News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Full sized STEEL AR500 D-target GROUP BUY...NM Interest?

Started by nmmi9100, November 30, 2010, 10:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmmi9100

Folks:

I sent out a PM to several of you but as usual, I hit the enter key and the darn thing sent before it was intended to be sent.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18937.msg151399;topicseen#msg151399

"AROMATIC", one of our Texas Instructor neighbors, is working with bobcat steel to produce FULL SIZED (to the 4 ring) D-targets out of plasma cut 3/8"  AR500.  These are some serious targets and would be a major asset to us for running known distance shoots...maybe even scale the 4/5 line on them and have scoreable FD-AQT.

Anyway, these things are $128 each if AROMATIC can get an order together for 39 or more of them.  I'm in for two.  Please post if you are interested.  To save shipping, it makes sense if we can have them all shipped to one person...then that person can distribute them to the other instructors at shoots or as we travel.  I'm willing to accept them if we need too.  My wife is a stay at home mom.

Please post to this thread ASAP if you are interested.  Then PM AROMATIC that you would like to add X number of targets to the New Mexico order.  No cash needed now.  We need to see if he can get the 39 units together first.

Also, not sure where AROMATIC is from in Texas but if he's from somewhere in West Texas, we might could get tacked onto his order for shipping, then I could pickup in Dalhart, Lubbock, Midland, Abilene, or vicinity or if in El Paso, Dan or Gill could likely pickup.

Thanks,

-David
Edgewood, NM  

Devnull

"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

nmmi9100

Ok.  So right now we have the following interest in Full sized D-targets from AROMATIC:

NMMI9100 (David):  2

Devnull (Chris):  2

TaosGlock (Dan):  1

Duc-dog (Milt):  2

Devnull

Think about this, if we all pick up a couple we could have a full steel KD AQT! How cool would THAT be! All we need is three more.

Instructor KD clinic in January anyone?  O0
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

eaglescouter

Quote from: Devnull on November 30, 2010, 02:48:09 PM
Think about this, if we all pick up a couple we could have a full steel KD AQT! How cool would THAT be! All we need is three more.

That's my plan, I just need to figure out how to pay for them....
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

TaosGlock

Yes, we will get any deliveries that make it to El Paso!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

jmdavis

With known rifles and the Riflemen who know them, steel makes a good alternative practice tool. But it is not good for zeroing, doesn't give you detailed feedback on hit location, and is expensive.

Don't get me wrong. I shoot steel, but one of the things that I learned from VAShooter that has made me a better Rifleman and instructor is the value of the feedback of paper targets. With the paper, I have more detailed data of my hit locations. I can log this data in my book and use it in the future.

Use steel, but remember the value of those simple paper targets. If you use them effectively you will become a better shooter.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

nmmi9100

Quote from: jmdavis on November 30, 2010, 04:19:42 PM
With known rifles and the Riflemen who know them, steel makes a good alternative practice tool. But it is not good for zeroing, doesn't give you detailed feedback on hit location, and is expensive.

Don't get me wrong. I shoot steel, but one of the things that I learned from VAShooter that has made me a better Rifleman and instructor is the value of the feedback of paper targets. With the paper, I have more detailed data of my hit locations. I can log this data in my book and use it in the future.

Use steel, but remember the value of those simple paper targets. If you use them effectively you will become a better shooter.

Solution = shoot smaller STEEL targets.  Wideners sells some nice 5" rounds that work great for precision work at a few hundred yards.   I shoot them  out to 400 & 500 yards with my 5R.  And battle rifles out to 100 and 200.

But as for Appleseed, we're not into creating PRECISION shooters, we're into creating GOOD ENOUGH 4 MOA shooters.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Jerry Hall

Howdy All.

I can either pick up or receive, if shipped to EP. Then take a day trip to LC and Alamo, maybe meet the northerners in TorC?!? Take it from there.

I like my railroad tie plate target-- 2 plates welded side by side= 16"x 16" and AR 50 FMJ rounds barely make an impression at 300YD.
30 cal's don't even dent it. Could make them 24"x24" with 4 plates but it would take a couple of folks to lift them.
Now the thing is finding more of these plates to weld together!

HappyTrails....Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

nmmi9100

Quote from: Jerry Hall on November 30, 2010, 09:43:22 PM
Howdy All.

I can either pick up or receive, if shipped to EP. Then take a day trip to LC and Alamo, maybe meet the northerners in TorC?!? Take it from there.

I like my railroad tie plate target-- 2 plates welded side by side= 16"x 16" and AR 50 FMJ rounds barely make an impression at 300YD.
30 cal's don't even dent it. Could make them 24"x24" with 4 plates but it would take a couple of folks to lift them.
Now the thing is finding more of these plates to weld together!

HappyTrails....Jerry

Jerry:

So do you want an AQT plate?  Assumption would be that if you want to receive them for us, you are ordering some.  Aromatic doesn't show you down for any.  Please let him know.  I think he's going to close this group buy late this week or this weekend.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Jerry Hall

#)Howdy All,

I talked to nick a little while ago and ordered a plate.
He also said that the plates are now posted in the Texas section of the Forum with the manufacturer's info also.

Let's spread the news!

See Y'all soon, Happy Trails....Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

nmmi9100

AROMATIC is going to close the Group buy tomorrow.  We need 11 more targets ordered to reach the final price break.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18937.msg151811;topicseen#msg151811

This is a great opportunity.  If every instructor had ONE of these targets, we could put on one heck of a STEEL FD AQT without having to move the line between stages.

So let AROMATIC know if you want one or two.

-David
Edgewood, NM

nmmi9100

I'm paid up.

What's the consensus on how we're going to ship these things?

If AROMATIC sticks with shipping UPS, we won't save anything to bundle more together because packages over a certain weight are DOUBLE rates.  Actually have had wideners split up steel target orders to make it cheaper.

If we can get truck freight, then we can ship them all to Albuquerque or Las Cruces.  But it'll take a while to get them distributed.

Either way, Pay up as soon as you can.  Then we'll coordinate for the shipping plan.

-David
Edgewood, NM

duc-dog

I'm good with whatever is decided for the shipping.  If it is sent to one person by freight are they going to make the arrangements and payment up-front, then be reimbursed when targets are delivered or picked up?  Or is it easier to make seperate arrangements with AROMATIC.  Let me know either way.
      Milt
If you will not fight when you can easily win without bloodshed.
   You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory because it
      is better to perish than to live as slaves.  
         Winston Churchhill (paraphased)

TaosGlock

Paid today!
If there is no break on shipping in bulk to a central locale, we just have them shipped to our respective individual residences.
We have Alamo (2), Alb(4) and Las Cruces (1) and El Paso (2).
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

TaosGlock

Actually LC and EP could be combined to make it easier on AROMATIC.

Aromatic

Can you guys PM zip codes and I will work on the pricing.

TaosGlock

Will do!