News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Happy Thanksgiving

Started by duc-dog, November 25, 2010, 12:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duc-dog

We have a lot to be thankful for, and I would like to take a sec to thank Fred for starting Appleseed and to thank everyone I have met through Appleseed for their dedication to the mission.  I would particularly like to express my appreciation to the Instructor cadre here in New Mexico, you guys are the best.  Keep our servicemen in your prayers especially the family's separated by deployments.   
     Have a great day,
       Milt   
If you will not fight when you can easily win without bloodshed.
   You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory because it
      is better to perish than to live as slaves.  
         Winston Churchhill (paraphased)

TaosGlock

Thanks for starting this thread Milt.
We do have much to be thankful for. The hard work and dedication of our NM crew will pay off as it will with the rest of the states.
I just saw one of our WSMR guys and he thanked us for what he said was the best marksmanship training he had anywhere, better than the Rangers.
They need our support over there while we will keep the flame of liberty burning here.
Stay safe if traveling and may God bless. 
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

scuzzy

Happy Thanksgiving!!

May God bless us all on this day as we give thanks for all we have.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

JustJeff

Happy Thanksgiving back at ya Milt....and to everyone else.  Milt, you coming for dinner??? You and Marge just need to show up.   We're eating around 2 or 2:30.  Call me 443-3741.  Sam, if you're in the wind you just need to show up too....you KNOW where I live.

P.S.  We have smoked turkey, roast turkey, and baked ham....... The smoked turkey came out really really really good......
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Jerry Hall

Howdy Y'all,

Here's wishing everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving. As I enjoy the fellowship of friends and family, I hope the same for you all.

Do give everyone my regards. See Y'all next weekend.

Happy Trails....Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

duc-dog

Appreciate the offer Jeff, but the wife and I are just going to chill around the house today.  About 2:30 we are going to be in the desert doing a little practice.  We were going up to visit family in Denver but with the storms passing thru we just decided to stay home.  Besides I've got two matches to run this weekend. Why don't you meet Margie and I at the range about 12:30 Sunday and shoot the 100 yd reduced National Match.  We do it with .22's, and the COF is alot like what you are familiar with shooting Appleseed.  You need at least 80 rounds and 7 bucks.  Although that smoked turkey sounds really good...........       Thanks again.
       Take care,
         Milt  

JustJeff

Quote from: duc-dog on November 25, 2010, 02:28:16 PM
    About 2:30 we are going to be in the desert doing a little practice.  

Here ya go trying to make me jealous..... well, it won't work, I tell ya!  **)
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

nmmi9100

Praise the Lord for all our family, friends, and other blessings.   And thanks for the whitetail buck that showed up this morning and met up with my 175 grain nosler comp.

-David
Colorado City, TX

JustJeff

Quote from: NMMI9100 on November 25, 2010, 08:11:43 PM
Praise the Lord for all our family, friends, and other blessings.   And thanks for the whitetail buck that showed up this morning and met up with my 175 grain nosler comp.

-David
Colorado City, TX
O0

oladcock

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Yes, we have a lot to be thankful for and we consider all in Appleseed to be family. Juli and I had the big dinner, chilled out while she was carding Angora and myself cleaning primer pockets. Juli made the comment if Issac Davis were to appear in our living room some 235 years later, he'd know exactly what we were doing...And why....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

TaosGlock

-David
Colorado City, TX
Congrats David! Did you have fresh deer backstrap with the turkey?
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

SamD

Hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving.
Sorry I didn't get over to visit Jeff, worked on the little blue buggy
till mealtime and back out till almost 9 finishing up.

Nearly died today, ate too much, fell asleep at the table, went face first into the cranberry sauce and almost drowned.    **)

hawkhavn

Sam,

Did it take a power washer to get the cranberry sauce out of the mustache???
Or are you going to recommend the folks up in Oregon introduce a cranberry flavored wax?   ;D

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

nmmi9100

Quote from: TaosGlock on November 25, 2010, 11:08:51 PM
-David
Colorado City, TX
Congrats David! Did you have fresh deer backstrap with the turkey?

None yet.  Deer didn't hurt long.  Bullet severed his atria from the ventricles.  Didn't take a step.  Only 142 yards though with my 5r.

oladcock

"went face first into the cranberry sauce and almost drowned."

And we thought you were a natural red-head!  ::) Good deal David, a tasty addition to the freezer! :)....O.L.   
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

JustJeff

Quote from: duc-dog on November 25, 2010, 02:28:16 PM
  Appreciate the offer Jeff, but the wife and I are just going to chill around the house today.  About 2:30 we are going to be in the desert doing a little practice.  We were going up to visit family in Denver but with the storms passing thru we just decided to stay home.  Besides I've got two matches to run this weekend. Why don't you meet Margie and I at the range about 12:30 Sunday and shoot the 100 yd reduced National Match.  We do it with .22's, and the COF is alot like what you are familiar with shooting Appleseed.  You need at least 80 rounds and 7 bucks.  Although that smoked turkey sounds really good...........       Thanks again.
       Take care,
         Milt  

Picked up several hundred rounds of that CCI Mini-Mag yesterday.....and hit the range as well to check my 100yd sighting.  Ended up shooting with Norm and Erik along with one of Norm's friends (Rusty) @ 25yd.  Norm looked really good yesterday (shooting wise).... I have high hopes for him at the January shoot.  Rusty is, well, rusty... but with some high quality fundamental instruction should do well too (he should be there in Jan too).  Looking forward to shooting with you tomorrow Milt.
Jeff
P.S.  I'll bring you a smoked turkey sandwich for lunch.

SamD

Well hawkhaven, I use a steam cleaner on teh thing these days.
The Folks at Oregon Wildhair are all right but I needed a better wax and use Firehouse now.

I may have to get out to that Sunday shoot.
Hopefully the war department has nothing on schedule to inhibit that.

oladcock

We just got back from plinking a few. Jeff, "and hit the range as well to check my 100yd sighting."

Did you start with a 25M zero and if so, how many MOA were you low at 100?....O.L.

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

JustJeff

Quote from: oladcock on November 27, 2010, 05:31:38 PM
We just got back from plinking a few. Jeff, "and hit the range as well to check my 100yd sighting."

Did you start with a 25M zero and if so, how many MOA were you low at 100?....O.L.
OL, the drop is 5 1/2" going from 25 to 100 yds (22 clicks on my scope).  At 200 I lose 21" and change (or thereabouts, 84 clicks if it would do it---"hold high" time for sure).

duc-dog

Must be the day for plink'in.  I had that .22 Action Match to run this morning and no sooner than I get home the wife is hit'en me up to run out to the desert and confirm her 25m and 100yd zero.  We were out yesterday and suspected a problem with her scope, so when we got home yesterday I swapped it out.  I gotta brag a little while I'm here, got a report from my sisters who are attending their first Appleseed.  I guess that they are in the middle of one of those real winterseeds.  But anyway, she gets her patch on her first AQT and calls me up to ask " whats the big deal with this shoot'in stuff".  Check it out on the Hinckely MN AAR when it comes out.

Milt     

oladcock

"But anyway, she gets her patch on her first AQT and calls me up to ask " whats the big deal with this shoot'in stuff".  Check it out on the Hinckely MN AAR when it comes out."

That's too cool! I got a niece who came to visit in October, she'd never shot much through out her life. I put her through a few of the paces while she was here and went home to Fl, bought 4, 10-22's with all the fixings for her 2 kids and husband. They will attend their first Appleseed weekend after next. Creating monsters we are! :)...O.L.

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

duc-dog

Ought to buy stock in Ruger or Marlin.  My youngest sister was down here last Easter with three of her boys and my niece.  I drug em out into the desert and put them through their paces and sent them home with a 795 on the condition that they would get to an AS.  When I was back home last summer I stayed the last couple of days at the other sisters farm, naturally I had a couple of guns and had to do a little 100yd practice. The older sister come out and shot a little and I told her to get with the youngest sister and get to an AS. Well before I make a book of this, by the time I got home she had gone out and bought a 10/22 and got herself set-up to attend an AS.  I did suggest shooting before wintertime; but the weather doesn't really matter to a rifleman, does it.
    Milt   

JustJeff

Ok Milt...I'm sighted to 4moa @ 100yds.  What's the course of fire for this match?  Oh, and 25m AQT is fun to try @ 100.......

duc-dog

It's the regular 80 rnd NRA hi-power match shot at 100yds.  20 rnds slow fire standing, 2 - 10 rnd strings rapid fire sitting, 2 -10 rnd strings of rapid fire prone and 20 rnds slow fire prone. Same mag changes 2 and 8.  NRA rules have you start in position with no mag or round in the chamber.  I use the AS or CMP rule of start standing with an empty gun and load after I get into position.  Good practice for the real thing although the wind value in MOA is about 1/2 that for the .22 at 100yds as my .223 at 600.  look'in forward to that smoked turkey.  see ya tomorrow.
    Milt