News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Woman's Shooting Gear

Started by Who_Me?, December 07, 2010, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who_Me?

Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone knows where to get a shooting jacket or vest that is designed for woman. The only vest I could find was $60 and PINK $$-0 (pink is only ok when it's my rifle). Any info would be much appreciated :)

Lizzy :cool2:
"Heritage is history you care about" - Fred

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

doubleLL

Hi Lizzy,
  The green rifleman jacket from Fred's is good http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/acc.asp (tell them you want just the jacket.)  You can have it tailored so it isn't big on you. I got my coat from the Creedmoor sports. 

I know that Cabela's had a pink and brown vest.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browningreg-Womens-Shooting-Vest/753892.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwoman%2527s%2Bvest%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=woman%27s+vest

I find most of my shooting stuff online, I usually have no luck in the stores.  :)

"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

Fuzzy

I found women's camo jacket and pants (gortex) Browning on sale at SierraTradingPost - on line.  They also had women's hunting boots.  Cabela's has some women's hunting clothes but I can also fit into the youth large or xL tops and they are cheaper.

Check out Orvis as well.  There is also a new brand called SHE outdoor - rather expensive I thought.

Seems more hunting clothing than just shooting.  Good luck and let me know what you find.

Who_Me?

Thanks for the help! I'll see what both of your suggestions are like and report back  :) The only problem is that as an IIT, I can't wear camo unless I have permission from the range, and it would stink to not be able to wear my coat.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Dangerous Cook

I got a very nice "upland" shooting jacket from She Safari.  http://www.shesafari.com/v2/upland.php
It is a little spendy, but it sure did the trick at my last Appleseed when it was cold and damp.  It doesn't have the reinforced elbows, but for cold weather it didn't matter. I've got a man's shooting jacket that I'm going to put on my dress form and alter to fit me appropriately.  I would think if you knew a good tailor, or a friend who sews if you don't that might make it work for you.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
― Robert A. Heinlein

DieslPwrd

Got a new line coming out soon, no pink and no camo I promise!  Will PM you when a sample is ready.
Being born free is a privilege. Living free is an honor. Dying free is a responsibility. - LTC David Grossman

doubleLL

@ dieslpwrd- can you pm me when the sample is ready as well?
@ Dangerous Cook- THANKS For the she safari link- I took a look and have several items I am interested in. AWESOME! ^:)^
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

plinker

Creedmore
Champion Shooting Supply
Champion's Choice
Monard
Kurt Thune (Very $$$$$)

or you can keep an eye out on some of the gun boards for used equipment from Hawkeye, Freeland's, etc.  I've put one of the Anschutz jackets from Creedmore on my "Want" List!

DieslPwrd

DoubleL, yes I will PM you. Thanks for your interest.

Being born free is a privilege. Living free is an honor. Dying free is a responsibility. - LTC David Grossman

nyrasgt

Folks,
  Coached HS coed team - most captains were female as they were vastly better shots than, well, boys...calmer, more focussed, etc...took great coaching seminar once with Launi Meili, Olympic gold medalist and current college coach...
  Concur re Champ Choice or Creedmore - if wishing to upgrade beyond Fred's jacket, suggest either Basic or Deluxe coats from Creedmore - for this discipline don't need leather...though kneeling roll (if using said position) and glove might be useful...
   Wait till snipers' ranks opened to women in military; think Hathcock was good...wait. Believe we already give women A-10 Warthogs...perfect.
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Who_Me?

Well, I have checked out every single one of your links and I am about to go bonkers %) . Someone should make a website or catalog with all of the stuff in one place, that would be really handy. I found a sweater that I really like actually http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=947 and my mom found a vest http://www.mosquitocreek.com/Bob-Allen-250W-Womens-Shooting-Vest/productinfo/BT250W/.
@ DieslPwrd, I would love to hear when your new line comes out.
@ nyrasgt, just wait the ranks will open up soon enough  ;)

Lizzy

The Mrs.

DieslPwrd please put me on your notification list when your line comes out.

Thanks!!
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

DieslPwrd

Will post here, ya'll!  Thanks for your interest.

Cooper

Quote from: nyrasgt on December 25, 2010, 01:20:24 PM
Believe we already give women A-10 Warthogs...perfect.

You are correct madMark, I have met 2 female Warthog drivers that flew missions in the 'Stan.  One of them flew her bird back safely with only one engine, half the starboard wing missing and most of the tail blown off.
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Ol Kev

Quote from: doubleLL on December 07, 2010, 09:13:49 PM
Hi Lizzy,
  The green rifleman jacket from Fred's is good http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/acc.asp (tell them you want just the jacket.)  You can have it tailored so it isn't big on you. I got my coat from the Creedmoor sports. 

I know that Cabela's had a pink and brown vest.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browningreg-Womens-Shooting-Vest/753892.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwoman%2527s%2Bvest%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=woman%27s+vest

I find most of my shooting stuff online, I usually have no luck in the stores.  :)

I would be curious to know how those USMC jackets size up for women. They are men's jackets in the first place, and supposedly cut large. I'm thinking about getting one for my wife but I'm having trouble translating how, for example, if you normally have women's large jacket or sweater, what to order in this. And if they are cut large, do the guys usually order up their normal size or drop back one?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
"Their guns are rifled barrels, and they fight in ambush, five hundred provincials would stop the march of five thousand regulars. And a whole army might be cut off, without knowing where the fire came from"
- Gentleman's Magazine, 1775
Americans have the right and advantages of being armed - unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
- James Madison, The Federalist Papers

Ratchett

Ol Kev,

I have ordered jackets from the web site below. Good jackets. they are cut larger than what a ladies cut would be, but fit better than the one I have from Fred's. I was told by another Instructor that medium is all they have right now, so may work for you.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/usmc-shooters-jacket-4906.cfm

Best wishes in your quest!

In His Grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

AK

I got my shooting jacket from filson.com.  I really like it.
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

Who_Me?

@Nurse Ratchett. Ahhhh, the army surplus warehouse. A wonderful web site, but not really what I'm looking for, I'm super picky. Unfortunately.

@AK. I looked at filson.com and I saw a shooting shirt that looked promising, then I looked at the price. I'm pretty sure I looked like this  :o

I think I'm just going to get a surplus coat from where my dad got his (you can sorta see it in my picture) and then I'll find a tailor or tailor it myself. I think I'll tailor it myself because one, I'm cheep and two I want to be able to adjust the coat if I gain wight (or lose it, but lets not talk crazy) I'll post pictures of the finished coat

nyrasgt

Female shooters,
   Creedmore has ladies' sizes - brief how-to-measure video, and fairly solid phone assistance.  Suggest their Deluxe cloth jacket (appx $120) way to go...more support and durability than the thin, shirt-material USMC/Fred's coats.  Down-side is waaaaaay harder to sew anything on the thicker Creedmore coats w/out industrial machine...
   Concur re comments on women snipers/Hog drivers:  on my former scholastic Varsity 3-pos team, most Captains were women, as were most of best shots (including the seven [!] Eagle Scouts I had on the team over the years).  Breaking up guy fights are piece of cake, as guys fight for honor-macho-ness, or stupidity (same difference)...women fight for KEEPS (and, hopefully, blood).
    So, naturally, the miilitary gives women a 30mm GAU8 Avenger @ 3900 roundspm and places 80% of its rounds in a 40 ft circle from 4000 ft in flight... if my math skills are correct (and chances are they're not),
if 4 MOA @ 500 yds = 20" then 4 MOA @ 3/4 mile (4000 ft) = 30".  40 ft circle = 480" and  480 divided by 30 = 16 x 4 = 64 MOA (the 40 ft circle into which the 80% of explosive (among other things) rounds strike...Captain Davis could have used a couple of A10 airstrikes on Lex green...
   Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists

Armed_Liberal

I'm looking for a shooter's jacket, myself, and I like the jackets that Fred has... but there's no way I'll fit in a medium (maybe back when I was in the USAF, but not now). Realistically, I need a 2XL. Any suggestions?

nyrasgt

AL,
    Several possibilities:
1)  Fred's does have 2XL and 3XL jackets on his site; they're regular cotton shirt material with some padding added...lightweight...
2)  CMP web site and catalog lists cloth jackets @ $75....appear to be similar to
3)  Creedmore Basic cloth jacket @ about the same $$, as well as listing a heavier-duty("Deluxe") cloth coat at about $125, or
4)  Champion's  Choice cloth @ $65...
  All but Fred's have catalogs - all have web sites...
Excelsior,
madMark
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists

Armed_Liberal

I didn't see any 2XL's on Fred's site; maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place? I've heard many a recommendation of his shooter jackets (and the color matches the Rifleman patch!).

Also, anyone going to the Ladyseed shoot at the Winnequah (sp?) Range in Lodi, WI? I'm thinking off attending; it'll be my second Appleseed & first Ladyseed, having attended the shoot in Shiocton this last weekend (I shot a 180; I need to work on my foundations in the prone position).

In solidarity,
Morgan
Aka Armed_Liberal

Quote from: nyrasgt on June 08, 2011, 01:49:19 AM
AL,
    Several possibilities:
1)  Fred's does have 2XL and 3XL jackets on his site; they're regular cotton shirt material with some padding added...lightweight...
2)  CMP web site and catalog lists cloth jackets @ $75....appear to be similar to
3)  Creedmore Basic cloth jacket @ about the same $$, as well as listing a heavier-duty("Deluxe") cloth coat at about $125, or
4)  Champion's  Choice cloth @ $65...
  All but Fred's have catalogs - all have web sites...
Excelsior,
madMark

jmdavis

http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Cloth_Coats-467.aspx

I have a couple of coats from Champion's Choice and find them to be high quality. The cloth coats above have good rubber patches that many find helpful.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

MsMtnEagle

I found a genuine USMC shooting jacket on Ebay!  Measurements were the size I was looking for, and the really great news is that it was located just 30 minutes from where I live so I saved on shipping costs!   ^:)^  Now, when I tried it on, the fit was great almost everywhere, but, I did "customize" the back of the jacket by running a length of elastic thru the waist area (there was a sewn in type of seam there anyway, so I just ran elastic thru that) Turned out perfect!  I even got many compliments on it at Camp  Perry last year, including my shooting instructor!  I hope you find the right jacket, try on as many as you can before you buy. 
Pam
MsMtnEagle
"I never said it would be easy, I said it would be worth it"
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"  
"What would you choose to do today if you KNEW that you would succeed?"