News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Billings 11th and 12th

Started by Gremlin, December 12, 2010, 07:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gremlin

The car is unpacked, Kirk is in the showers.  Two very intensive days of shooting.  We only had three shooters, but they were great.  My best score was was 206, my son Kirk's best was 198.  Between us we shot over 1500 rounds of ammunition.  It was so close I could taste it.  Denise(sp?) was even closer.  One more AQT and I think she would have had it.  To bad the sun was done before we were.  She even shot a perfect Red Coat, way to go!

I'd like to extend a special thank you to The Count.  Day two, just myself and my son shooting.  He hung out for six long hours watching use creep closer, and closer without every quite getting that coveted patch.

I'd also like to say thank you to Clodhopper.  His intensive instruction on NPOA, dragging wood, and relaxed support hand brought my score from 130 to 170 in a single step.  He's also one of the most gifted history tellers I've ever met.  I could listen to him all day.  You would  have been proud of the groups I was shooting on day two!

I didn't catch the avatar handles for our two IITs, but I really appreciate their coming out on this snowy wet weekend.  They are a great addition to this program and I hope to join their ranks someday soon.

I hope to see you all again on April 16th or sooner if I can swing it!

Mark Davis

Gremlin,
The other two instructors are John "BEEMER" From livingston He does not spend much time on the Web. And Tyson "THBURR" From this side of the bozo pass.
I may get some free time in January. If you are up for a road trip to beautiful Three Forks there are two ranges we could use. Do not hesitate to send a PM with questions on marksmanship or shooting days.
I am on the website nearly everyday.

We had a chilly morning on Sat with icy roads getting to the range. Before fireing little pathways needed to be shoveled in the snow in order to see the targets from prone.
No snow fell on us Saturday but the concrete fireing line had lumps of ice frozen to it so shooters needed to squirm around some for a flat spot to plant their elbows.
The midday air temp must have been all the way up to +29 and the ice on the fireing line cover even melted a bit from the sun around noon, with calm winds. down right balmy. maybe only desert tan rifleman patches should have been available.

Necee

It was a great Saturday on the firing line- even though I was frozen in the morning :)  I have to admit I was pretty frustrated early on with some equipment issues etc, but we pushed through and hit some pretty consistant AQT scores.  I was so sad I couldn't stay for todays shooting but I guess I'll have to find another one to drive to! 

Thanks to The Count, Clodhopper, Thburr and Beemer for their help and just plain taking the time so I could keep trying.  Maybe 3rd time is the charm!  Thanks also to Gremlin and Kirk for making it possible for us to be at such an awesome range and sharing the line!  Thank you, I was pretty happy to finish with a clean Redcoat too  ^-^

Pa Rah

What no pictures? Shoveling snow just to see the targets in prone? I think a new patch category maybe in order.  :bow:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Ronald Reagan

Gremlin

Temperatures on Saturday started out at 18 degrees, but by noon they were about 32.  With a little sun shine that is pretty warm.  On the firing line I wasn't wearing a coat or gloves, just a hat, a vest, and some long underwear.  The only time you really needed extra warmth at those temps was while listening to the history.  Sunday was even warmer, we definately finished the day above freezing, my pants were soaked through.

Mark Davis

The Count took the pictures, Him being from across the border in Wyoming might not even find this thread.

Necee

Clod- I took your advice and caved on getting a new scope....we'll see if it helps!  My "armor" guy is telling me he has some work to do on my rifle anyway.... I really wanted one of those patches too....

Gremlin- that's great scoring!!!  Sounds like you had some fun on Sunday too.  I have to add that when I got out of my truck Saturday morning it said it was 11 degrees...but I'm sure by shooting time it was a LITTLE warmer  ;) 

TheCount

Quote from: clodhopper on December 13, 2010, 09:23:49 AM
Him being from across the border in Wyoming might not even find this thread.
Nope, I'm here... have just been busy since I got home last night.  I'll post my  pictures / comments a little later today... sorry for the delay.

We should see about getting this thread moved to the appropriate AAR forum though.

Western Rose

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

TheCount

First official Montana Winterseed in the books!   Honestly, I was on the fence about calling it a Winterseed.   I mean temps in the 20's and 30's ain't nothing for these parts.  I'd almost rather have that then sweltering in the heat.  Still it was a bit nippy in the mornings and afternoons.   Not to mention the dire predictions of snow, freezing rain and ice pellets for Sunday...   that never really materialized.    Oh well, we can always hope for "better" weather next time.   ;)

It was nice to see there are at least three folks in Montana that have the moxie to brave the elements and make it out to do some shooting.   Not too mention the dedication of the three members of the Instructor Corps willing to forsake home and hearth.

Really proud of our three shooters: Gremlin, Kirk and Necee.   Great work!   I believe that this was the second 'seed for all three of ya'll, and it showed.   You all demonstrated measurable progress and ended up right at the cusp of scoring a 210+.   With a little bit of practice I know that you'll make it.

Although we didn't make any new Rifleman, I was proud to give Beemer and Clodhopper Winterseed patches for demonstrating their commitment to maintaining their marksmanship skills.   I believe that Beemer achieved a new high score of 225.  Clodhopper shot 232 and 226 - right and left handed respectively - quite impressive - I can't hardly get on paper shooting left.  

Necee, I was really impressed by your perfect Redcoat to close out Saturday.   I consider that quite the accomplishment.   I've only seen it done a few times.

Germlin, thanks for putting the effort into making this shoot happen and for your assistance getting the range setup.   I really enjoyed it... just wish we had a few more folks turn up.   From the number of shooters that showed up on the range to zero their rifles from those concrete equipment holders, I would say that there are plenty of folks that won't let weather hold them back from shooting... just need to get them to an Appleseed.   Talked to a few folks, so maybe, just maybe, we might have drummed up some future business.

TheCount

Oh and BTW, that heat tree in the pictures wasn't our idea... but seeing how the range was nice enough to provide it, we really couldn't turn it down...

thburr

Better late than never. 
It was good to meet some new folks the Count, Gremlin, and Kirk.  Sounds like Gremlin and Kirk will get there Rifleman next time and I think Necee will hit it a couple of times in practice before the next shoot.
Gremlin, thanks for lining up the range it was one of the nicest ranges I've been on. 
Count, Clodhopper, and Beamer it was nice working with three experts it helps me see how it should be done.
Instructing is a learning experience like everything else next time I'll be a little more polished.

Mark Davis

We should be able to have an mini appleseed at Logan.
We know that's close enough to siberia for an icicle patch.

Western Rose

Quote from: The Count on December 13, 2010, 09:33:55 PM
I believe that Beemer achieved a new high score of 225.  Clodhopper shot 232 and 226 - right and left handed respectively - quite impressive - I can't hardly get on paper shooting left.   

O0 O0 O0
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

BEEMER

Well I just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed my first "Winterseed". I applaud all who are willing to brave the elements to work on their skills.  Count , thanks for the testing of my knowledge,   shows me areas to work on. Ahhhh winter a great time to learn just how difficult it is to manipulate things in the cold.
Cheers
John