News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Quail Creek- DFW Jan. 8-9th

Started by doubleLL, January 09, 2011, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubleLL

Texas's first Winterseed!!

I was reminded of several things during this shoot. 1.) If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 5 minutes. 2.) Being warm and dry trump looks any day!

We had a FABULOUS weekend. Saturday we had 16 re-reg and 14 show. The weather was beautiful, sunny and warm. The shooters were a great group, shooting excellent groups from the start. Charles_W started off the day with an outstanding first strike and ended the day with the third strike. Spitstickler delivered a touching second strike over lunch. We received many compliments for our history and instruction from the shooters.

We had two new orange hats, thesheepdog and M4FNG. You both set the bar high, actively engaging the shooters, modeling the positions, RSO'ing, and calling the line all on your first shoot!!! You guys will make excellent instructors and I look forward to instructing with you both again.  All the shooters paid good attention to their muzzles as well as others around them, enabling us to have a very safe shoot.

Sunday- we started the day with temps near freezing with rain. The range is adequately named Quail Creek for a reason. Spitstickler and Starfox both brought out the canopies which kept the shooters semi dry but not from sinking in the mud. The temps dropped at about 10am below freezing giving us snow. The snow was beautiful as it covered up all the mud with a white blanket. We shot our first and last AQT as the snow was falling. We broke for lunch at 12 and shared some dangerous old men and woman stories. The range informed us that the roads were getting worse and they were shutting down so we had to call the day at 1.

The highlight of Sunday event our rifleman. Patrick shot in the high 190's on Saturday and turned out a WHOMPING score of 218! I will add he shot in mud, water, and snow to produce the score. He consistently shot tight groups and preserved through all the challenges Mother Nature threw at us!!  

I want to thank all the Instructors: Charles_W, M4FNG, thesheepdog, Spitstickler, and Starfox who worked the event this weekend. You guys are a dedicated and hardy group. **Special thanks to Mrs. Charles_W for cooking the instructor dinner. We had homemade chili with all the fixings and dessert!!**

Promotions: Charles_W passed his IIT4 PC. thesheepdog and M4FNG
passed their IIT1 PC.
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

doubleLL

More photos
Davilla 3-10

doubleLL

More Photos part 2
Davilla 3-10

doubleLL

and more photos
Davilla 3-10

doubleLL

and More photos- when it snows in Texas all the cameras come out......
Davilla 3-10

spitstickler

What a COOL weekend!

We really did have a good group of participants out this weekend. Sunday morning the person in the office at the range was viewing the weather forecast and he said, "Do you really think anyone is actually going to show up in this?"

Rain, sleet, snow, football playoffs and other couch type activities could have made an easy excuse for anyone not to come out and work on improving their marksmanship and hearing the events of April 19th. But, you folks did it this weekend and it definitely says a lot about you as individuals. It was a pleasure to be in your company this weekend.  :bow:

...and say what?

This event was staffed by a local DFW instructor crew. We're growing and we are going to make a difference in this country!

All you Facebook users can start 7th stepping and help spread the word easily.

Find us here: http://www.facebook.com/AppleseedTexas  
Give us a like  O0 and share your experience with all your friends.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

POP

Lauren,
what a great AAR ... and all the pics.  WOW.
Your point about Texas WX is well taken.  We had bucket loads this morning at 4a.m. of Pea and Marble size Hail here in Corpus Christi.  Ten minutes earlier I was sound asleep and warm. 

Speaking of warm, your second point about warm trumps looks?  While the premise itself is well taken, here in Texas we gott'em both, nice to have you on board.  ::)

What impressed me most about this shoot, however, is Patrick shooting a 218 in the MUD in the COLD in the SNOW.  Way to throw that lead downrange, Patrick.

and for Charles_W passed his IIT3 PC. thesheepdog and M4FNG
passed their IIT1 PC, Keep Climbing.  I look forward to working a shoot with you this year.  Spit and Charles on History?  I guess I need to come to QC to hear ya'll do the strikes.  BTW, SPIT, what color hat are ya wearin' these days?  Hmmm.

And, last and best of all, Appleseed Instructors like to eat.  Thank you Mrs. Charles W for taking care of the instructor crew.  Now I know I need to come to QC.

Good Job everyone.   O0
POP
:~ :~ :~ ^:)^ ..:.. ..:.. ..:..

Quote from: doubleLL on January 09, 2011, 10:16:02 PM
Texas's first Winterseed!!

I was reminded of several things during this shoot. 1.) If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 5 minutes. 2.) Being warm and dry trump looks any day!

We had a FABULOUS weekend. Saturday we had 16 re-reg and 14 show. The weather was beautiful, sunny and warm. The shooters were a great group, shooting excellent groups from the start. Charles_W started off the day with an outstanding first strike and ended the day with the third strike. Spitstickler delivered a touching second strike over lunch. We received many compliments for our history and instruction from the shooters.

We had two new orange hats, thesheepdog and M4FNG. You both set the bar high, actively engaging the shooters, modeling the positions, RSO'ing, and calling the line all on your first shoot!!! You guys will make excellent instructors and I look forward to instructing with you both again.  All the shooters paid good attention to their muzzles as well as others around them, enabling us to have a very safe shoot.

Sunday- we started the day with temps near freezing with rain. The range is adequately named Quail Creek for a reason. Spitstickler and Starfox both brought out the canopies which kept the shooters semi dry but not from sinking in the mud. The temps dropped at about 10am below freezing giving us snow. The snow was beautiful as it covered up all the mud with a white blanket. We shot our first and last AQT as the snow was falling. We broke for lunch at 12 and shared some dangerous old men and woman stories. The range informed us that the roads were getting worse and they were shutting down so we had to call the day at 1.

The highlight of Sunday event our rifleman. Patrick shot in the high 190's on Saturday and turned out a WHOMPING score of 218! I will add he shot in mud, water, and snow to produce the score. He consistently shot tight groups and preserved through all the challenges Mother Nature threw at us!!  

I want to thank all the Instructors: Charles_W, M4FNG, thesheepdog, Spitstickler, and Starfox who worked the event this weekend. You guys are a dedicated and hardy group. **Special thanks to Mrs. Charles_W for cooking the instructor dinner. We had homemade chili with all the fixings and dessert!!**

Promotions: Charles_W passed his IIT3 PC. thesheepdog and M4FNG
passed their IIT1 PC.

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

charles_w

This was an Appleseed to remember!  Saturday was a nearly perfect Texas winter day -- sunny and comfortable.  And, we had a fantastic group of shooters.  They shot some very nice groups and all had great attitudes!

Sunday was a little different!  The cold rain and the mud really provided opportunities that we seldom get in this part of the country.  But, we had a persevering group that really showed what they are made of!  One guy was even in short sleeves on Sunday while he was shooting!

It was an honor to work with the shooters on both days.  Patrick -- again, congrats on earning the Winterseed patch!

Our all DFW area instructor group was also great to work with.  DoubleLL does an outstanding job as shoot boss and StarFox, Spit, thesheepdog, and M4FNG are all excellent to work with.  I look forward to working with each one of you again soon!

starfox

Not much to add other than it was an exciting event to have the first Texas Winterseed and our very first Winterseed Rifleman in Patrick!  All the shooters did well on Saturday and were showing improvement.  We only managed to get in two AQTs before the weather forced the range to call it, but I think the shooters all got an appreciation for the marksmanship and will be back at future events.

And man, it's amazing how much heavier one can look with 20lbs of winter gear on.   **)  Still being warm and relatively dry trumps fashion.

As spitstickler noted, this event was staffed entirely by DFW-area instructors.  DoubleLL and myself are very thankful for our fellow instructors, charles_w, thesheepdog, and M4FNG for stepping up and being dedicated to advancing up the instructor ranks.  With potentially two more ranges coming onboard in 2011, we will need all the high quality instructors we can get in the area.  You guys are setting the standard for sure!   :bow:

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10