News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gun Show Report--WITH PICTURES!

Started by ndrifleman, November 29, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ndrifleman

The Minot Gun Show this Saturday (Nov. 27) was a success for the ND branch of Project Appleseed!  There was a lot of interest from people across the state, most of whom had not heard of the program although several did refer to Fred's column in Shotgun News.  I gave away plenty of brochures and flyers in addition to a few chamber flags.  The latter were a hot item for some people because they had seen them used as various competitions but didn't have their own.  I hadn't seen it mentioned before, but I would recommend having some on hand to pass out.  A banner would have been nice.

That's me in the picture, but my brother, Andrew, joined me at the booth.  He isn't an IIT yet but he looks good in an AS shirt and an Orange Hat.  

I was also introduced to the President of the Williston Gun Club, who offered to help get some shoots on the schedule after the 1st of the year.  He was very positive about Appleseed, and had already heard about the program.
"Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand. " Psalm 149:6

"The glorious inheritance which our fathers left us we must never betray.We must seize the torch from their hands, and transmit it with increasing brightness to distant generations." James Thornwell

AFTERMATH

Look!  Pictures!  It did happen! :o

Way to go!  You'll have them Dakotans starving for Appleseeds in no time!

O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

sparks1

Great job !!! Getting the information out is huge. I like the way you did the layout. Very eye catching, A banner wasn't necessary...IMHO.

I foresee having to do some traveling out west for a few Appleseeds next summer. I'll have to bring my tent stakes. Last time I about blew away.  :wb: :wb:
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

hawkhavn

NDRifleman,

Way to take the initiative and run with it!
Any tips or tricks you can pass along to the folks that have not done one yet?

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

TruTenacity

Great work!  Thanks for posting pictures.  It provides ideas for others working Gun shows.

TT
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

ndrifleman

The most important realization was that it is actually difficult to get people to take brochures or flyers--you need to virtually force it into their hand.  Of all the people that walked by, to my knowledge only three or four actually took the initiative and took a brochure.  Everybody else, I had to watch for the slightest interest on their face and then say, "Have you heard of Project Appleseed before?"

"HUH???" (They lean forward)

"Project Appleseed is a nationwide program of rifle marksmanship and history instruction (said as you are passing a brochure).  We teach everything you need to know to keep all your shots in a 20" target at 500 yards, all the while connecting it to the story of Lexington and Concord where we first whipped the Redcoats."

A few guys were old Marines from Vietnam (one a sniper) who knew all the techniques, but were enthusiastic to see the tradition being passed on.  One was interested in becoming an instructor so I took his contact info.

Like I mentioned, it was nice to have chamber flags to pass out instead of the usual pens or candy.

Several guys did a double take on the "Revolutionary War Veterans Association" label on the shirts.  "you know they're all dead, right?"

Reply:  It depends which revolutionary war you're talking about.  (It's in the hearts and minds of people)

"Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand. " Psalm 149:6

"The glorious inheritance which our fathers left us we must never betray.We must seize the torch from their hands, and transmit it with increasing brightness to distant generations." James Thornwell