News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Anyone going to Pelham later this month who's done one before?

Started by ian-nh, November 03, 2010, 05:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ian-nh

Thinking of doing my first one and I'd like to hear some first hand experiences from other local guys.  I've got a couple 10/22's I'd like to bring and wanted some advice on irons vs scope, sling type, etc..

I live over in Raymond by the way?  Anybody here a member at Raymond Sportsmans Club or Chester Rod and Gun Club?

jrose

I'm a member of the Chester Rod and Gun Club, and I've done 2 Appleseeds so far.  I've used a 10/22 with Tech-Sights, and a Marlin 795 with a scope.  I'm an old guy, and the scope works better for me, but Tech-Sights are great.  A G.I. sling is best, as you'll get good instruction how to use it effectively.  Make sure you bring plenty of ammo that you know works well.  You won't have time, or want to, be messing around with FTF's, FTE's etc.  You'll need at least 4 mags, and if you have one, a loader.  The loader saves wear and tear on your hands.  You will be loading approx 1000 rounds over the weekend.  Tough on thumbs.  A decent mat to lay on is necessary.  You'll be spending a ton of time in prone and/or kneeling or sitting positions.  I would practice ahead of time getting into sitting position from standing, and getting into prone from sitting.  It's not as easy as it sounds when you're on the line.  You'll want to have warm, dry clothing.  Bring raingear, and be prepared to shoot regardless of the weather.  Know your rifle well.  You'll have a GREAT time.  I might be there in Pelham if my schedule allows.