News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR DFW Quail Creek, Nov 13-14

Started by starfox, November 14, 2010, 11:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starfox

21 dedicated shooters on the line.  3 FIRST EVER DFW RIFLEMEN!   :---   Some unique challenges, but another successful Appleseed event at the premier DFW location!

More to come once some well deserved and much earned rest is made.
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

starfox

DFW Quail Creek Nov 13-14, 2010

We had a very successful second Appleseed at DFW Quail Creek.  After this date was scheduled, a conflict was discovered with the range's planned CHL class the same Saturday.  As the CHL students would need the range for the qualifying course of fire, it was decided it would be best to let the CHL class have use of the range first, and then we could have the range so as not in interrupt the flow of Appleseed courses of fire.  Also complicating time factors was we had a NRA event for Civil Air Patrol cadets planned to start at 3:30pm.

To compensate for the delay in being able to be on the range in the morning, we planned a special treat for our shooters.  DoubleLL and Starfox's friend Kip came out in period Morgan's Rifleman dress with some period proper flint lock rifles complete with period bayonets.  He gave an overview of the evolution of rifles up to modern cartridges, told some history of the significance of each firearm to tactics, and then demonstrated loading and firing a flint lock, both by hand, and from a cartridge box.  He also touched on the marksmanship of Morgan's Riflemen.  Our shooters were very impressed by this.  Our sincere thanks and admiration to Kip for helping us out!!   :bow:

While we spent most of the morning talking, the black power demo was a big hit with all our shooters, and I think helped to contribute to their stellar performance this weekend.  O0

Due to the CHL qualification running over we were not able to set up until 10:30am, and first rounds were downrange by 11am.  However, due largely to the DoubleLL's strong leadership as line boss, and our shooters remaining engaged, we were able to finish 98% of the instruction in the four hours.  While no time for AQTs, we did have a huge improvement on the redcoats.

Sunday we had the range to ourselves with no competing events.  We were able to run through refreshers on instruction, work with shooters and got an AQT in before lunch.  After lunch, we initiated the AQT grind.  After the first couple of AQTs, the first ever DFW-area Rifleman was born!  ^:)^ Zach (thesheepdog) shot an impressive 224.  :---  

After a break where we refreshed the shooters spirits with some Dangerous Old Men stories, after the tail end of the AQT grind, two more Riflemen were born, including the FIRST Civil Air Patrol cadet, Dominic!  ..:..  Our other Riflemen, Jason, initially squeaked in with a 211, but then followed that up by knocking it out of the park with a score of 229!   :--- :--- HUZZAH to our new Riflemen!  

In addition to our 3 Riflemen, we also had a significant number of shooters knocking on the door very loudly with consistent scores in the upper 190s and low 200s.  Chaplain Twa, Bob, Mickey, both Erics, Bob, and a few others I am sure I am forgetting, you all CAN DO IT!  I look forward to awarding patches to you all soon!  All the shooters demonstrated the Riflemen's spirit by persisting, adapting, and overcoming.  

Thanks to Grumpy, spitstickler, and AlarmList76 for helping DoubleLL and I make this the most successful DFW Appleseed to date and working through all the unique challenges.  A shoot boss could not ask for a better crew!  O0

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

spitstickler

It was a really great weekend and am so glad that everyone came out to experience Appleseed. Everyone improved throughout the weekend and it was easy to see. Thanks again to Quail Creek for being a gracious and supportive host.

I hope the history helped connect us all back to that time no so long ago, where ordinary men and women sacrificed so that you and I have the opportunities we have today. It is a debt we can never repay. The absolute least we can do is honor them by remembering them.

We talked about the 7th step and telling others about the program. Nothing beats word of mouth, but you can also spread the word to others you know through Facebook and Twitter. Consider giving us a "like" here: http://www.facebook.com/AppleseedTexas and follow us on Twitter: @AppleseedTexas

Some pics from the weekend:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Patriot Gal

Congrats on getting shoots at DFW up and running.  Last year CM and I had to drive down to Davilla to take our sons from Arlington and Phoenix to their first AS.  Now we can come to the Metroplex and head right to an AS!  Thanks!!!   :bow: :bow:

I am impressed with your ability to adapt, improvise and overcome the obstacles to time with which you were presented on Saturday.  You are to be commended.   The demonstration with the flint lock rifles along with pertinent history sounded very interesting.     O0

Congrats to the new Riflemen Zack, Dominic and Jason!!  Well done, well done!! O0

Hope to see you on the trail down in DFW this next season.   BTW Great pics!

As always, thanks for all you do for Appleseed!!!
Patriot Gal   :---

(Not that we didn't like Davilla, we did! Great range and great people.  It was just an add'l 6 hr. rnd. trip drive to the range after driving 15 hrs to get to Grand Prairie and then a 15 hr drive back over a long weekend.  $$-0)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

spitstickler

Some pics of the blackpowder demo. It was very well done. Thank you, Kip!  O0
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Castle Mountain

HOOOOAHHHH!   O0 O0 O0  to the new Riflemen Zack, Dominic and Jason!!  Great job gentlemen.
Come again,bring three more friends and show them  how. So glad the range is closer for  our
family in the DFW area.

Cheers,

CASTLE MOUNTAIN

Quote from: starfox on November 14, 2010, 11:50:05 PM
21 dedicated shooters on the line.  3 FIRST EVER DFW RIFLEMEN!   :---   Some unique challenges, but another successful Appleseed event at the premier DFW location!

More to come once some well deserved and much earned rest is made.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

starfox

Thanks for the excellent photography work as always spitstickler!!   ^:)^

One thing the pictures reminded me of, we did have a DIVA lady on the line with her whole family.  Now, Appleseeds can be challenging for some, but Maggi decided to challenge herself even more by shooting a right-handed bolt action rifle, left handed (due to being left eye dominate).  We were all impressed!  By the end of the weekend she was getting pretty smooth with the rifle, and I think with practice, may give some of our instructors who've qualified with bolt guns a run for their money!!  ;D

DIVA is the organization we will be partnering for our March all-women Appleseed shoot at Quail Creek.  If Maggi is any indication, we're going to have to stock up on Rifleman patches!

Davilla 3-10

doubleLL

Congratulations to all our new Rifleman!  Zach-"thesheepdog" has decided to take up on orange hat and join our Texas instructor crew.   ^:)^  Welcome Zach!!!

I knew we had a rough road with the time delays on Saturday. But, I could not have mastered the schedule without the help of our outstanding instructors and shooters. ALL the shooters were doing well. We had new shooters on the line, who by the end of Saturday were placing OVERLAPING holes on the paper in the BLACK SQUARES!!!! HUZZAH!!!  :---  :---  :---

We started off the weekend with 0 people clearing the Red Coat and by the end of Sunday 5 had cleared the Red Coat and everyone was scoring in the 200-300 silhouettes. I am so proud of all the shooters.  :bow:

I was personally excited to see all the ladies on the line this weekend. You gals did a FANTASTIC job! Barbara, Mickey, Maggi, and Ann- I want to say THANKS for coming out and allowing me work with you.   

I believe this will not be the last time we see the cadets, since Dominic set the bar as the FIRST cadet to make RIFLEMAN! A special thanks to Major Clark and Chaplain for your support in our program. I look forward to seeing you both on the line again in the future.
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

starfox

Yes, we coined a term for Saturday:   Applespeed.   **)

Quote from: Patriot Gal on November 15, 2010, 12:58:36 PM

I am impressed with your ability to adapt, improvise and overcome the obstacles to time with which you were presented on Saturday.  You are to be commended.   The demonstration with the flint lock rifles along with pertinent history sounded very interesting.     O0

Davilla 3-10

EngineWiper

What a privilege it was to spend the weekend with such a great group of folks!  THANK YOU.
Jason

stump172

I've been looking forward to getting to an AS weekend for a few years now, so my expectations were really high.  Those expectations were exceeded with the patience and professionalism of the instructors. 
This was also great group of shooters and I really enjoyed hanging out with everyone this weekend.

Thanks everybody!

BobR

Grumpy

Zach, I am also left-handed/right-eyed. I shoot right handed...just feels natural because it is a right-handed world. #)
Turn off the X-box and focus on the X-ring.