News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bakersfield Appleseed AAR, Nov. 6-7, 2010.

Started by Camljr, November 08, 2010, 02:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camljr

Well, this was a great shoot with 19 brave souls coming out to douse themselves in the heritage and learn a few things about rifle marksmanship.

The weather was cloudy, which kept it cool, and slightly windy on Saturday. I know.... We are spoiled here in California, and they are already having "Winterseeds" back east.

We had quite a few new shooters, and more than a few families, which I love to see.
"A family that shoots together... stays together".... :~

the first redcoat showed we had some work to do... and we had our share of equipment problems to deal with. Glad I had brought 15 slings, as most of them were loaned out to shooters. Finally got equipment issues handled, and down to the instruction... Then we found out that more than a few of the rifles had not been sighted in. Got that handled with a few squares. I want to thank my instructors Cal 7.62 and our special guest, All the way from Colorado, Long Rifle. If not for your help it would have been much more difficult to handle everything we had to do at this shoot... Thanks again... Alan is an excellent instructor and shooting coach, and the shooters excelled under his instruction.

History was pretty cool, as we did the 3 strikes, I shot my Brown Bess replica during 1st strike, at first shot at Lexington green, 2nd strike at first shot at north bridge when Isaac Davis went down, and during third strike at Merriams corner.

I passed around some 75 cal musket balls and let the kids keep one each.  ^:)^  I also let the youth's fire the musket (lighter powder charge) I never saw bigger smiles on a kids face than after that!!!

You parents that took photos of their kids firing the musket, please post them here for all to see, It was so cool!

We made a riflemen Saturday afternoon, and I was jazzed, presented the patch to 17 year old Alex! Then he later told me he shot rifleman a year ago at Piru and this was his and his dad's 8th Appleseed. I guess he is the quiet type!!!
So we ended Saturday with Alex shooting a 223, His dad, Jim, shot a 219,  (both previous appleseeders), Jonathan - 168, Marty - 161, Jon - 149, Shannon - 138 and Josh, 133.

Saturday redcoat showed much improvement from the AM, we did the benediction, talked about 7th stepping, and sent them home to get a good night's rest. I reminded them to set their clocks back and get an extra hour sleep... they were glad about that! O0

Sunday We had IIT Moose come and help out on the line, and glad he did! Long Rifle was a little under the weather, but got better about lunch time...

We had another full line of 19 shooters, and more than a few new shooters, as some of the other attendees had brought them  out for Sunday. We did a sheet of squares and off to the AQT grind. The shooters progressed, trying to find their groove on stages 2 and 3, and kept practicing their hold factors and 6 steps, NPOA, and got better bit by bit.

Freeman had rifle issues, and borrowed a LTR from me and started banging out the hits!!! Ended up with a very close score of 199! Jonathan shot a 185, Marty shot a 179, Tom - 167, Robert - 154, Jan (Porschen) got a 144 shooting a tube fed rifle. We did not make any riflemen this weekend, but saw quite a bit of improvement in all the shooters going from all over the paper on the first redcoat, to actuallly putting some good groups together. I think they all had fun!!

After the benediction, we had half the line interested in the CMP and wiped out my catalog stash! All in All a good shoot, lots of fun, and the attendees got a heavy dose of their heritage and know now their responsibility to carry on and spread their heritage far and wide!!! AND take someone to the range and teach them to shoot..... OR just bring them to an Appleseed.

I will leave room for others to post.   Pictures will be posted after I downsize them a bit.... tomorrow, stay tuned!

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

lydsch

Cam, Steve and Alan,

Just want to thank you guys again for traveling so far to put on such an amazing Appleseed. We had no idea what to expect when we signed up (as evidenced by our lack of slings, mats and lunch) and couldn't be more impressed by how the day turned out. We learned a ton about marksmanship, American history and best of all, had a great day as a family. All three of us are already planning for the next Appleseed. So thanks again for taking the time and making the effort to do what you do. Our forefathers would be proud.

The Rowles Family

Cal 7.62

I'm still tired tonite, $$-0
but, I have good news for those wanting another Bakersfield Appleseed. :~
5 Dogs range just gave us another shoot date. O0
Mark your calenders folks!
-Appleseed Returns to Bakersfield-
         February 26-27, 2011
  ^:)^
P.S. Don't forget to visit our booth at the Bakersfield Gunshow @ the Kern County Fairgrounds Nov. 20-21

Steve 
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

Lane

Thanks to all the instructors it was a great weekend and I am counting the days until Appleseed comes to Bakersfield again. I am hoping to bring 5-6 people in Feb. to come and see what Appleseed is all about. My brother in law Ethan although he didn't quite grasp the shooting techniques at his young age cannot stop talking about his experience, the instructors were great with kids and like I said I cant wait to come back and get my patch. Thanks Again

Tom

Camljr

Tom,

I am glad you and Ethan had a great time, I bet shooting the Musket was a thrill for him!!! He was pretty wide eyed when he was holding it and after he pulled the trigger on it!!!

If you have a picture of him shooting it, post it here... Just click the "modify" button at the top of your post, click the "additional options" at the bottom of the post, and browse to the location of the picture you have downloaded on your computer. click on the picture, and hit the post button. the photo will be posted after 15-30 seconds.

I will post one up so you can see how it will look.....  If you click on the picture, it will get larger so you can see it. click it again, it goes back to smaller. if you click on the link below the picture, you can right click, and save the picture to your computer....

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

Some pictures both days....
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

Johnnyappleseed

Welcome aboard  lydsch and Lane---- I bet RWVA has a Rifleman patch for each of you  ;D
Nice pic's --good shoot at Bakersfield . O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge