News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sidesaddle Round Holder for Kid's Cricket Rifle (Prototype)

Started by techres, November 24, 2010, 09:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

I have always been impressed by the cricket rifle for it's compactness and accuracy.  Trigger is not amazing, but for a kids first rifle it is realy wicked accurate.

Often I see them at events in the hands of small kids and the only real issue with the rifle is trying to keep up with time.  First it is a bolt, add to that the single shot and hand cock and there is a major time constraint.  But the worst problem with using it is the lack of quick access to the next round.

Scout mentioned before using duct tape to hold rounds on the side of the rifle, but looking at shotgun sidesaddles, I figure why not do the same for the cricket?  So here is the prototype made of kydex, plastic tubing and jb weld. I did not have any black spraypaint so we went with the spare purple (plus my daughters love purple):

We attempted angled round positioning for minimal rotation of each round in the the chamber during rapid load.  Also note the retaining mechanism that holds the round high but keeps the rim clear so that it can be grasped with thumb and index finger just as they clear the eject action with the bolt:

And for the user, this is what you see in operation.  Ten rounds of 22lr waiting for you to get it going and on target as fast as any mosin (and likely faster):

Since we require ammo to remain on the mat during transition stages, that had to be workable too.  This is why the side saddle is completely removable and position-able:

Oh yeah!  Our kids deserve all the tacticool we can give them, and every bit of it should actually improve their game some if we are smart!

I will field this at Riley this weekend to see how well she does.  I swear that this cricket will do 210+ in a real event (and without the bipod), it's just a matter of working out the kinks.

And yes, the final version might look better in black,
Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Reddot

Very clever!
Thanks for sharing. 
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

JustJeff

Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

MacMcM

Techres,

For Phase II, raise the tubes up so the rims are higher above the backing plate, and turn the "stop" toward the muzzle end.

Phase III double stack the rounds 5 and 5 so little arms don't have to reach so far forward.

I really like this innovation. I will make some of these over the Holidays too.

Good job!

Mac (yeah I'm an engineer... anything worth having is worth experimenting with LOL)
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

GoldFish

Genius, Techres, stinkin' genius!!! :bow:  I've seen many children give up at events while shooting crickets due to the problems you mentioned.  This at least helps eliminates most of the common, and will hopefully give many more children a better AS experience! O0
Thanks for sharing. :)

---GF
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

techres

Quote from: MacMcM on November 24, 2010, 10:09:34 AM
Techres,

For Phase II, raise the tubes up so the rims are higher above the backing plate, and turn the "stop" toward the muzzle end.

Phase III double stack the rounds 5 and 5 so little arms don't have to reach so far forward.

I really like this innovation. I will make some of these over the Holidays too.

Good job!

Mac (yeah I'm an engineer... anything worth having is worth experimenting with LOL)

Great minds think alike.  I was thinking instead of inline, taking half, doubling up and also pivoting them out slightly on an angle.  The key is keeping the holder from getting in the way of fingers.  I am also making a base that the holder goes into on the mat to keep from spilling out rounds when transition happens and the mat shakes.

Looking forward to your version,
Techres

Evenstar

'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Western Rose

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

therealsteamer

I did something similar about a year ago for a Winchester Model 55...

While sorting through and organizing my tools I ended up with several "screwdriver bit" holders of various flavors.  The ones that caught my eye were the strips with 10 slots.  While the bits that fit in the slots are .25" if I took a long #2 phillips and "bored" through the bottom it produced a hole large enough to firmly hold a lead head.  This left the rims elevated enough for grasping, however the rounds can be pushed all the way down and with a slight upward push the rims are revealed again.  These strips were then epoxied to slightly larger pieces of 1/4" ply so that they could be screwed to the stock (Why didn't I think of Velcro..aagghh)  This little rig has been attached to the 55 for about a year and I have 3 duplicates on standby... it works..

Excellent job Techres. Thanks for the reminder about Velcro...

Earl

Great work and ideas, maybe I won't have to drill into my Stevens Target Rifle stock, this looks like some answers. Thanks.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

TruTenacity

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

techres

Tested under the clock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdI1reKSj7A

Works decently.  48 in standing and 98 in prone.  Spilled ammo in both transitions which left me with 180.  It is workable and 210 is definitely possible.

TN_Dadx5

I've been following this thread as I have a 7 year old daughter learning on a Savage Cub and she needs something to hold her rounds.  I noticed you fumbling once or twice, was that something that needs fixing or just the size of adult hands?

Also, where can someone get kydex?

Thanks,
Charlie
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

techres

Quote from: TN_Dadx5 on March 28, 2011, 01:41:20 PM
I've been following this thread as I have a 7 year old daughter learning on a Savage Cub and she needs something to hold her rounds.  I noticed you fumbling once or twice, was that something that needs fixing or just the size of adult hands?

Also, where can someone get kydex?

Thanks,
Charlie

Fumbling is due to no feed ramp on the rifle and full sized fingers.  It is difficult. If the round or shell drops into the action, it is easier to turn the rifle over and drop it out.  I did that once in the video IIRC.  The whole thing is a fun challenge.

As for the kydex, I bought it on ebay ages ago for making my son some armor.  This was leftovers. 

Techres

SPQR

I snickered the whole time when you did it and I snickered till I had tears in my eyes when i watched it on youtube.

i especially like that small look of "told ya so" after #10.  good shootin.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter