  :bow:   :bow:   :bow: gotta see that on youtube sometime, quite an act of dexterity linked with the training......I may have to start practicing at it  ++)

CSHR

"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

SoulMan

I finally made Rifleman on my fourth Appleseed. AQT is seriously tougher than the Army IWQ. I had to do it with Francis Marion present, out of gratitude for all he has done. Thanks for all the coaching along the way.

As for the 7th Step, I have implemented the skills learned at Appleseed to measurably improve the marksmanship skills of the soldiers in my National Guard unit. One private was all over the paper, but after 45 minutes of instruction, including teaching the 6 steps of the shot and doing some ball and dummy drill, his shot group fit inside a dime!

I can't say enough about all you people at Appleseed, who take the responsibilities of ctizenship to heart. You are making a difference.

Looking forward to that orange hat...
The 1st and 2nd Amendments capture the spirit of the Constitution; the 9th and 10th, its soul.

Johnnyappleseed

We are all so proud of the effort everyone exhibited .
Congratulations to the new Rifleman and a loud Huzzah for everyone who showed persisitence .
Welcome to the forum , we will enjoy your input and hope to read your frequent contributions O0
JA

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Justin

So much to squeeze into 1 day!!! I'm just so glad everyone was able to come out! I had a great time, I have passion and therefor a seriousness about me during these things but I always have such a wonderful time. Great job to everyone and the accomplishments that were made. Hopefully we all took another step up the ladder to being a better rifleman, citizen, person, husband, wife, brother, sister: the list goes on and on. I had the unusual honor of being inspired not once, but twice this week by Southern California's "3%". Thank you all for the great day, it's something I won't forget.
"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

Leonidas

Cshr, Helen was kidnapped (From the Spartan point of view) and if you can recall in the Iliad Paris is a coward, and worse yet an archer! Paris was also the stupid enough to judge the beauty of goddesses. I'm pretty sure he had to be behind Achilles as well to make that killing blow with a poison arrow, so in summary. Menelaus = proud warrior, freeman, king, devoted husband. Paris = coward, possible kidnapper, archer. This is of course assuming the Trojan war ever really happened  ;D Though I do see my new name as more fitting considering the sacrifice Leonidas made for his people. I would love to have a deeper conversation with you about Spartan history at some point. Soul man, welcome. Don't forget Appleseed also has an Army specific program that is available for units. Thank you for all that you do to keep us free and able to enjoy this great land.

Leonidas
California's 300Th Rifleman
"If I should give to you, you will be the more a beggar; and for this unseemly conduct of yours he who first gave you is responsible, for he thus made you lazy." A Spartan to a beggar
"I love the People of Boston. I once thought, that City would be the Christian Sparta. But Alas! Will men never be free! They will be free no longer than while they remain virtuous. Sidney tells us, there are times when People are not worth saving. Meaning, when they have lost their Virtue. I pray God, this may never be truly said of my beloved Town." Samuel Adams

snowbird

Just wanted to thank everyone for another fun and successful AS shoot! It was great being able to meet the instructors and shoot alongside my fellow marksmen. Also, thanks to passinthru for taking and posting all those pictures. Now we can all say that the UCSD Marksmanship AS shoot really happened. Thank you to all the instructors who helped tremendously, to all the shooters who made this experience wonderful, and to the UCSD Marksmanship Club for making this happen.

Congrats to all the new (and repeat) Riflemen! I'm very proud of you all!

Also, Nate was right. I (Claire) am a member of this forum... as snowbird...

Johnnyappleseed

Nice to see you on the forum snowbird .

I noticed you shooting 6 minute groups , so your getting close  O0

JA
Calvin Coolidge

Johnnyappleseed

This event had lots of really good elements
All staff worked well together . Shoot had  the right amount of teaching and history --7th step etc.
The line calling by IITS was  perfect as to cadence and timing .

The attendee's ,lots of college students  from UCSD ,were an absolute joy to be around .
Those I talked with at dinner were all well versed in America's foundation .

I even heard that UC Berkely has the largest Republican club of any UC college in Ca.

I hope others will add to this AAR ---
Calvin Coolidge

passinthru

;D ;D ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ;) ;) ; :) :)
There is a write up of our A.S. shoot in the Escondido Fish and Game Assn's January newsletter.
Go here;

http://www.escondidofishandgame.com

and scroll to page 2.

The next close by Appleseed is at Rainbow in January,   also at Dulzura the end of January

M E R R Y  C H R I S T M A S   T O    A L L  !!!!!!..............................steve
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson